Celluloid gone bad.

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
BIGHEAD

Celluloid gone bad.

Post by BIGHEAD »

I had a customer send me this knife. ( he took the scales off at my suggestion until he decided what he wanted) this knife was in rough shape liners all green and starting to errode the bolsters were black. I put some smooth red bone on at his request and inlaid the shield back let me know what y’all think.
41377B4E-03D5-412D-AA46-45A2B185FB1C.jpeg
278F4AE4-13B4-4E6F-877C-619B52DA38FB.jpeg
Ivoryman

Re: Celluloid gone bad.

Post by Ivoryman »

Looks great to me. Can't believe how clean you got the liners. Great job, great save. Another BIGHEAD score.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

BIGHEAD wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:26 am this knife was in rough shape liners all green and starting to errode the bolsters were black. I put some smooth red bone on at his request and inlaid the shield back let me know what y’all think.
Nice save, Barry. Mammoth Ivory would have looked killer on that knife, but the smooth red bone is nice too. ::tu::

I am always impressed with a well-inlaid shield on a resto job.... seems like that's one of the harder details to get just right. 8)
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
eveled

Post by eveled »

Looks great! Nice save.
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:32 am
BIGHEAD wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:26 am this knife was in rough shape liners all green and starting to errode the bolsters were black. I put some smooth red bone on at his request and inlaid the shield back let me know what y’all think.
Nice save, Barry. Mammoth Ivory would have looked killer on that knife, but the smooth red bone is nice too. ::tu::

I am always impressed with a well-inlaid shield on a resto job.... seems like that's one of the harder details to get just right. 8)
Q putting a shield back is my least favorite thing to do.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice, great job all the way around ::tu:: ::tu:: It probably have ended up in the trash, nice save.
Bill
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

BIGHEAD wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:18 am

Very nice work Barry! ::tu:: ::tu:: The "gunstock" jacks are one of my favorite patterns. From what I can see in your pictures, it looks like you did a real fine job on the shield inlay. Cutting out the shield inlay is also my least favorite task. I never know how its going to turn out.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

yes sir! That knife looks great!
Beautiful save Herb!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

BIGHEAD wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:18 am

I agree Q, the red bone does look nice and inlaying the shield is one more difficult parts of a restoration.
Barry I'm right there with you, the shield is my least favorite part of a restoration! Nice work! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

The owner is going to thank the celluloid for outgassing, because that knife is prettier now than it ever was new!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Thanks all.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I agree, Shield work = ::dang::

Yours looks nice!
TPK

Post by TPK »

Very well done! A++ ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Excellent work! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Excellent job!

Is it a dumb idea to buy a really high-quality knife that has suffered outgassing and then getting it rehandled or doing it yourself to save costs vs. a nice bone one? I've noticed several Bulldogs and Fightin' Roosters that have gassy handles people want near-nothing for. f
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I don't think that it is a bad idea, but it doesn't always work out. I have bought some that were in far worse shape than they first looked. I have had a couple that didn't look too bad until AFTER I pulled the celluloid off, then the liners have just disintegrated and blades and springs were too eaten up to re-use.
I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the more modern German celluloids outgas worse than old US celluloid, and is more caustic when it does.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 pm Excellent job!

Is it a dumb idea to buy a really high-quality knife that has suffered outgassing and then getting it rehandled or doing it yourself to save costs vs. a nice bone one? I've noticed several Bulldogs and Fightin' Roosters that have gassy handles people want near-nothing for. f
Fighting Roosters are some of the worst and I have a customer tbat wont stop buying them. I have rehandled probably 50 for him in the last year.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

As a collector I think a knife that was originally celluloid and now re-handed with bone or other non-original material has significantly lessened value. That’s as related to collectable knives - re-handling a “user” can be done with whatever suits your fancy, but I think sometimes those eventually (sometimes intentionally) get passed off to the unknowing as being original. That is my personal opinion, others may disagree.

I have some knives that were originally celluloid, and going bad when I acquired them. Case graciously replaced the old celluloid with new synthetic material of the same color - yellow Delrin (or whatever it is) for the old yellow celluloid. Those I consider to not have significantly diminished value since they are repaired as original, by the manufacturer. I may be self-delusional however since I've not tried to re-sell any of them, nor would I do so without disclosing the replaced handles.

I've considered buying some old celluloids having problems, and replacing the covers with modern synthetic material (Kirinite or similar which is sometimes available from Culpeppers or Jantz etc) that mimics the original celluloid appearance. Copies of celluloid look-alikes such as Goldstone, swirls, and others are sometimes available. Again to preserve the authenticity as near as possible I would replace the celluloid with as close to original colors as I can find.

