Good scale material?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
GA1dad

Good scale material?

Post by GA1dad »

Sorry if this is in the wrong section,,,

A coworker gave me a shoe box full of this wood. It was given to him a while back and he didn't know what kind of wood it is. It is pretty hard stuff, I can't dig a fingernail into it even the slightest. I think it might be parts of wood flooring that the manuf. cut out before milling into flooring boards,, but that is just a guess. Most of the pieces look like the smaller one pictured, but there is the one piece of spalted that sure is pretty. Anybody got an idea of the wood type? Do you think it would make good scales for my Barlow project?
Attachments
20200929_192047.jpg
20200929_192107.jpg
20200929_192123.jpg
[b] A Harley can get you through times of no money, better than money can get you through times of no Harley!!! [/b]
Doc B

Re: Good scale material?

Post by Doc B »

It looks like it would be nice, to me! Looks like it has a nice grain. With the added benefit of not cracking or breaking (like bone) if you were to drop it. You could put a little mineral oil on it...to get a feel for what it will look like finished.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

It would make fantastic scales, and looks as though it is nicely seasoned. Good score. ::tu::
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

It kind of looks like Tiger Curley Maple, its a very hard wood that could make very nice handles
David
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hmmmmmm.....
Sorta looks like walnut to me.

::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

That last piece of the end cut looks like Oak to me. Has the grain lines and little rows of holes in the rings like Oak. Many types of oak so I don't know variety, but I've been cutting and finishing hardwoods for decades and that looks just like the grain of oak railings I've used before.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
GA1dad

Post by GA1dad »

Thanks for the replies all. I agree that the end cross section looks like oak top me as well,, but the spalted looking piece threw me for a loop. At this point it doesn't matter too much I guess, as I've decided it will be used for the project.

Hopefully will begin disassembly after work today.
[b] A Harley can get you through times of no money, better than money can get you through times of no Harley!!! [/b]

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”