Boker repair

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Henryaus

Boker repair

Post by Henryaus »

Gday
Was wondering if anyone could help?
I have a henry boker 3 blade stockmans knife which has a broken back spring on main blade and the delrin scales are buggered. I made a new back spring but think i might be a mm or two out. Id like to have it fixed professionally but am having no luck here in Aus. Anyone have any suggestions? I know it will probably cost more than the knife is worth but it has sentimental value.
Thanks
Attached pics are what it should look like
83721CC4-A644-4555-B3E1-70483C08E9B3.jpeg
BACDDD4F-D923-4BBB-BF5D-CA520CB928D4.jpeg
just bob

Re: Boker repair

Post by just bob »

Kaleb - Muskrat Man just did a backspring for me and did a super job. I think that starts at $35 + the S&H involved. That's not a bad looking knife. IMO the very best thing to do would be try and find a donor knife on ebay with a good spring and scale. Obviously if you can take the knife apart and put a spring in then you could repair the knife yourself and save a lot of $ in labor and S&H. Would a decent knife like this one on ebay bring much more than $35?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
just bob

Post by just bob »

Something just occurred to me. What is the length of your knife and what is the thickness of the spring you need? There is at least a small chance that the spring from a Boker 3 blade stockman with bolsters would plug into your knife without alteration. If that would happen to work I may have one. If they are the same length the location of the rocker pin hole would be critical. I can send you a pic if it is close.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Henryaus

Post by Henryaus »

Bob
The knife in the top pic is advertisd for $300usd. They are quite hard to find in that pattern without bolsters. So a donor knife is not really an option. I have the spring made , im sure with a little heat or manipulating it will work. Im not really fussed if the scales are jigged bone or delrin. I know the old story about when you replace parts its not the same knife ,but i still want to repair it. As for the length, i will give it a measure and get back to you.
Thanks for your help mate.
Joe
Henryaus

Post by Henryaus »

Bob
The spring is 3mm thick, not taking into account any wear. Knife is 94mm long measuring liners. End pin to centre pin looks to be 40mm
Thanks
D77795C4-5E1D-4FD3-B764-17FFFDB6AEF2.jpeg
Henryaus

Post by Henryaus »

Decided to have a crack at it myself , being the impatient person i am. Not perfect , but im pretty happy with it. Clip blade is just a touch loose in the closed position . When i get more time ill pull it apart and bend it a touch. Pics are prior to clean after rebuild. As you can probably notice, the oins are a bit ordinary.
Thanks everyone for your advice.
CAEA3608-EFE9-40CD-BBD9-1A88A7903F38.jpeg
9B859E3D-C872-468D-AC87-BBB31EDC0642.jpeg
FD28254C-3B21-4872-BF2C-142082335DB7.jpeg
14C8F8DE-BC29-4F73-B1D0-AC2D115D13A7.jpeg
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Doesn't look bad at all! Looks very serviceable now. Good job!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Henryaus, that looks pretty good. You may have found your calling. ::tu::

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”