It's just me but I wish more people would try to maintain the integrity of the original as near as possible. I'm the same way with my Model A Ford - I shudder every time I see one that somebody has "chopped" into a bastardized hot rod. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

I am pretty sure all of these Cattaragus celluloids are close to 100 years old and still perfect.
Attachments
50D422C3-64F8-4887-AC27-43404198D659.jpeg
53E35E0D-ADA0-43C5-AD29-9FBF6A27ADF5.jpeg
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:59 am As a collector I think a knife that was originally celluloid and now re-handed with bone or other non-original material has significantly lessened value. That’s as related to collectable knives - re-handling a “user” can be done with whatever suits your fancy, but I think sometimes those eventually (sometimes intentionally) get passed off to the unknowing as being original. That is my personal opinion, others may disagree.

I have some knives that were originally celluloid, and going bad when I acquired them. Case graciously replaced the old celluloid with new synthetic material of the same color - yellow Delrin (or whatever it is) for the old yellow celluloid. Those I consider to not have significantly diminished value since they are repaired as original, by the manufacturer. I may be self-delusional however since I've not tried to re-sell any of them, nor would I do so without disclosing the replaced handles.

I've considered buying some old celluloids having problems, and replacing the covers with modern synthetic material (Kirinite or similar which is sometimes available from Culpeppers or Jantz etc) that mimics the original celluloid appearance. Copies of celluloid look-alikes such as Goldstone, swirls, and others are sometimes available. Again to preserve the authenticity as near as possible I would replace the celluloid with as close to original colors as I can find.

It's just me but I wish more people would try to maintain the integrity of the original as near as possible. I'm the same way with my Model A Ford - I shudder every time I see one that somebody has "chopped" into a bastardized hot rod. ::dang::

Ken
Well thought out Ken I personally stay away from it all together but if someone sends me a knife and wants to lay me to rehandle it in whatever material I will do it. It may devalue the knife but it isn’t my knife to take that into consideration. Any I do has my name engraved on theinside of the liner and send a coa for the work done. So if the buyer really looks at the knife they will know it isn’t original.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 pm Excellent job!

I'd buy them all in a minute. I have quite a few nice old Remingtons that were gassing and I rehandled them for EDC use.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I like having knives modified for several reasons, none of which is to keep them as close to original as possible. In fact, just the opposite; I like having unique, one-of-a-kind knives in my collection. I have purchased factory knives both new and old with the specific intent of having them modified to my own personal preference. I believe that most (not all) of the knives I have had modified are worth much more now than they were in their original state. For example, all the knives I've had rehandled in Stag, Mammoth & Elephant ivory that started out as run-of-the-mill production knives with either bone or synthetic handles are now much more valuable than they were before being modified. So, just as a counterpoint to Ken's philosophy that modifying a knife in anything but original material (or as close to original as possible) decreases the value, modifying a knife with a more desirable or rare material can actually enhance/increase its collector value. And it has the added benefit of making my collection totally unique and personalized. Ironically, with very few exceptions, my "value added" modified knives are the ones I'll never sell, so any talk of increased or decreased value is moot as far as my collection goes. Clearly, there's more than one way to skin a mule...or, in this case, to collect knives. ::nod::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Completely agree Q. Nothing wrong with modifying however the owner wants it whether individuals think it ruins the value or not. Most of the mods I see around here save a knife, or improve it, some even take it up a notch to a one-of-a-kind. And some people think chopped hotrods are much cooler than the original was. Even if it was some sacred cow like this Compagna Real Lambsfoot. It might be sacrilege to some to change the scales out but that's just a subjective opinion. And no disrespect intended to Charlie C at all, but what Glennbad did to this knife made it a true one of a kind. It's the only stag I've seen like this one. Yeah Glen did another one, but it doesn't look like this at all because of the fabulous stag Glen pics out. It used to be like half the other Real Lambsfoot knives Charlie had GEC put out, Ebony and fine, but not fabulous. Now it's fabulous. Blows the others in Ebony away IMHO. And I would bet the farm the value went up, not down. But to each his own, your results may vary.
Attachments
thumbnail_20220421_132424.jpg
thumbnail_20220421_100750.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Great job!! I really like the red bone. ::tu::
Nev
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ivoryman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:57 am Completely agree Q. Nothing wrong with modifying however the owner wants it whether individuals think it ruins the value or not. Most of the mods I see around here save a knife, or improve it, some even take it up a notch to a one-of-a-kind. And some people think chopped hotrods are much cooler than the original was. Even if it was some sacred cow like this Compagna Real Lambsfoot. It might be sacrilege to some to change the scales out but that's just a subjective opinion. And no disrespect intended to Charlie C at all, but what Glennbad did to this knife made it a true one of a kind. It's the only stag I've seen like this one. Yeah Glen did another one, but it doesn't look like this at all because of the fabulous stag Glen pics out. It used to be like half the other Real Lambsfoot knives Charlie had GEC put out, Ebony and fine, but not fabulous. Now it's fabulous. Blows the others in Ebony away IMHO. And I would bet the farm the value went up, not down. But to each his own, your results may vary.
I don't know how I missed this one, but that is one of the nicest knives I've seen Iman, and I'm a huge fan of Ebony. Beautiful knife my friend! 8)
8)

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”