My first fixed blade "restore"...

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
WillyCamaro

My first fixed blade "restore"...

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hey folks,
I've been wanting to try my hand at knife restoration/cleaning for quite awhile now, a few months ago gave me my first chance at trying.
Mr. Case put a pretty well loved Voss Cut. Co. stag hunter up for sale, for very reasonable price (considering it is quite rare knife).
I finally finished work on it tonight.
Nothing crazy overall, just a lot of elbow grease with iso. alcohol, mineral oil, light grade sand paper, steel wool, and finger nails.
Borrowed pics to show before and after (Sorry Steve, hope final product makes up for it).
Whatcha' all think?
Did I dood good, or went too far overboard?
I did take apart the handle, cleaned and treated the spacers/washers/stag separately (if that add's any points).
All in all i'm super happy how it turned out, and had a blast doing it too!

Before...
Attachments
IMG_0360.JPG
IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Re: My first fixed blade "restore"...

Post by WillyCamaro »

After/now...

::super_happy::
Attachments
DSCN3893.JPG
DSCN3894.JPG
DSCN3896.JPG
DSCN3897.JPG
DSCN3900.JPG
DSCN3901.JPG
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :)
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I think you did her good, Willy! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

::tu:: ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I remember when you first posted that. I like what you did. Did that knife have a split nut at the pommel? I have seen some 'wrenches' for that purpose for sale but I was thinking to buy an ultra-cheap BIG Chinese screwdriver and file out a notch in the tip to make my own pommel nut wrench. Does that make sense?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... h&_sacat=0
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

tongueriver wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:15 pm I remember when you first posted that. I like what you did. Did that knife have a split nut at the pommel? I have seen some 'wrenches' for that purpose for sale but I was thinking to buy an ultra-cheap BIG Chinese screwdriver and file out a notch in the tip to make my own pommel nut wrench. Does that make sense?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... h&_sacat=0
That's what I do Cal. I have 2 that I made from ole flat blade screw drivers.I have a portaband set up on a table that I use to cut the tips. Not all those tang nuts are the same. If the one's I have don't fit i just make a new one.
Eye Brand Collector
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

You did well. Clean, but not polished to death!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you mates, appreciate the vote of confidence ::handshake:: .

Yesir Rev, that's exactly what I was aiming for, a clean, well loved edc (or relic'd, whichever term you with to use).
:D

In turn, I think it now looks very proper for it, seeing it's quite the age. If I can remember correctly, the stamp dates to the 50's/60's (please correct me if i'm wrong). The stamping, in the way it's stamped, looks quite old, to me at least. That, pared with the deep engraving/frosting etch (yes, it is engraving, not just an acid etch pattern).

In leu to what your wondering tong, yes, it is a split nut, screwed onto threaded aluminum tang. Basically it's an aluminum through tang, either welded, or soldered to the high carbon blade, that's why i'm thinking 50's, because making fixed blades like that died out as time progressed (again, please correct me if i'm wrong).
The nut was already pretty loose, so a little turning with my leatherman was all that was need to unscrew it. Btw, the pliers worked perfectly for the job, the jaw tips fit perfectly, just had to be a little carful reassembling, and in the end, everything worked out great.
I'm super happy with how she turned out, just took a little patience, a little elbow grease, and a lot of fun.
Can't wait to try my hand at another knife... Have a beat up schrade-walden 148 that need a clean/sharpening/rehandle, might as well get cracking at it, when I find the time (probably after harvest/winter setting in). I'm just so busy right now (swamped), that hardly know which way is where, up or down.
My real quandary right now... Torn between keeping her, or putting her up for a new owner, what to do? ::shrug::
I need the cash, and need to move more knives along, but, like you probably figure, she's kinda special to me. Have to do some more pondering on it, and come to a decision soon.

Thanks again mates, really enjoy the new hobby :D .
Winston Churchill

eveled

Post by eveled »

Nice knife.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”