Old Remington mod

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Winchester M21

Old Remington mod

Post by Winchester M21 »

I picked up this old Remington that appeared to have been rehandled and a blade swapped out with an old can opener blade. I made a single blade out of it and put some red bone handles on it. This was my third attempt at rehandling and was somewhat successful!!
670D53C7-2DE5-4CCD-9AA1-ED99310C9D05.jpeg
68A199EE-5713-4045-B235-EDD3DBB5490F.jpeg
Life is too short to carry an ugly knife!!
Shawn
Byrd

Re: Old Remington mod

Post by Byrd »

I'd say you were more that somewhat successful! That knife looks great!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

That, Sir, is now one good looking Gentleman's knife! ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Shawn that's real nice. You did a wonderful job, and I really like the color of the handles. You also got the edge of the handle right up against the bolster with almost no gap. Nicely done. ::nod:: ::tu::

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Shawn, nice job! I like the color, of that red! "Life is too short to carry an ugly knife". Couldn't agree more! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Excellent job! That’s a great looking knife now!
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

You did well Shawn. ::nod:: ::nod::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Good job Shawn! ::tu::
I really like single blade mods and have several of them in my EDC collection.
XX Case XX wrote:You also got the edge of the handle right up against the bolster with almost no gap. Nicely done.
It's ideal to be able to get the handle material fit flush to the bolster, but when you are working on old knives, especially ones that have been carried for a long time and have been pocket worn or may be polished from time to time, you will notice there's not a shsrp line at the edge of the bolster. Frequently the edge of the bolster has been worn down or have rounded off so that even when you have a good fit of the bone against the bolster, it often appears that there is a gap because the edge is worn away at the top.

Sometimes no matter how hard you try for a nice tight fit against the bolster the rounding and wear of the bolster edge makes it impossible to get a flush fit. ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

nice pair of pants you put on ...
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Great job on the rescue!
That looks like the same Catalina Crimson I used on my Boker rescue. I like the way you finished your handles. I think I took a little too much off mine.
ANYWAY..... once again..... great job and a beautiful rescue!

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

orvet wrote:
It's ideal to be able to get the handle material fit flush to the bolster, but when you are working on old knives, especially ones that have been carried for a long time and have been pocket worn or may be polished from time to time, you will notice there's not a shsrp line at the edge of the bolster. Frequently the edge of the bolster has been worn down or have rounded off so that even when you have a good fit of the bone against the bolster, it often appears that there is a gap because the edge is worn away at the top.

Sometimes no matter how hard you try for a nice tight fit against the bolster the rounding and wear of the bolster edge makes it impossible to get a flush fit. ::shrug::
I'm glad you posted that Dale. I set such a high standard for my self that I get frustrated when I can't get everything to fit like I think it should!
I keep filing and sanding and trying to make every part fit like a new knife. SO.... that statement gives me a new outlook for the details during an old knife rescue.
Thanks Dale!

Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!

I have had a lot of phone time and text time with Dale Vincent! I would like to thank him for putting up with me pestering him all the time!!

I did have to file the edge of the bolster to get the bone to match up square. Still learning but it was fun!
Shawn
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Great job on the rescue!
That looks like the same Catalina Crimson I used on my Boker rescue. I like the way you finished your handles. I think I took a little too much off mine.
ANYWAY..... once again..... great job and a beautiful rescue!

Mike
I think that is what I used. I got them from Cullpepper for like 3.00 a set or something like that! Cheap I thought.

Ive ruined one set already!! ::facepalm::
Shawn
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Nice job, quite a nice user now!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
orvet wrote:

I'm glad you posted that Dale. I set such a high standard for my self that I get frustrated when I can't get everything to fit like I think it should!
I keep filing and sanding and trying to make every part fit like a new knife. SO.... that statement gives me a new outlook for the details during an old knife rescue.
Thanks Dale!

I'm glad it was helpful Mike. ::nod::

A couple things I’ve learned while working on knives is to approach every knife is a learning opportunity. I’m always amazed at what I learn when working on a knife that I thought I knew inside and out.

The other thing is don’t give up a project that you think is a wash out, especially when it’s just a cosmetic issue. You can even accent a flaw and make a knife look better. The process of struggling with really tough issues and finishing the knife is where I learned some of my best skills. Go ahead and finish out knives with the cosmetic issues that you think are insurmountable. You will learn new skills and techniques to overcome problems.

I guess the common theme in both of these is learning. People that are lifelong learners can do well with hobby of knife repair.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

orvet wrote:
The other thing is don’t give up a project that you think is a wash out, especially when it’s just a cosmetic issue. You can even accent a flaw and make a knife look better. The process of struggling with really tough issues and finishing the knife is where I learned some of my best skills. Go ahead and finish out knives with the cosmetic issues that you think are insurmountable. You will learn new skills and techniques to overcome problems.

I guess the common theme in both of these is learning. People that are lifelong learners can do well with hobby of knife repair.
I have a bad habit of saying "to heck with this mess" and walking away. BUT... the last 2 knives I have done have taught me to stay with it and finish. Even if there is a blaring flaw that I see as soon as I pick up that knife..... Now, I will at least finish and learn from the mistake.

Thanks Dale..... you are a big help to all knife mechanics!

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
I have a bad habit of saying "to heck with this mess" and walking away. BUT... the last 2 knives I have done have taught me to stay with it and finish. Even if there is a blaring flaw that I see as soon as I pick up that knife..... Now, I will at least finish and learn from the mistake.

That's a great lesson!
It seems like the about half of the knives I work on go through an ugly stage just before I finish them. They aren't looking like I envisioned and I want to toss them. But slowly they come to life and sometimes they wait until the final polish before the transition happens and they look good, usually better than I had envisioned!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

OK I guess I'll go ahead and finish the 6318 I got mad at!!! :lol:
Shawn
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Winchester M21 wrote:OK I guess I'll go ahead and finish the 6318 I got mad at!!! :lol:
::tu:: ::tu::
Get on it!!

::nod::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Winchester M21 wrote:OK I guess I'll go ahead and finish the 6318 I got mad at!!! :lol:

It may surprise you Shawn, it might end up being one of your favorites when you're through with it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”