Schrade Walden 825 - What Happened To These Scales???

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade Walden 825 - What Happened To These Scales???

Post by herbva »

So this SW 825 has been sitting in my "on-deck" box for a long time and was recently rediscovered. It is likely from one of the groups of knives I got from our good friend, Roland, over the past few years. It is pre-swinden key, and I am pretty sure it is pre-delrin, so pre-1960? It looks like something terrible happened to the original composite scales, and I can't help being curious about what caused this nasty mess. Maybe acid or a solvent that reacted badly with the synthetic scale material? Anyway, it's got some new, amber, jigged bone now and looks a bit more presentable. Nice, snappy little knife. :D
Attachments
DSCN0814.JPG
DSCN0815.JPG
DSCN0826.JPG
DSCN0822.JPG
DSCN0823.JPG
DSCN0829.JPG
DSCN0825.JPG
DSCN0828.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Meridian_Mike

Re: Schrade Walden 825 - What Happened To These Scales???

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Beautiful job on the restoration!!
VERY nice!!

Looks those old covers were burned or melted (????)
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Yeah, I wondered if they left it sitting too close to a campfire or something.
It did look terrible, but it does look wonderful now!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Just a wonderful job. The threaded bolsters are a plus in my book.

Bob
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Looks like a proper knife now!
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

glennbad wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:12 pm Looks like a proper knife now!
Thanks Glenn. I really wish that I could get those darn pin heads figured out. Lately, many of the knives that I work on have the pin heads showing after I'm done. I'm tapering the holes, using the correct pin stock, use spacers ("slackeners") to prevent over tightening, and carefully peen. Generally, on a jack, like this one, the pin heads show on the end where the blades pivot, but not the other end, even though I do both ends the same way. Sometimes they don't show up until after I've been done working on a knife for a few days. The last picture above is a perfect example. Any ideas? Thanks, as always. Herb
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

herbva wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:19 pm
Thanks Glenn. I really wish that I could get those darn pin heads figured out. Lately, many of the knives that I work on have the pin heads showing after I'm done. I'm tapering the holes, using the correct pin stock, use spacers ("slackeners") to prevent over tightening, and carefully peen. Generally, on a jack, like this one, the pin heads show on the end where the blades pivot, but not the other end, even though I do both ends the same way. Sometimes they don't show up until after I've been done working on a knife for a few days. The last picture above is a perfect example. Any ideas? Thanks, as always. Herb
I dont taper the holes personally. I use a feeler gauge cut out to slip between blade and liner and around the pin. Sometimes they show sometimes they dont. I think they show when not peened enough. No proof just my opinion.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I still get pins showing, so it's not an isolated issue. I do have most of my issues on Case knives, for some reason.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Same. I think sometimes that I am tapering the holes at too steep an angle, so that it only has a very thin flare at the end. I am going to try to cut my tapers a little deeper to see if that helps.
I have stopped using a slackener. After watching Muskrat Man videos and practicing some, I can normally peen the pins about right without getting them too tight. That has actually helped a little with the pins showing, but not enough.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Looks great Herb ::tu:: I really like the bone.

Nev

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”