Schrade Cut Co Jack; Handle Repair Advice

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
kootenay joe

Schrade Cut Co Jack; Handle Repair Advice

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is quite a nice older knife, Schrade Cut Co., 4 1/4", 2 blade Equal End Jack with full blades, excellent snaps and most attractive peach seed bone handles. The back handle is missing a piece of bone.
It is a very collectible pattern and except for back handle, is in very good condition.
What is the best thing to do with this knife ?
If someone has SCC jigged bone handle slab of this size and successfully installs it, does it change the knife's value ? i.e. now it will have been worked on ?
Or, are some collectors accepting of knives with correct handle replacement on back side ?
Of course if a correct handle was installed blades could be sharpened for a special EDC knife, a treat for a collector to carry & use.
I would like to hear your thoughts on this knife and suggestions as to who might have the correct handle piece (peach seed bone ~ 3 1/8" x 7/8").
kj
Attachments
IMGP8295.JPG
IMGP8296.JPG
IMGP8297.JPG
tongueriver

Re: Schrade Cut Co Jack; Handle Repair Advice

Post by tongueriver »

A correct replacement would be a long shot. If it was mine I would send it to Olde Cutler in Sioux Falls for a patch, and I would put it into my pocket.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

As said finding the correct handle material and getting it repaired would be a long shot. In my opinion a good repair would ad value to the knife but depending on the cost it might be prohibitive. It would be a repaired knife and should be represented as such. Repair work is always a matter of what the specific collector finds acceptable. If it were my knife I would epoxy patch it and try to get it as presentable as possible.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Either way -replaced scale or a patch job, it will forever be a repaired knife. Even if you do somehow manage to find the exact matching scale from a "donor" knife, and do a an absolutely perfect transplant job with none of the little clues indicating that some work been done, it should be presented as a repaired knife. Judging from your picture, if that was my knife, I would patch it in a heartbeat. I have many patched knives in my collection and I actually like working with epoxy. The thing I like most about working with epoxy is - if you don't like the way the patch comes out, it takes only a few seconds to heat it up, remove it and try again. :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

The bone on that is beautiful and original. I'd rather have it patched and preserved, IMHO.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I had PM'd KJ and offered to repair this knife but with shipping costs to and from Canada it proved a bit too pricey. KJ was kind enough to sell and send me the knife and I had promised to post the repaired knife when the handle patching was completed. I do like these big 4 1/4" closed length cigar jacks.

For me patching can be a process that involves many steps to get to what I consider a decent repair. It is never a quick one and done process. Sometimes I have to remove the patch entirely and start over from scratch if things don't go well. In hindsight I could have done a better job of matching the jigging on this old Schrade but I was reluctant to start over since the color match turned out as well as it did. I have included a before and after picture.
Attachments
IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG

Wayne

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

GOOD GOLLY..... that looks GREAT!!

:shock:

You did a beautiful job!
AGAIN.... WOW!!!!
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Impressive, Wayne! ::tu::
wlf

Post by wlf »

Remarkable buddy. That looks fantastic. ::tu:: ::tu::
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

btrwtr wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:11 pm I had PM'd KJ and offered to repair this knife but with shipping costs to and from Canada it proved a bit too pricey. KJ was kind enough to sell and send me the knife and I had promised to post the repaired knife when the handle patching was completed. I do like these big 4 1/4" closed length cigar jacks.

For me patching can be a process that involves many steps to get to what I consider a decent repair. It is never a quick one and done process. Sometimes I have to remove the patch entirely and start over from scratch if things don't go well. In hindsight I could have done a better job of matching the jigging on this old Schrade but I was reluctant to start over since the color match turned out as well as it did. I have included a before and after picture.
What do you use for color matching?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow ! Amazingly exact color and jigging as well. I had no idea that a handle restoration could look so perfect. The knife thanks you Wayne. It feels whole again.
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

If not for the before pic, I wouldn't have thought repair on the second pic. Excellent. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

If I didn't know it was a patch, I may have been hard-pressed to see the repair!

Awesome!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Yes, it is an excellent repair job. When people look at a knife and you tell them you have patched the broken bone and they say "where is the patch" then you have done good.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

edge213 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:18 pm
btrwtr wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:11 pm I had PM'd KJ and offered to repair this knife but with shipping costs to and from Canada it proved a bit too pricey. KJ was kind enough to sell and send me the knife and I had promised to post the repaired knife when the handle patching was completed. I do like these big 4 1/4" closed length cigar jacks.

What do you use for color matching?
It depends on the handle I'm trying to match. I normally start by adding some fine wood particles from filing and ad that to the epoxy as I mix it. I also used some brown leather dye on this particular knife. It actually looks better in hand. The small picture (before enlarging) as I look at it on my PC screen is the same size as the knife.

Wayne

wlf

Post by wlf »

He repaired this one too, which had a chunk of bone out of it.
Attachments
DA4859BE-147E-4CF1-B979-8363A439BD69.jpeg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wayne is the master!!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

That is great work! Even the jigging looks original to the knife. If I may ask, what kind of epoxy do you use? I've found that the hardware store variety doesn't polish up very well.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”