Western 743 Resto

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Western 743 Resto

Post by orvet »

I haven't had a great deal of time recently to work on knives, summer is coming, my wife his some health issues and so do my parents and I am trying to reorganize and condensed my work area in my shop. I feel like I'm being pulled in multiple directions. I am trying to get rid of some of the things I thought I couldn't live without, at one time. I will post some pictures of it when I'm finished with the shop but in the meantime I was able to finish this project that I started some time ago.
This is a Western 743, sort of a cross between a trapper and a Stockman. It has a California clip blade, (Western's term for it), and a long spey blade with the sheepfoot blade at the opposite end. Interesting design, but I suspect it was designed with the working cowboy or rancher in mind. I can recall our neighboring ranchers usually carried a knife with a long spey blade in it when working cattle. As I mentioned above the snap up the clip blade when closing is not really strong. It had more wear to the tang than I realized. but the design is so unusual, and functional but I had to finish it anyway.
Western #743 a.jpg
Western #743 b.jpg
Western #743 c.jpg
Western #743 i.jpg
I hope you enjoy the pictures!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Meridian_Mike

Re: Western 743 Resto

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice job Dale!!

I like those Westerns.... I guess I never noticed one just like that one.

I know what you mean about having no time to get in the shop.
(we are constantly going to see the grands do things on the weekend)

Good luck finding a day with more hours built into it!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Thats a beautiful knife Dale and a interesting pattern ::tu:: i hope your wifes and your parents health improves 🍀
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
TPK

Post by TPK »

:shock: Man! That turned out SUPER Dale! ::nod:: What a fine looking knife! ::handshake::
Very cool & interesting blade combo too! Very cool project & well executed! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

orvet wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:08 pm I haven't had a great deal of time recently to work on knives, summer is coming, my wife his some health issues and so do my parents and I am trying to reorganize and condensed my work area in my shop. I feel like I'm being pulled in multiple directions. I am trying to get rid of some of the things I thought I couldn't live without, at one time. I will post some pictures of it when I'm finished with the shop but in the meantime I was able to finish this project that I started some time ago.
This is a Western 743, sort of a cross between a trapper and a Stockman. It has a California clip blade, (Western's term for it), and a long spey blade with the sheepfoot blade at the opposite end. Interesting design, but I suspect it was designed with the working cowboy or rancher in mind. I can recall our neighboring ranchers usually carried a knife with a long spey blade in it when working cattle. As I mentioned above the snap up the clip blade when closing is not really strong. It had more wear to the tang than I realized. but the design is so unusual, and functional but I had to finish it anyway.

Western #743 a.jpg

.Western #743 b.jpg

Western #743 c.jpg

Western #743 i.jpg

Very Awesome! And a hard pattern to track down too!

PM sent
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Froe

Post by Froe »

I love the long spey blade! Beautiful work on restoration.
Froe
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks guys. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Its an uncommon pattern, that's the first one that I have seen. I don't think I've seen that pattern made by another company either, though surely someone must have made it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

As I mentioned elsewhere, that was the perfect choice of bone for that knife. It just works so well. Great job!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Dale, I hope I’m not hijacking your thread here, but for the uninitiated in the cult of Western knives, there is good reason why this 743 is such a big deal. Western made a whole series 74x knives all based on the same frame with different blade layouts. 742-746 were “stockman” type knives and 741 was the same frame but a muskrat. The 742 was by far the most popular and survived for many many years. You see a ton of 742s in delrin and the occasional bone handled one isn’t terribly uncommon. But 743-746 and 741 are like finding Bigfoot riding a unicorn! And as far as I know the 741 and 743-746 were all bone handled.

Dale, you did a great job with this one, and I can’t wait to see it in person! ::groove::

Here’s the add for the series:
13FCB788-578C-4098-AE51-4FB6EFB118FB.jpeg
13FCB788-578C-4098-AE51-4FB6EFB118FB.jpeg (64.91 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
It took make a long time to put these together and some of them are mere place holders that will be replaces should I ever find better examples. As you can see, the 743 and the 746 both had the long secondary spey blade, the only difference was the sheep’s foot vs the punch.
D4B4AB80-CD61-4D3F-AF9F-1957CA920443.jpeg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
B3BD515D-4EAD-4F94-A399-92878DD059FA.jpeg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
IMG_2823.jpeg (39.55 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
IMG_2824.jpeg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
IMG_2825.jpeg (40.96 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
IMG_2826.jpeg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I'm glad you added that background info Colonel....

I just happen to have a 742....

742.jpg

:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:12 pm I'm glad you added that background info Colonel....

I just happen to have a 742....

742.jpg

:D
Mike, that’s a good example of a pre ‘77 Western. I agree with what Dale has said many times that the old Western steel was if not the, definitely one of the very best steels ever used. Those old delrin 742s are great edc hardworking pocket knives.
Robert E. Lee
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

orvet wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:08 pm

Western #743 a.jpg

.Western #743 b.jpg

Western #743 c.jpg

Western #743 i.jpg

Love the pictures, love the bone. That is beautiful color. Great looking knife and love the personalized stamp/etch you put on the blade. Sweet.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

That is the first Western 743 that I have ever seen, and she is a beauty! Great choice of bone, and great handiwork!

Mike, thank you for sharing yours as well. Y'all know how to make a guy want a REAL knife collection, and not just an accumulation!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks again guys, I am glad Wade spoke up and schooled us all. I didn't know all the info he posted. Good stuff.

Thanks Wade for the info! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’m glad to report that this 743 has arrived at its new home and has been appropriately coonfingered and chickeneyed. It’s nicer in person than the pics show and is fantastic in every way!

Thanks again Dale.
Robert E. Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

You are most welcome my friend! ::handshake::
I'm glad to see it went to a good home where it will be appreciated and maybe get toted every once in a while! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”