A.B.L. Belgian Army 1951 "Rigging" Knife Resto

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A.B.L. Belgian Army 1951 "Rigging" Knife Resto

Post by herbva »

I picked up 2 of these quite a while back for a total of $9.50 and thought they would be an interesting restoration challenge someday, and just completed them. I have found that "A.B.L.'" is short for "Armee Belgique, Belgisch Leger", which means Belgian Army, and the 1951 stamp is the date of issue. The other stamp appears to perhaps be "LIBERT", and I haven't found a translation for that word. Maybe "liberty"? As you can see in the first 3 pictures, whatever the checkered black handle material on them was, it didn't hold up too well in storage. I know that they were in storage because they were coated with a solidified grease, perhaps something I think is that is called cosmoline, and the sheepfoot blade had not been sharpened. I couldn't find a suitable checkered composite scale material, so I went with OD green micarta on this one. What look like brass washers under the pivot pin heads are interesting little gadgets that actually go all the way through to the liners, but are a much wider diameter on the part you see on the outside. (I suspect there is a name for these gadgets.) All 3 blades have very strong snap, but as you can see, the very sturdy spike rides on both springs, giving it a vicious snap. There are 2 rocker pins because the ends of the springs are compressed in one direction for the 2 blades, and in the opposite direction on the other end for the spike. It's actually a great design, but it did take me a while to figure out how to compress the springs when I was reassembling. I finally figured out that doing the end with the blades and fitting that rocker pin first, and then the end with the spike was the ticket!
Attachments
DSCN9284.JPG
DSCN9285.JPG
DSCN9286.JPG
DSCN9297.JPG
DSCN9298.JPG
DSCN9299.JPG
DSCN9301.JPG
DSCN9302.JPG
DSCN9304.JPG
DSCN9305.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A.B.L. Belgian Army 1951 "Rigging" Knife Resto

Post by edge213 »

WOW! What a save!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

That turned out great!
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Looking good! I have modded a few of these, and they are stout knives no doubt
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those turned out amazing, Herb! Great choice of scale material too! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Man, that turned out nice, Herb! I've seen these knives and thought they were cool. I like OD micarta and it really looks good on a knife like this!!!
You said the washer-looking thing went all the way through. I usually would use a razor blade to split the blade pins. Did that require taking apart differently than other knives? What did you use to replace that piece...or did you just drill out the pin and reuse that piece?
Nice work!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Doc B wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:01 pm Man, that turned out nice, Herb! I've seen these knives and thought they were cool. I like OD micarta and it really looks good on a knife like this!!!
You said the washer-looking thing went all the way through. I usually would use a razor blade to split the blade pins. Did that require taking apart differently than other knives? What did you use to replace that piece...or did you just drill out the pin and reuse that piece?
Nice work!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks for the kind words Doc, and everyone else! I have always liked these rigging knives, and have a few that I have saved. I really like the "marlin spike" because you can use it for everything else that you shouldn't be using a blade for, and don't have to worry about breaking a blade. Well, that's just my excuse. I really just think they are cool. On this knife, since I didn't need to worry about saving the scales, I ground off the pin heads with a round bur, tapped out the pins, and reused the little brass washer thingies (whatever they are called). I'm still hoping to find some kind of checkered black composition material to use for the other one. Everything I have looked at is for pistol grips and is quite expensive.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

That's a great looking job, the OD Micarta really sets it off. ::ds:: ::ds::
David
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

That does look really good. I hadn't expected the Micarta to look that good on that knife, but it sure does!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Great job! I've got a really big WWI era British Army Knife (about 5" closed!), and am going to put micarta on it, since the "pressed horn" handles crumbled and fell off. It surprised me how that it didn't look too modern, or out of place. And, I'll keep that in mind with the backsprings. That's saved me a ton of headache knowing it in advance that there are two rocker pins.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”