Hello from Alberta - it's been a long time

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Diligence

Hello from Alberta - it's been a long time

Post by Diligence »

Folks,

Some of you know me, some do not. I was just poking around some old posts last night trying to find some photos of my old work and it seems it was 7 years or so since I last posted! Yikes - my how time flies!

Orvet and I were chatting and he suggested I drop a note of greeting - so here you are!

Trust that you are all sharing your knowledge freely and learning by making mistakes!

Cheers from Alberta,

Jaye
Doc B

Re: Hello from Alberta - it's been a long time

Post by Doc B »

Hello from Texas! I wasn't around 7 years ago...but I specialize in making mistakes! Got any pictures of your work, in the last 7 years?
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Welcome back Jaye. It's good to see you post once again. Hope you're doing well. ::handshake::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Welcome back!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Doc B wrote:Hello from Texas! I wasn't around 7 years ago...but I specialize in making mistakes! Got any pictures of your work, in the last 7 years?
Doc,
I did some searching to find some of Jaye’s old posts for his customized knives and I found a few. I also found several topics where all the pictures were missing. This happened several years ago when we had a server crash. In the crash and the following transfer to a new server a number of pictures were lost. Bryan was able to recover some of the pictures but not all of them.
I was able to find a few examples of Jaye’s customized knives.
Some of these were knives he had customized when he was just learning to customize.
Here are the links:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8272&p=93457#p93457

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8732&p=72186#p72186

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7640&p=65171#p65171

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6932&p=57579#p57579

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6846&p=56856#p56856

Maybe Jaye will be able to make a little time to come back and visit us and post some pictures of the knives he has worked on in the past and hopefully knives you will do in the future!

I have been on AAPK for a long time (13 years in May) and working on knives most of that time. I have had made a lot of friends, many are still here but a good many of them have moved on. Jaye was one of the young men I really enjoyed interacting with in the forum, especially in the Knife Repair & Restoration forums. He is very talented and creative, I hope he can come back and post on a somewhat regular basis. I do realize he is raising a family and he’s a good dad who likes to do things with his kids. Maybe one of these days Jaye and his son will be the first father & son knife customizing team! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

orvet wrote:
Doc B wrote:Hello from Texas! I wasn't around 7 years ago...but I specialize in making mistakes! Got any pictures of your work, in the last 7 years?
Doc,
I did some searching to find some of Jaye’s old posts for his customized knives and I found a few. I also found several topics where all the pictures were missing. This happened several years ago when we had a server crash. In the crash and the following transfer to a new server a number of pictures were lost. Bryan was able to recover some of the pictures but not all of them.
I was able to find a few examples of Jaye’s customized knives.
Some of these were knives he had customized when he was just learning to customize.
Here are the links:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8272&p=93457#p93457

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8732&p=72186#p72186

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7640&p=65171#p65171

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6932&p=57579#p57579

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6846&p=56856#p56856

Maybe Jaye will be able to make a little time to come back and visit us and post some pictures of the knives he has worked on in the past and hopefully knives you will do in the future!

I have been on AAPK for a long time (13 years in May) and working on knives most of that time. I have had made a lot of friends, many are still here but a good many of them have moved on. Jaye was one of the young men I really enjoyed interacting with in the forum, especially in the Knife Repair & Restoration forums. He is very talented and creative, I hope he can come back and post on a somewhat regular basis. I do realize he is raising a family and he’s a good dad who likes to do things with his kids. Maybe one of these days Jaye and his son will be the first father & son knife customizing team! ::tu::
Dale, Thanks for taking the time to find and post!!! Very nice work, indeed!!!!!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Welcome back, don't be a stranger!
Diligence

Post by Diligence »

hey- two visits in one day, maybe I'm back after all! Just need to dig the knife project box out of the shop.

here's a few more links of my stuff...thanks for finding the other ones Orvet.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8494&p=70327#p70327

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8348&p=69201#p69201

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8173&p=68322#p68322 favorite one I’ve ever done

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3312&p=24100#p24100

see you around.
Jaye
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Very nice work! Enjoyed those!
Twhite

Post by Twhite »

I just looked at your beautiful work.

If I may ask. How did you do the filigree on the back side of the springs. That just brings your work to another level.

I am just starting to dabble in restoration. I would love to see a short tutorial of the filigree.

Tom
Diligence

Post by Diligence »

Tom.

In my opinion, the best way to learn how to do "Vine Filework" is to experiment. Find yourself some thin bar stock, or old junker knife springs and see what happens.

I would suggest that you Google Vine Filework Knife and you will see lots of videos and images showing different methods.

In my case, I use both triangular files and round files. I never got too fussed about making the spacing perfect, which is why I called it "random rope"....it just seemed to fit my eye better.

D
Twhite

Post by Twhite »

Diligence wrote:Tom.

In my opinion, the best way to learn how to do "Vine Filework" is to experiment. Find yourself some thin bar stock, or old junker knife springs and see what happens.

I would suggest that you Google Vine Filework Knife and you will see lots of videos and images showing different methods.

In my case, I use both triangular files and round files. I never got too fussed about making the spacing perfect, which is why I called it "random rope"....it just seemed to fit my eye better.

D
Thanks I will check them out. I am just starting tinkering with knives. Your work gives me inspiration.

Tom

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”