SOG Stingray "Kraton" (Rubber) Scale Replacement - Any Thoughts?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

SOG Stingray "Kraton" (Rubber) Scale Replacement - Any Thoughts?

Post by herbva »

This very cool SOG Stingray arrived today, part of a lot of various knives that were in a TSA "confiscation" auction. There was one knife in this lot that I really wanted, and I got it, so I have nothing to complain about. But, I really do like this Stingray, except the "Kraton" (rubber) handle scales are rather sticky and I'm afraid that they are deteriorating. I tried all the "expert" advice I found on the internet today (washing with detergent, rub with alcohol, baking soda, etc.) and nothing made the stickiness any better. In fact, it may be a little worse now. I don't see any pin heads or other obvious means by which the "Kraton" scales are attached, so I assume they are just glued on. Before I do any more damage to this knife, I am asking for opinions. My first preference is to find some other treatment for the "Kraton" that makes it no longer sticky. After that, if I can find some similarly checkered handle material for this knife, I might be willing to try that, but would hate to destroy a cool knife that is just a bit sticky. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated! :D
Attachments
DSCN0811.JPG
DSCN0812.JPG
DSCN0813.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: SOG Stingray "Kraton" (Rubber) Scale Replacement - Any Thoughts?

Post by Reverand »

I have no ideas on restoring the Kraton, but I wonder if SOG has a warranty for something like that?
Of course, I also imagine that it would be beautiful customized in some dark wood, or smooth white bone instead. That would be much more fun!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I wish I could help you Herb but I have no idea how you would accomplish removing the sticky feeling on that knife. It's an awfully good looking knife, it would be a shame to ruin the covers. I was going to suggest isopropyl alcohol to get rid of the sticky feeling, but I don't know how the Kraton would react to it. Hope you find a solution, it's a beautiful becoming rare knife! 8) EDIT: If you don't mind how it would look, perhaps some good ole' talcum powder on your hands before using your knife? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Armor-All will probably help the stickiness.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:51 am Armor-All will probably help the stickiness.
So, I tried scrubbing it with dish washing detergent, rinsed and dried, (now a little bit improved), then rubbed it with isopropyl rubbing alcohol, (now even more improved but still a little sticky). Then I tried Bill's suggestion of Armor-All, and bingo, perfect! I have no idea if the Armor-All alone would have produced the same result. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:51 am Armor-All will probably help the stickiness.
Herb - I've watched Bill over the years kindly share his well-earned wisdom with us, we are lucky to have him here ::tu::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Have you thought about using Ray skin as a re-handle? I see plenty of Japanese swords with Ray. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:32 pm Have you thought about using Ray skin as a re-handle? I see plenty of Japanese swords with Ray. ::tu::
John, as the saying goes, I'll probably "leave well alone" at this point. But, you have aroused my easily aroused curiosity - where does one get "Ray skin" and are we talking about real stingray skin? :D

Herb
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295136070372?m ... media=COPY

It is traditionally used on Japanese swords. I am not sure how to install it as knife scales, but I am sure that there are those who can!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

herbva wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:35 pm
1967redrider wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:32 pm Have you thought about using Ray skin as a re-handle? I see plenty of Japanese swords with Ray. ::tu::
John, as the saying goes, I'll probably "leave well alone" at this point. But, you have aroused my easily aroused curiosity - where does one get "Ray skin" and are we talking about real stingray skin? :D
Reverand wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:12 pm https://www.ebay.com/itm/295136070372?m ... media=COPY

It is traditionally used on Japanese swords. I am not sure how to install it as knife scales, but I am sure that there are those who can!

That's the ticket, Reverand. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

While it seems you may have solved your issue for now, I thought I would add the following.

I carried a Stingray or the similar Sogwinder I (drop point blde with thumb stud) for many years. Great knives! After considerable pocket time the Kraton would do exactly what you described. My solution was to send it in to the SOG Service Center and have the Kraton replaced. Did that twice, and got back a fully repaired knife with Kraton checkering that could almost break the skin. I was very pleased. So there is always that option.

I have a custom sheath made with Stingray skin. I like it a lot.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

hardman wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:40 am While it seems you may have solved your issue for now, I thought I would add the following.

I carried a Stingray or the similar Sogwinder I (drop point blde with thumb stud) for many years. Great knives! After considerable pocket time the Kraton would do exactly what you described. My solution was to send it in to the SOG Service Center and have the Kraton replaced. Did that twice, and got back a fully repaired knife with Kraton checkering that could almost break the skin. I was very pleased. So there is always that option.
:D
I have a c :x ustom sheath made with Stingray skin. I like it a lot.
::tired::
Thanks Gary! If that "stickyness" comes back, I am going to follow your advice and send it to them. :D

Herb
piperfect

Post by piperfect »

I have a Tomcat 3.0 and the stickiness is what I like about it. It stays stuck in my hand when it gets bloody.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

To each his own Piper! ::tu:: Also, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
view-master

Post by view-master »

I am having the same issue with my SOG tomcat. The Kraton was so bad it seen like every time I touched it , the rubber was smearing the lines so I took them off .They are hold only by to little holes under the Kraton, I need to find me another set , or find something better.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I've owned a couple of knives like this one. It's not an inexpensive knife. I'd suggest it might be worth more as is that if it is rehandled. If you're going to keep it, that may not be an issue for you. But if you think you might want to flip it and make a few bucks, "as is" would be my suggestion.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”