Camillus camper

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Camillus camper

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I stopped over to see a friend of mine the other day, and he reached into a drawer and took out this knife and handed it to me. I noticed that it was missing the handle material on both sides. He said he wanted it rehandled. I asked what he had in mind, and he reached in the drawer again and produced a set of slabs taped together as a pair. I looked at the slabs and asked him "is this what I think it is?". Yep, its elephant ivory, that's what I want. The knife is a 4 line Camillus camper/scout knife that is actually kind of a beater. Lots of deep scratches on the master blade as well as blade loss from sharpening, the can opener has been ground on many times, lots of deep rust pits, but now at least it has elephant ivory covers. I know that when I give it back to him, it will go right into his pocket as an EDC.
IMG_3768.JPG
IMG_3769.JPG
The pics are under exposed a little to see the color in the ivory better.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Doc B

Re: Camillus camper

Post by Doc B »

Nice, OC! I bet it feels good in hand...and I bet your friend will be really happy!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great work OC! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That looks Great !
The ivory actually suits this pattern. I think more vintage 4 blade Utility knives should be re-handled with ivory.
kj
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Beautiful work! That has to be the best dressed camper knife I have ever seen. I wonder where your friend got the elephant ivory? ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Wow, that looks nice! Well done!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

herbva wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:33 am Beautiful work! That has to be the best dressed camper knife I have ever seen. I wonder where your friend got the elephant ivory? ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
He is one of our local custom knife makers, so he buys a lot of handle material from various sources. This was a couple of pieces of scrap left over from one of his creations. He makes fixed blades, and really does not like to work on folders.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

What a fine piece, and a nice gift to return to him!
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that is for sure the best looking camp knife I have ever seen. Looooooooovve that splotchy tusk. God bless the ivory that's still out there being put to good use. Saluting you Glennbad. ::marine_salute::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That is a beauty Glenn.... GREAT JOB!
Not too many people have a folder with ivory covers. Great job working the ivory! That stuff is beautiful!
Looks like it took a beautiful polish too.
I know your friend is proud of that one!
(I would be showing everyone that beautiful knife if it were mine!)

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Really awesome job OC!(👍🤝 I absolutely love it..I like an old knife with character better than shiny new ones (not that I don't like them too!)
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:59 am That is a beauty Glenn.... GREAT JOB!
Not too many people have a folder with ivory covers. Great job working the ivory! That stuff is beautiful!
Looks like it took a beautiful polish too.
I know your friend is proud of that one!
(I would be showing everyone that beautiful knife if it were mine!)

::tu:: ::tu::
Stanwade wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:11 pm Really awesome job Glenn!👍🤝 I absolutely love it..I like an old knife with character better than shiny new ones (not that I don't like them too!)
Ivoryman wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:53 am Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that is for sure the best looking camp knife I have ever seen. Looooooooovve that splotchy tusk. God bless the ivory that's still out there being put to good use. Saluting you Glennbad. ::marine_salute::

As much as I appreciate the comments, I had nothing to do with this knife. The excellent work was done by Olde Cutler, and I wouldn't want any accolades to be attributed to someone else.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Sorry for the confusion!👍🤝 awesome job OC!!👍👍I really love it!
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sorry for the credit where it wasn't due. Correction, Old Cutler, the camp knife is the finest one I've ever seen. FAbulous tusk, love the varied color and fit and finish. Great one. Sorry Glenn.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I wish I had a big pile of tusk to handle all my projects with. This was my first with ivory. Easy stuff to work with, sands and polishes real nice. And nothing else has that look.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”