Sandy Claws wants to know a decent Belt Sander size

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Meridian_Mike

Sandy Claws wants to know a decent Belt Sander size

Post by Meridian_Mike »

My wife wants to know what to get me for Christmas.
If you had the choice of a 1" x 42" Shop Fox OR a Norse 2" x 42" .... which would you choose?

Both of these are just over a couple of hundred smakers so I guess I want to get the best bang for the buckeroo.

What do y'all think?

1x42 or 2x42 ?????

::shrug::

OR..... do you have a better suggestion?
Ole Santa is listening....

:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sandy Claws wants to know a decent Belt Sander size

Post by glennbad »

I'd go 2" width. You can always stick with the HF 1" sanders for smaller work if needed.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

glennbad wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:49 pm I'd go 2" width. You can always stick with the HF 1" sanders for smaller work if needed.
COOL....
The 1 x 30 is what I am using now.... And, you are right, it ain't goin' no where.

Thanks Glenn!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have a 1 X 42, a 2 X 72 and a 4 X 36. I also have a 2 X 42 attachment for the 4 X 36.

I definitely prefer the 1" belt for detail work and sharpening. The 2 X 42 was all right, but it didn't have a good system of dust collection as it was an add-on to the 4 X 36. I stopped using it because of the dust issues. It worked well enough, the selection of belts was limited, I could get a better selection in 2 X 72 belts and they last a lot longer than the 2 X 42.

The price for the Grizzly 2 X 72 has doubled since I bought mine. You will probably be just fine with the 2 x 42 unless you start doing high volume production type work.
True-Grit has the best selection and the best prices for belts I have found for the 2 X 42 sander.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

2x72 is what I really want (some day)....
Ole Santa just ain't that rich this Christmas. I figure I will get a 2x42 for now and maybe later get my dream sander.

I see there is a Dayton 2x42 that looks pretty nice. I saw a video on youtube where a guy made a better sanding table so he could change belts without taking the stock wrap around table off.

Dayton 2x42.jpg
I'm leaning in that direction now....
:D
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Given those choices I’d go with the 2” x 42” sander.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

There's another alternative I forgot about, I saw it at Blade Show West a couple weeks ago, a company called multitool-usa.com puts out a 2" X 36" belt sander attachment that fits onto a bench grinder. If you have a half horse or greater, it would have plenty of power, $229 on sale.The really good thing about it is it has a contact wheel that you can grind on, something they can't do very well on most units smaller than 2 X 72. It also has a 7" disk sander built into it.
https://multitool-usa.com/2-x-36-belt-7 ... ttachment/

This one has a mitre table, metalworking belt & disk starter kit. It comes with some belts some sanding discs and buffing compound. It is $345 on sale, regular $458.
https://multitool-usa.com/2-x-36-belt-7 ... arter-kit/

I saw the unit demonstrated at Blade Show West. It was on a one horse bench grinder motor and that was more than enough power to run that unit. The belt and the disc sides both seem to work flawlessly.
I was impressed with the unit and I especially like the idea of having a contact wheel that you can grind on. I thought they also a version with a larger contact wheel, But if they do it's not on the website.

I was impressed enough with this unit that I still might buy one. I'm so crowded in my shop I almost have to get rid of something in order to bring something new in. I could bolted it on to my one horse Jet bench grinder that stands on a pedestal. It wouldn't take any more floor space than is already used. I think it would work fine for a first belt sander and it would definitely be great as a backup or a second or third belt sander. ::nod::
Attachments
Multitool-usa a.jpg
Multitool-usa b2.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks for that suggestion Dale. I never thought about an accessory that would bolt on to a bench grinder. I do have a nice Dayton bench grinder and I think it would work just fine on it.

::tu::
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If your grinder is a 3650 RPM model, the Multitool will run too fast.
I put one on a variable speed grinder, but I seldom use it. I have 3 2 X 72 units.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery