Fiebing mink oil and carbon steel

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
klinerm

Fiebing mink oil and carbon steel

Post by klinerm »

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post this in, but I was wondering if anyone knew the effect of Fiebing's Golden Mink Oil leather treatment on carbon steel, i.e., does it cause rust, prevent rust, or no effect? You would think this would be easy to find, but I've done a few internet searches and can't find the answer.
Thanks.

Richard
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fiebing mink oil and carbon steel

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Richard, i’m not sure about this oil causing problems with carbon steel. I think best practice is not to store any knife in a sheath for long time periods. I’ve seen the green gunk that forms on bolsters from the oils in leather. It does some real damage if left for long periods. I never leave a knife in a sheath for storage, only for use. Then it comes out and is wiped down and oil reapplied to the blade and bolster or finger guard.
Hope this helps.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
klinerm

Post by klinerm »

Thanks, that's what I usually do. Before I learned this, I let the brass guard on a mint 60's stag Randall get corroded by accident, made me feel kind of ill. I've noticed the effect seems to vary with different steels / metals, but your advice is spot-on.

Richard
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The chemicals used in the leather tanning process are the culprit. Knives stored in continual contact with leather for extended time will develop "verdigris" whether the leather has been treated with mink oil or not.

I'm told that vegetable-tanned leather is better but have no first hand experience with it. I don't store any knives in their sheath regardless, as I typically have no idea what tanning process was used. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”