Canal Street - Moore Maker Trapper TLC

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Canal Street - Moore Maker Trapper TLC

Post by treefarmer »

There is a lot of satisfaction in cleaning up a neglected old knife.
You did a wonderful job, handle looks great with a proper shield in place and the ding in the spay has disappeared. ::tu::
Very nice!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Suredan wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:24 pm That is really a nice clean up. Please educate me; how can you tell a Moore Maker knife was made by Canal Street?
As I mentioned, I bought the knife from Steve Pfeiffer, and he told me it was made by Canal. I know that Moore Maker has used a variety of contractors to make their knives. Based on the quality of this knife, and the mesquite wood, I makes complete sense to me that it is a Canal Street. Other than that, I don't know if there is a more definitive way to tell. It is stamped 2009 on the spay, so maybe that is when Canal was making knives for Moore?
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:55 pm Nice job! I The wood turned out great. almost considered buying it as a user, but my knife redo skills aren't good enough. I thought I could probably never get those chips out without making a mess out of the blades and taking away too much metal.

I treat my Bear and Utica MMs no better than my Case, Schrade, and Camillus users (which aren't abused, but not babied either). But, I have one 2001 dated Queen-made 4 3/8" (5304) Stockman that I found used for $40; and that knife was $125 new back in 2001. That is probably the best modern knife I own. While it had a tiny chip in the bone; and had been heavily used; I could tell it had been cared for and properly maintained. A Canal Street I'd expect was that much if not more. Basically, expensive. Yet, to see that kind of abuse?!! Geez. Even my Rough Ryders aren't treated that rough, and they're my beaters. I will do stuff with those that my American and German stuff never touches. I've never severely damaged a Mora, and I use those rougher than any other knife I own.
If you expand the pictures and look carefully, you can see that I couldn't quite get all of the flea bites (chips) and scratches out of the blades. I try to stop when any more metal removed would significantly alter the lines of the blade or make it look molested. It's a balancing act and most of the time the best I try to do is "tone down" the chips, coarse grinder marks, deep scratches or other damage. I'm with you, it is hard to believe that someone would mistreat a knife like this that badly. But, I see it all the time.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Suredan wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:24 pm That is really a nice clean up. Please educate me; how can you tell a Moore Maker knife was made by Canal Street?
Hmmmm....

That is a good question.

I hope somebody chimes in on that.... I have a couple of the MMs and I would like to know who made them too.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

If you want to know who made your Moore Maker, just call them at (806) 347-2848. If you give them all the information on the knife they can look it up in their records and tell you. I've done it a couple of times.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

herbva wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:21 pm
1967redrider wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:31 am Excellent work, Herb!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: I love that knife just the way it is, and you're right about the quality of Canal Street knives, they're high on my list.

Let me know if you're thinking about getting rid of that one. 😉👍
Well, every man has his price. John, you need to see it in person soon. :D

Can't wait to see it in person, Herb! 🤑 🤑 🤑
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:51 pm
Hmmmm....

That is a good question.

I hope somebody chimes in on that.... I have a couple of the MMs and I would like to know who made them too.

::tu::

Being a Canal Street collector, I'm very familiar with most, if not all, of the standard Canal Street patterns. I'm also well aware that Canal Street made knives for Moore Makers. This knife is a twin to the Canal Street Full Moon Trapper as far as frame and blade shape go. In addition to all that, I acquired a small assortment of shields that came from the Canal Street factory when it closed. Among them were a couple of the Moore Maker shields, one of which now graces Herbs refurbished knife.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”