SAK Camper

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

SAK Camper

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Ever wonder what a Victorinox Swiss Army knife Camper model would look like if you tossed those red plastic scales and replaced them with Culpepper Violet Shetland bone ones? Well, here it is. I had been wanting to do a bone handle SAK for a long time, but never had the right one, I have a couple of new ones on hand, but doglegg really made this project possible by sending me a SAK Camper in the latest POS exchange that had no handle material on it and the toothpick and tweezer were long gone. So I dug thru the box to see what I had, and these Violet Shetland were the best fit. I had never had a SAK apart before, and was somewhat surprised to find that they have brass pins in them. I was expecting stainless steel. The pivot pins are .100" diameter, and the two rocker pins are .090". I did not have anything that would work as far as nickle silver or brass, so I found a couple of nails that were of the correct diameter and used those. Good thing the toothpick and tweezer were gone as that would have been a pain to inlet the bone scales to fit those. I briefly thought about going the whole nine yards and making two new outer liners from .032" brass and making nickle silver bolsters to solder onto the liners, but said "NAH" and just epoxied the bone to the original aluminum liners and pinned thru them. I like the end result, it is a very useful EDC and looks good.
IMG_3799.JPG
IMG_3801.JPG
IMG_3802.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: SAK Camper

Post by Reverand »

That does look surprisingly good!
I have touched very few of the real SAK's, though I have had a few cheap knockoffs. My biggest problem with them is that those red plastic covers make an expensive Victorinox look like a cheap knockoff!
I am surprised by how bone makes it look much more like a sturdy, dependable knife.
100% improvement!!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

This turned out great. I really like the jig pattern.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Looks nice!!!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OC, you turned a sows ear into a silk purse. Great job. You have the Midas touch even with POS. Excellent!!! ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Sundog Knives

Post by Sundog Knives »

Olde Cutler for the win!! Those scales look fantastic on the SAK. Great job once again. ::tu::
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

That turned out great!
I actually like the violet/purple bone color. It’s something different and actually looks pretty darn nice!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Looks good and I bet it feels even better, in hand!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

doglegg wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:36 pm OC, you turned a sows ear into a silk purse. Great job. You have the Midas touch even with POS. Excellent!!! ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
As I got it from doglegg.
IMG_3780-1.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Sundog Knives wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:44 pm Olde Cutler for the win!! Those scales look fantastic on the SAK. Great job once again. ::tu::
Next time I see you I will let you drool on it. ::drool:: ::drool::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Great job!

Been wanting to do something similar, but want to have visible pins. I have a few that have no scales. I hate Cellidor. It is not very durable, and extremely sensitive to many chemicals, including common household chemicals like isopropyl alcohol and diesel fuel. In my users, I'm going straight Alox, with a few nylon-handed versions I either bought as-is, or made myself using scales off other knives.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Great job OC! I gotta say, that's the best looking SAK I've ever seen.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”