rookie question

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Berryb

rookie question

Post by Berryb »

Is there a way to get the scales off without destroying them? I have this old Remington and would like to restore it, and keep the handles if at all possible. It also needs a main blade, the original is gone. If I can't find one I think I can make one. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
remington camper1.jpg
remington camper2.jpg
just bob

Re: rookie question

Post by just bob »

Absolutely you can get those scales off without destroying them - if you're very careful. Dale has an excellent tutorial about disassembly of a slip joint in the tutorial forum. Once you split it apart those pins holding the handles on are thin and if you can wiggle a utility knife blade under the handle material the pins will slice easily. You might soak the entire knife in mineral oil or something over night before tearing into it. As far as a blade goes getting a good blade with the right numbers will be hard to do. It is possible to have a blade welded onto your tang that should have the right numbers or you can look for another Remington scout on ebay with bad bone handles and use that blade - the numbers won't match but if you're going to keep the knife that shouldn't be an issue. If you're at the point where you're making your own blades then your ahead of most of us. Good luck in your efforts and please post pics of the results.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Hi Bruce. I'm not sure why you want to take the scales off. If you disassemble the knife via the "Orvet" method as Bob suggested, the scales and liners will stay together intact and you don't have to disturb them unless you need to replace or tighten some of the pins. Also as Bob suggested getting a new blade welded onto the tang of the broken blade can be done by a good welder. I have had some done this way by Gary Claxon and his work is amazing. But, if you can find a suitable matching replacement blade, that would be the best way to go. You might try putting a post on the knife mechanics swap forum. Good luck!
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep.....

X3... leave the scales on the liners.
IF... you get inside the knife and you feel like the pins need to be changed (for whatever reason....) then you can cut them aloose from the inside and then put in new pins.

good luck!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Thanks for the replies. The knife had already been apart, sorta. The main blade has been removed, so no tang. The hinge pins (thru the bolsters) were replaced with wire, peened on one end, crimped on the other. The only pin left is the center pin. That is the one I need to remove without damaging the scales. The handles are still attached to the liners- although one is loose on one end. The new pics I hope show better what is left. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
remington camper3.jpg
remington camper4.jpg
just bob

Post by just bob »

You can use a Dremel with the thin cutting tool to cut right through that pin. A jewelers hacksaw will work as well. There is enough gap in there to get the blade started.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”