Help......is this repairable?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
smithler

Help......is this repairable?

Post by smithler »

Good evening all!

I’m new to this forum and hoping for some guidance on knife repair if possible.

My wife’s grandfather passed away last year and when we were clearing out his house my mother in law gave me his old pocket knife that he used to take out in the garden with him. It’s a foldable lock knife. The handle secured together by rivets. The blade must have snapped because it’s been cut down at some point.

My questions are:

- Is it possible to open the knife and replace the blade?
- If so, how tricky is this?
- Is there anywhere that does these repairs? (UK based)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice
Attachments
152ED6C3-CB1A-47EC-B9BC-651A2AE6ECE8.jpeg
samb1955

Re: Help......is this repairable?

Post by samb1955 »

Wow, that knife has been used! If it could talk I bet it could tell some stories.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Yes, it is repairable(with a replacement blade). I know of many mechanics in the US, but I'm sorry, I don't know of any in your region
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I have a knife from my dad with a damaged blade. I've decided to leave it as I know he continued to use it even after the damage. I can buy a new knife but I can never replace the one from him. Just memories for me. Glad you got it.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

doglegg wrote:I have a knife from my dad with a damaged blade. I've decided to leave it as I know he continued to use it even after the damage. I can buy a new knife but I can never replace the one from him. Just memories for me. Glad you got it.
I have the only knife existing from my paternal grandfather (1876-1970), although he had many. It is heavily worn; I bought an identical one in new condition (from the 1950s) and I keep them together; I would not repair the heirloom knife nor release it to anyone.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Yes, it could be repaired; but is it economically feasible? Then it would be a different knife than your wifes ancestor used. I would keep it the way it is.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

It’s not practical to repair that. But I think finding one just like it in better condition would be the answer. Keep it the way it is and either use it or display it somewhere to remind you of him. The newer version would be a way to honor that memory if you wanted a good knife to use, but having the old one around to place in your hand every now and then would be nice too.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It reminds me of a saying I heard (I think) here on AAPK. "This is my grandfather's ax. My father replaced the bit and I replaced the handle." The point being that when you start repairing something like your grandfather's knife by replacing parts, at some point, determined by you, it no longer becomes your grandfather's knife. I'm a sentimental old fool and my opinion is leave it as is.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”