Henry Sears & Son 1865 cattle Knife

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Henry Sears & Son 1865 cattle Knife

Post by 1967redrider »

Great resurrections of what most people would consider trashed knives. Your work looks excellent! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Those both turned out great!
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:58 pm
Byrd wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:00 pm Great job OC! Do you use the dye that comes with the Acra Glas? I'm just curious because it's be hard to match old bone with that. It's dark! I'd imagine just a pin head drop would make it too dark.
Yes, I have been using the dye. But it's all gone now and will need to come up with something else. Maybe acrylic craft paint would work.
FYI, I've had some pretty good success with powdered dyes. I use the slow curing 2-ton epoxy and add the powder a tiny smidge at a time. Sometimes I'm not happy with the match and just warm it up with the heat gun, remove the patch and start over. To match brown bone, I start by adding some tan powder I have to the epoxy, and then add a teenie, tiny bit of the brown at a time until I like the color. (The brown patch in your picture is the result my brown powder alone produces.) Using the slow cure epoxy gives you time to fool around with it for while before it starts to harden. The only drawback is you really need to let it harden for a day until you start sanding. :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Those both look really nice OC!!! That bone is so "rich", on the cattle knife. Good to see it get a facelift!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”