Nagle Reblade Knife

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Nagle Reblade Knife

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

The other day I was looking thru my Goins for a tang stamp, and I happened upon this interesting knife design. Imagine knife mechanics if all we had to do was to use a tiny screwdriver to take the broken or poorly sharpened blade out or one that had worn out and had no snap and replace it with new in minutes. Of course it would totally rely on a continuous supply of new replacement parts being readily available. Maybe that is why it never really got off the ground. Just wondering, has anyone actually ever seen one of these?
IMG_4334.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
ScoutKnives

Re: Nagle Reblade Knife

Post by ScoutKnives »

Try this thread , very sought after brand !

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... ilit=Nagle
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:03 pm The.....
Or here:
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... =4&t=71037

Or here:
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... de#p913194

There are more.....
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Thanks for the info and links to Nagle Knives. But unfortunately none of the pictures or links provided show the Nagle knife shown in the patent drawing in my original post. The one shown used a screw and block to lock the knife blade into the handle. All the ones in the links shown have used a hooked tang with a slot to allow changing the blade, same as many other companies including Case have used. The patent drawing states that the method shown was only one of several methods Nagle used to change blades. It was this block and screw method that I was referring to as shown in the diagram and asking if anyone had ever seen one of those.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Quite likely this patent was never put into production. Many patents by many knife companies were never actually put into production. I have seen some pretty larger Nagle collections and never seen one with the screw. The whole object was not to provide replacement blades for worn or broken blades, it was to have a knife that you could get many different blades as needed for different uses. I have seen a full factory canvas pouch that held a dozen different blades.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The Nagles shown, along with the replacement blades, remind me of a Case Changer. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:54 am The Nagles shown, along with the replacement blades, remind me of a Case Changer. ::nod::
That is the one I have called the XX Changer. I also have a Daniel Peres that has a similar hooked blade. Makes sense that it probably was never produced, that screw would have to be tiny, and making those tiny parts back in the day problematic.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:04 am
1967redrider wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:54 am The Nagles shown, along with the replacement blades, remind me of a Case Changer. ::nod::
That is the one I have called the XX Changer. I also have a Daniel Peres that has a similar hooked blade. Makes sense that it probably was never produced, that screw would have to be tiny, and making those tiny parts back in the day problematic.

And imagine the size of a screwdriver one would need. Just the least bit of rust and you're done.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Great question OC. Maybe Mike (aka Galvanic1882) will chime in. He wrote the definitive article on Nagle blades for Knife World some years ago. If anyone has one or has seen one it is probably Mike.

Dennis
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That is an interesting concept.

I would imagine the blades could not be very small..... making a screw to fit into a spot in a really small (comfortable in your pocket) size knife, would be a task!

I have seen some SMALL screws inside guns but not really small enough for what I am imagining these blade screw to be.

NOW.... that I have said that.... let me go read the above links everyone has posted so I can have my mind changed..... LOL.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

As Gene said I have never seen a Nagle based on the patent shown and doubt they were ever put into full production. The Nagle pouch I have has 12 different blade types included in it which points to the diversity you could get in a single knife. Nagle had 9 different blade types that would fit their model C, 2 and 4 blade pen knives, 12 different blades that would fit their larger model J and B jacks and 13 blades to fit their large Model A four blade knives.
Attachments
Nagle 001 (2).jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

btrwtr wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:38 pm As Gene said I have never seen a Nagle based on the patent shown and doubt they were ever put into full production. The Nagle pouch I have has 12 different blade types included in it which points to the diversity you could get in a single knife. Nagle had 9 different blade types that would fit their model C, 2 and 4 blade pen knives, 12 different blades that would fit their larger model J and B jacks and 13 blades to fit their large Model A four blade knives.
That is wonderful, Wayne! Thanks for sharing it.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”