Klotzli lock folder for Xmas

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Ozwelder

Klotzli lock folder for Xmas

Post by Ozwelder »

Hi Guys and Merry Xmas
I have been a good boy all year,well! pretty much, and Santa bought a Swiss made Klotzli lock folder for me to fix up.
Actually my daughter spotted it in the markets down in Tasmania where she lives.She has been on watch for such treasures since I started fixing up folding blades.
It is a 3.178" long stainless single clip point lock folder blade that that is marked KLOTZLI Swiss guarantee on the tang.The pattern is the similar to the a Buck 110 folder.Scales are a chocolate brown timber meeting nickel silver bolsters.

It looks like someone tried to sharpen the blade edge with one of those old hollow hand driven rotary stones and slipped leaving some gouges in the hollow ground part of the once fine ground blade.I shall be able remove all but the deepest using a soft 3000 grit stone and wet and dry paper.
The brass liners seem pretty thick at around .060" measurement with vernier caliper.

The only real problem appears to be side slop in the pivot. Can the bolsters be tapped/ peened to close the gap.

Pics when I get my computer to talk with my phone.

Thanks Ozwelder
KleenCut61

Re: Klotzli lock folder for Xmas

Post by KleenCut61 »

Yes in some cases . Unseat the Pins by Compressing The ( Bolsters ) In a Bench Vice Between To Pieces of hard wood ( To Allow The Pins to protrude ) with the Right Hard wood and vice Pressure You Should Get the Pin to Unseat , With out the Pins Unseated you Get Nothing But a Mashed bolster :mrgreen: Your Looking For a Distictive Ring around the Pin Face , Shim and finish to Your Liking , Patience is a virtrue ::tu:: K.C. MERRY CHRISTMAS :D
Ozwelder

Post by Ozwelder »

Hi Guys,
I used a modified 3" vice to squeeze the bolsters together.The jaws were replaced with 3/8" delrin blocks so it is now my dedicated knife vice.

The slight play in the blade has been eliminated,so I am happy about that. I worked for several hours on the scratches and now there just a couple of barely noticeable left whichI think I will leave there.

The nickel silver bolster had very fine scratches but have polished out well with 1500 grit paper.

I have managed to put a edge, good enough to slice a corner off a thermal cash register receipt That is sharp enough for my use.
I had intended it as a an EDC but after a few days find it too big and heavy for my pocket.

Thanks Kleencut61 for the helpful advice, it worked like a charm.

Ozwelder
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Your Welcome ozwelder , Glad to be of some assistance to you , ::tu:: K.C.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”