Remington small stockman restore

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Remington small stockman restore

Post by Reverand »

I began working on this Remington stockman over a month ago, and due to "life" getting in the way I was not able to complete it until this afternoon.
It is a 3-1/4" stockman with some wear, but has snappy little blades. The celluloid waterfall scales had begun outgassing. It was a shame, as this was the first I had ever seen, and they were once beautiful!
"Before" 1
"Before" 1
"Before" 2
"Before" 2
I chose some Honey Stagged bone that I got on sale from Culpeppers. Possibly the best $5 I have ever spent.
In Progress
In Progress
I was so pleased with how it turned out! The fit on the Pile side was not as tight as I had hoped, but I got it together with no cracks or chips! One big help: I bought a bag of Shrade stock handle pins, domed on one side and dimpled on the other side to flatten out easily.
"After" 1
"After" 1
"After" 2
"After" 2
Then, if you study the pictures closely, you will all notice my big mistake. Be the first to post what it is, and I will give you a free laugh at my expenses.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Remington small stockman restore

Post by doglegg »

Did you get the master blade on the wrong end? ::shrug::

Love the handles. ::nod::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Cut out, for the nail-nick doesn't line up / wrong side. Been there...done that! BTW...I think it looks great! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Yes, you gentlemen guessed correctly! I got my handles swapped (or blades, according to your perspective).
I saw it just after I had peened everything together. I decided to leave it alone for a while, to teach myself a lesson. It will gnaw at me for a while...
Plus, I need to order some more pin stock before I fix it.

But I do need to brag on Culpeppers for making some beautiful bone! Those really 'spoke' to me, I just had to wait around for the right knife to put 'em on. I wanted to install that original shield again, but I have not inlet one before, and decided to practice on some scrap wood before risking these handles. Sometimes you just gotta know when to quit and walk away!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Right you are about Culpeppers bone, great stuff at reasonable prices. I like their Winterbottom and Imistag. I always make a little diagram on a yellow sticky note with the parts in order from front to back to prevent mistakes. But been there done that before.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I read about an old farmer who took his Model A steering apart to fix it. He was busy and he put something in backwards. When he turned right, it went left. He was the only one who could drive that vehicle, but he never did fix it.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice job Reverand!
I LOVE the stagged bone....I have to get me some of that!
::tu::

PS..... just ordered some.... :D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”