Celluloid gone bad.

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
OSCAR

Re: Celluloid gone bad.

Post by OSCAR »

I only bought one knife with celluloid handles. I like the look but outgas is a big problem. I bought it because it’s unusual. One side of tang is stamped Case and opposite side of the tang stamped Solingen. Not sure if it’s a collaboration or ? Couldn’t find information about it. I sent it to a professional for rehandling with bone when it started to outgas. The re handle turned out great. Glad I was able to keep a great knife without it corroding. If anyone knows about this knife’s history, please let me know. I bought it about 40 years ago. Never saw another one like it.
Attachments
Case/Solingen before re handle work done
Case/Solingen before re handle work done
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:48 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:57 am Completely agree Q. Nothing wrong with modifying however the owner wants it whether individuals think it ruins the value or not. Most of the mods I see around here save a knife, or improve it, some even take it up a notch to a one-of-a-kind. And some people think chopped hotrods are much cooler than the original was. Even if it was some sacred cow like this Compagna Real Lambsfoot. It might be sacrilege to some to change the scales out but that's just a subjective opinion. And no disrespect intended to Charlie C at all, but what Glennbad did to this knife made it a true one of a kind. It's the only stag I've seen like this one. Yeah Glen did another one, but it doesn't look like this at all because of the fabulous stag Glen pics out. It used to be like half the other Real Lambsfoot knives Charlie had GEC put out, Ebony and fine, but not fabulous. Now it's fabulous. Blows the others in Ebony away IMHO. And I would bet the farm the value went up, not down. But to each his own, your results may vary.
I don't know how I missed this one, but that is one of the nicest knives I've seen Iman, and I'm a huge fan of Ebony. Beautiful knife my friend! 8)

Totally agree, I love a good Ebony scale and have a few that I really love. But truth be told, this one's Ebony was uneven and over sanded/ground between the pins. It was still a good looking knife, functioned perfect, but what Glennbad did to it hit it out of the park, over the fence, and into the parking lot. It's a whole new ballgame and I think a much better show IMHO. I wouldn't trade it back for the Ebony ever, I'm in love with it now and feel it went from one-of-the-run, to a one-of-a-kind. And not only one-of-a-kind, but also exceptional stag instead of plain jane Ebony. IMHO, others results may vary. Thanks for the comments Marco, hats off to Glenn for another stellar improvement that I have no doubt will be worth more in the future than just another Ebony wood cover.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Oscar that knife was made more than likely in The early 90’s during the time Parker owned case. And was made in Germany on contract. I have rehandled 3 of that exact knife.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

BIGHEAD wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:06 am Oscar that knife was made more than likely in The early 90’s during the time Parker owned case. And was made in Germany on contract. I have rehandled 3 of that exact knife.
Bighead, thanks for the information. I’ve tried to get some info on this knife for decades.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:12 am
Ivoryman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:57 am Completely agree Q. Nothing wrong with modifying however the owner wants it whether individuals think it ruins the value or not. Most of the mods I see around here save a knife, or improve it, some even take it up a notch to a one-of-a-kind. And some people think chopped hotrods are much cooler than the original was. Even if it was some sacred cow like this Compagna Real Lambsfoot. It might be sacrilege to some to change the scales out but that's just a subjective opinion. And no disrespect intended to Charlie C at all, but what Glennbad did to this knife made it a true one of a kind. It's the only stag I've seen like this one. Yeah Glen did another one, but it doesn't look like this at all because of the fabulous stag Glen pics out. It used to be like half the other Real Lambsfoot knives Charlie had GEC put out, Ebony and fine, but not fabulous. Now it's fabulous. Blows the others in Ebony away IMHO. And I would bet the farm the value went up, not down. But to each his own, your results may vary.
I don't know how I missed this one, but that is one of the nicest knives I've seen Iman, and I'm a huge fan of Ebony. Beautiful knife my friend! 8)

Totally agree, I love a good Ebony scale and have a few that I really love. But truth be told, this one's Ebony was uneven and over sanded/ground between the pins. It was still a good looking knife, functioned perfect, but what Glennbad did to it hit it out of the park, over the fence, and into the parking lot. It's a whole new ballgame and I think a much better show IMHO. I wouldn't trade it back for the Ebony ever, I'm in love with it now and feel it went from one-of-the-run, to a one-of-a-kind. And not only one-of-a-kind, but also exceptional stag instead of plain jane Ebony. IMHO, others results may vary. Thanks for the comments Marco, hats off to Glenn for another stellar improvement that I have no doubt will be worth more in the future than just another Ebony wood cover.
I hope you didn't feel I was criticizing your choice to have Glenn re-do the covers in stag bud, cuz I certainly wasn't, ::handshake:: as much as I like Ebony there's no denying the stag looks better. When I re-read my comment I can't honestly say what I was referring to, I must have been having a "senior's moment", cuz my comment doesn't fit in that discussion anywhere. ::facepalm:: I don't like this gettin' old stuff! :x ! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I have one of those Germany stamped Case knives in Tortoise Shell cell, so far it's doing fine. But I keep a close eye on it.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... se#p288750
Attachments
P1270061.jpg
P1270062.jpg
P1270063.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:55 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:12 am

I hope you didn't feel I was criticizing your choice to have Glenn re-do the covers in stag bud, cuz I certainly wasn't, ::handshake:: as much as I like Ebony there's no denying the stag looks better. When I re-read my comment I can't honestly say what I was referring to, I must have been having a "senior's moment", cuz my comment doesn't fit in that discussion anywhere. ::facepalm:: I don't like this gettin' old stuff! :x ! 8)

I never think you're criticizing bud, not even on my radar. I appreciate the comments, I agree and like Ebony and didn't take issue or offense to any of it. Don't worry about it bud, I know you're not out to stir the pot or offend and feel free to state whatever is on your mind with me. I don't want you to think you have to walk on eggshells with me believe me. Know you well enough on here to welcome your comments and never think you're making digs at me or the knives. Thanks for being concerned about it, but don't worry yourself to the point of not saying anything. Don't want that. Thanks always and all the best.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks bud! ::handshake:: ! 8)
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:23 pm I have one of those Germany stamped Case knives in Tortoise Shell cell, so far it's doing fine. But I keep a close eye on it.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=30968&p=288750&hil ... se#p288750
I had the same knife with gold speckled celluloid. I had it rehandled when I noticed it. If you wait and see, be sure to store it away from your other knives. PS I love the knife. One of my favorite knives.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:23 pm I have one of those Germany stamped Case knives in Tortoise Shell cell, so far it's doing fine. But I keep a close eye on it.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=30968&p=288750&hil ... se#p288750
I had the same knife with gold speckled celluloid. I had it rehandled when I noticed it. If you wait and see, be sure to store it away from your other knives. PS I love the knife. One of my favorite knives.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Another save by mod master BIGHEAD: outgassing celluloid replaced with Mammoth Ivory

BEFORE
P9150007.JPG
P9150003.JPG

AFTER
PA180004.JPG
PA180003.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice save and a knife worthy of a place in your collection Q!
::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”