Case 6265 SAB

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Case 6265 SAB

Post by beresman »

So I got this Case knife pretty cheap. Broken handle and spring pivot pin; blades worn and sharpened, but not horribly so; springs were intact. I tore it apart, sawed up a piece of walnut for the handle, and started working on it.

I will say this is the first time I've used wood for a handle, and I'm quite pleased with the way this turned out. Of course, it's bigger, so the wood would be harder to crack (which it didn't do!), but I'm still pretty pleased that it came out as well as it did.

The bolsters were pretty dinged up , and I decided to leave it with the "rustic" look, as I would have lost .030' or more getting some of those divots out.

I also didn't do any more than use some fine steel wool on the blades and springs to get the rust off and smooth things up.

I did get the lathe put back together and turned down a pin for the blades--I did better than I thought I would; got the right size with very little run-out on the first try! That was gratifying. It's been a long time since I've been in a machine shop--and the lathe I have is much more primitive than the ones I used to use.

Putting the knife back together went relatively smoothly, thanks mostly to the tricks I've learned here and the knowledge gleaned from mistakes of the past.

Oh, and I shaped the heads of the handle pins on the lathe too--that was a big improvement over my past efforts.

I'm thinking of taking the kick (is that the correct term?) on the clip blade down a little, as the tip of the blade stands proud of the handle by a little (maybe .060"). I think I can do this without risking the edge hitting the spring if I'm careful--do you guys do that kind of thing in a situation like this?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this one--it's a little big for a carry for me, as I keep my EDC in the same pocket as keys etc, and this will really bulk out my pocket. I'll think of something, though...
Attachments
IMG_0871.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG
Brent
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Case 6265 SAB

Post by Colonel26 »

Outstanding work! That one would fit real well in my overalls pocket. I have a newer version of that one that I carry in the fall to unzip Babi’s britches. They’re great knives.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Excellent job! ::tu:: I like that wood grain too, really sets it off.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Very nice save! I would say that one would be easy to carry just like Bro Wade described. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice save!

My first knife clean-up and re-cover was done with wood. It lets you get your feet wet in knife repair and is a forgiving cover media.

Good work!

::tu::

P.S.....

IF you adjust the kick at all..... be VERY careful. A little off the kick goes a LONG way.
(It look fine in profile to me.....)
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”