Klein Electrician's Rehab

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Klein Electrician's Rehab

Post by Reverand »

It has been almost a year since I have done any work in the knife shop, so I have really been itching to get back at it.
I moved past several half-finished and barely-started projects on my workbench to start on this Klein that I recently found cheap on the 'Bay. The poor thing had been heavily used and abused.
Klein Hawkbill electrician's knife
Klein Hawkbill electrician's knife
So I shaped the worn Hawkbill blade into a Sheepsfoot and removed the screwdriver blade.
I rehandled it in some Culpeppers Sunset smooth bone.
CE0FF584-73A4-4A51-8FE6-DF1A19F77816.jpeg
C6AA56E3-B3F8-4E0A-896C-BD816CC28D69.jpeg
I Left some of the deeper scratches on the blade and bolsters, because I didn't want to take off too much metal. Still, I like how it turned out!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Klein Electrician's Rehab

Post by Jeffinn »

That’s a great rehab!
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Reverand wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:35 pm It has been almost a year since I have done any work in the knife shop, so I have really been itching to get back at it.
I moved past several half-finished and barely-started projects on my workbench to start on this Klein that I recently found cheap on the 'Bay. The poor thing had been heavily used and abused.
86BE6BB2-A960-46D4-BDFD-E9B0E1FFCBEB.jpeg

So I shaped the worn Hawkbill blade into a Sheepsfoot and removed the screwdriver blade.
I rehandled it in some Culpeppers Sunset smooth bone.
CE0FF584-73A4-4A51-8FE6-DF1A19F77816.jpegC6AA56E3-B3F8-4E0A-896C-BD816CC28D69.jpeg

I Left some of the deeper scratches on the blade and bolsters, because I didn't want to take off too much metal. Still, I like how it turned out!
material.

::tu:: much improved!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice job Rev. I would have taken out the secondary blade also, although it is not a screwdriver blade. It is a blade specially designed to cut a certain type of electrical cable covering.
Glennbad knows the proper name.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
eveled

Post by eveled »

::tu:: very nice result.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

orvet wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:19 pm Nice job Rev. I would have taken out the secondary blade also, although it is not a screwdriver blade. It is a blade specially designed to cut a certain type of electrical cable covering.
Glennbad knows the proper name.
Thanks Dale!
I did remove the secondary blade, along with the liner lock. I had assumed (ahem!) that it was just a screwdriver blade that had been ground down after breakage, or something. I appreciate the correct information. There is always something more to learn!
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Really nice, creative work Reverand! That one will make a nice EDC. And, now I know what to do with a worn down hawkbill blade in the future. ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

That turned out nice Reverend!!! I like a sheep foot style blade, too. Very useful EDC!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Great job! I have a Schrade Walden 204 Electrician that Jeffinn redid with a sheepsfoot blade, but it was cut down to Barlow-size. But it uses the same bone. The sheepsfoot blade is my favorite profile for most jobs--you can't accidentally stick something with it if cutting in an emergency (like cutting a seatbelt), but there's still a tip.

Klein/Kutmaster from the factory typically look pretty cheap. Throw in 20-30 odd (some nearly 50!) years of use, and EWW! They don't age well at all. About half of mine were EDCs of family members/friends who were coal miners; and typically used them hard; as they were work-issued. I've got a nice Klein hawkbill, as well as a well used, but still decent condition Kutmaster that has no lock--I'm thinking about having those redone in stag. The lock-free Kutmaster is sleeker, and better made than the Klein; despite coming out of the same factory.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Nice jobs Reverend!

Bob
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I really appreciate all of the comments. This bone looks better in person than in pictures, but the blade looks a bit worse.
I should have taken more time with it, but I was really hankerin' to finish this one up.
It is good enough for me, so I guess that is what counts. The blade has good half-stops, snaps like a bear trap, and has taken a good edge. I have been coon fingering this knife all evening!
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking job, Reverend! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Looks real good, big improvement!
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

glad to see you back in the shop to show off your work, that turned out nice ::tu::
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”