7/64 rod/pin stock

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

7/64 rod/pin stock

Post by beresman »

I have a Case 6265SAB that had a broken handle and spring pivot pin. I've taken it apart and started making new handles for it, and tried to make sure I had the correct materials to reassemble it when the time comes. The spring pins are 3/32" diameter, no problem. The blade picot, however, is 7/64" (.109"). I don't have that, and I can't find it anywhere. I've tried the links in the "Pin Stock Suppliers" thread, to no avail.

I googled it, and USA Knife has brass in that size, but that doesn't seem like a good idea for the blade pivot. McMaster has tool steel in that size...also not what I want to do.

I can try to turn down some 3mm stock to make one, but thought I'd see if anyone had any other ideas. I'm not terribly confident of my ability to get a consistent diameter without noticeable run-out.
Brent
Bill DeShivs

Re: 7/64 rod/pin stock

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Just turn it down. I do it all the time.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 7/64 rod/pin stock

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Yes, I make lot of pins of odd sizes by turning down bigger stuff. It is really your only option in most cases.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”