Craftsman Fixed Blade

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Doc B

Craftsman Fixed Blade

Post by Doc B »

I've had this Craftsman knife sitting around for awhile. This is the first fixed-blade I've rehandled. It originally was done in leather rings. I had thought I might put bone on it; however, didn't have anything thick enough, to match the pommel end. The latest run of GEC had some knives covered in mesquite...so...a light went off, in my head. I've got an endless supply of mesquite at the ranch and I use it for most of my outdoor grilling and smoking. It was a little tricky, with my limited armamentarium, to get some slabs out...but, I got it done. Mesquite is a very hard wood! You can barely cut it with a very sharp knife. I generally cut my firewood from dried / dead limbs and will have to resharpen my chainsaw after cutting a small pile. I don't think this will be my last time to use it. I kinda like the look...and it has a connection to the property. Happened to have the perfect size sheath, too.
IMG_2400.JPG
IMG_2402.JPG
IMG_2403.JPG
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Craftsman Fixed Blade

Post by glennbad »

Looks ready to put into use, nice job!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice job! ::tu:: ::tu::
I have some mesquite but haven't used it yet.
That is some incentive for me because that looks good!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

With a bifurcated tang and double pommel pins, it was obviously a Western made hunting knife. With that style of clip point, it is most likely an L44, an L44-1/2 or an L36.

What is the blade length and overall length?
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Doc, that's sweet! I'd carry that.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Great job on the Western/Craftsman! it's ready for another several generations of work!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:32 pm With a bifurcated tang and double pommel pins, it was obviously a Western made hunting knife. With that style of clip point, it is most likely an L44, an L44-1/2 or an L36.

What is the blade length and overall length?
The blade length is 5 1/4 inches and overall length is 9 1/2 inches. I had been told it was an L36; but, hadn't had a chance to verify that. Would that be correct?
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

It doesn't match any known Western, per se. The L36 has a 5-1/2" blade, the L44-5 has a 5" blade.

I suspect that with a 5-1/4" blade, and looking at the slightly rounded tip, it is most likely an L36.

Western's are notorious for having blades that are slightly under the advertised lengths. The WW2 Sharks are always said to have 6" blades, but most are about 5-7/8", so if it was a tad short to begin with, tip shortening would get it closer to 5-1/4".

As a Craftsman offering, it would not have been marketed as an "L36", but what ever Sears would have called it. It doesn't show up in any of the Sears Christmas catalogs, so it was probably advertised in the Spring/Summer catalogs which no one has collected, digitzed and put on line, like the Christmas catalogs have. Or at least if they have been, I haven't found them online yet.

IF the stamp has a reference to the patent number, that would indicate that the knife was made before 1953. Lack of a patent reference would imply that it was 1954 or later, but maybe not. Negative info doesn't prove anything.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Wow, the mesquite rehandle came out really nice Doc! And its great that you have your own endless supply of mesquite to go to right there on your ranch. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A use for mesquite other than cooking!!! Who would have thought. That sure looks good Doc. A great save on that one. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:12 pm It doesn't match any known Western, per se. The L36 has a 5-1/2" blade, the L44-5 has a 5" blade.

I suspect that with a 5-1/4" blade, and looking at the slightly rounded tip, it is most likely an L36.

Western's are notorious for having blades that are slightly under the advertised lengths. The WW2 Sharks are always said to have 6" blades, but most are about 5-7/8", so if it was a tad short to begin with, tip shortening would get it closer to 5-1/4".

As a Craftsman offering, it would not have been marketed as an "L36", but what ever Sears would have called it. It doesn't show up in any of the Sears Christmas catalogs, so it was probably advertised in the Spring/Summer catalogs which no one has collected, digitzed and put on line, like the Christmas catalogs have. Or at least if they have been, I haven't found them online yet.

IF the stamp has a reference to the patent number, that would indicate that the knife was made before 1953. Lack of a patent reference would imply that it was 1954 or later, but maybe not. Negative info doesn't prove anything.
ZZ... It says Pat No 1767479, Over Made in the USA. Thanks so much for the info!
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

doglegg wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:43 pm A use for mesquite other than cooking!!! Who would have thought. That sure looks good Doc. A great save on that one. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Of all the NA hardwoods, only American (Southern) Chestnut and Ironwood are harder than Mesquite, Chestnut slightly and Ironwood significantly.

Mesquite has been used for tool handles for hundreds of years in Texas and Mexico, and the rest of the SW.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:32 am
doglegg wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:43 pm A use for mesquite other than cooking!!! Who would have thought. That sure looks good Doc. A great save on that one. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Of all the NA hardwoods, only American (Southern) Chestnut and Ironwood are harder than Mesquite, Chestnut slightly and Ironwood significantly.

Mesquite has been used for tool handles for hundreds of years in Texas and Mexico, and the rest of the SW.
...another interesting bit of info, I was not aware of. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I had no idea that mesquite wood looked so pretty. That truly has a beautiful color and grain pattern. Great choice!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Thanks guys, for all the kind remarks and info!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Great job! I've seen a few Mesquite-handled options from Moore Maker, and they're gorgeous. I swear, I've seen mesquite in the BBQ/Smoker supply section of a local supermarket. Should pick some up.

In the building we store our firewood, there is chestnut, maple, oak, ash, cherrywood, and hickory. Chestnut will dull a chain pretty quickly. I'm going to use some of it for knife handles, as to save some cash. Though, for some, I want G-10.

I just tore a Schrade USA 94OT apart as the blades had too much side-to-side wobble due to the Swinden key pin loosening up. Gonna be a one-blade (ditching skinner blade), with wood handles from the woodhouse. I figure it will be a good starter to learn Swinden construction, since unlike the 8OT on my repair list, there's nothing to really replace (main blade is broke on 8OT).
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Beautiful work Doc! ::tu:: Next you need to try some Bois d’Arc wood. Fairly easy to work when green, but when it dries it’s hard and tough as solid rock.

For all of y’all who think of mesquite wood only for grilling, you need to get out more! :lol: Mesquite makes some stunningly beautiful furniture. https://texmes.com/

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I've only done one knife with Mesquite. The wood I was given for it was a crosscut section. Looks quite different than how yours turned out, interesting stuff though!
ryan tl10.JPG
ryan tl7.JPG

I'll probably pull some of it out and do another mod with it...
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:47 pm Beautiful work Doc! ::tu:: Next you need to try some Bois d’Arc wood. Fairly easy to work when green, but when it dries it’s hard and tough as solid rock.

For all of y’all who think of mesquite wood only for grilling, you need to get out more! :lol: Mesquite makes some stunningly beautiful furniture. https://texmes.com/

Ken
Ken, I remember Bois d'Arc, growing up in DFW. Don't ever remember running in to one anywhere around here.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

glennbad wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:37 pm I've only done one knife with Mesquite. The wood I was given for it was a crosscut section. Looks quite different than how yours turned out, interesting stuff though!

ryan tl10.JPG
ryan tl7.JPG

I'll probably pull some of it out and do another mod with it...
Glenn, that's awesome! I can see where a crosscut would give a better pattern, especially in a smaller knife, like a slip joint. I didn't know how the grain orientation would affect it's ability to break...especially in such a thin slice, as required. It's dang hard wood, though. You can see in my first photo, how the chainsaw was burning the wood in places.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”