Schrade LB-5 new handles and drop point blade.

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade LB-5 new handles and drop point blade.

Post by glennbad »

Nev52 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:46 pm
glennbad wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:26 am For that material, I don't think i would use a pin spinner. I'd just peen them and sand them down flush to the wood.
Glen,
I took your advice on this stockman I just rehandled and replaced the main blade. I sanded the pins down flush with the micarta handles Looks much better.Thank you for the tip. ::handshake::
Nev
schrade 825.jpg
Glad I could help!
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Nev52 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:46 pm
glennbad wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:26 am For that material, I don't think i would use a pin spinner. I'd just peen them and sand them down flush to the wood.
Glen,
I took your advice on this stockman I just rehandled and replaced the main blade. I sanded the pins down flush with the micarta handles Looks much better.Thank you for the tip. ::handshake::
Nev
schrade 825.jpg
Nev, I have a a pin spinner and I don't think I've used it for years. I don't like the "dugout" around the pin head look. For most of mine, I like to peen the pin heads and then polish them with my rotary tool (dremel) to get them perfectly round and shiny. Otherwise, I occasionally haft them down flush with the scales as Glenn suggested. I know this sounds weird, but I actually collect handle material. Whenever I see a good sale or something new that I might want to try, I buy it. You wouldn't believe how much I have accumulated. The point is, when I'm working on a knife and am not sure what handle material I want to use, I lay out a bunch of possibilities on the workbench, with the knife, or a similar model, and visualize what would look best. Lately, stag has been winning a lot. (Culpepper had some really good deals on sambar seconds and bought a few lots from them.) I hope this helps buddy. :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Herb,
Thank you for the information. What type bit do you use on the dremel ? I would like to give it a try. Thank you for your help. ::handshake::

Nev
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Nev52 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:22 am Herb,
Thank you for the information. What type bit do you use on the dremel ? I would like to give it a try. Thank you for your help. ::handshake::

Nev
Nev, attached are some pics. For small objects like handle pin heads and bolsters and tight spaces I use the small 1" polishing wheels shown in the first picture, on my dremel, with tripoli (brown) compound. The bag of 1" wheels comes with a shank that is threaded on the business end with what looks like a wood screw. For larger areas I use a 3" wheel on a heavier motor shown in the last pic.
Attachments
DSCN9941.JPG
DSCN9942.JPG
DSCN9943.JPG
DSCN9944.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks for the information Herb ::handshake:: I have that accessory. Never thought of using that ::dang:: Great Idea. ::tu::
I will give it a try.

Nev

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”