Shell, yet again...

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Doc B

Shell, yet again...

Post by Doc B »

My son recently got married in Rhode Island. He is a medical x-ray technician, in the Navy, stationed in Connecticut. His new wife, is from Providence, Rhode Island and her parents still live there. Since Imperial knives come from Providence...I wanted to revamp an old Imperial for her father, the weekend that I met him. The blades were a bit rough, the handles didn't look too bad...however, they were still a shell...
IMG_1025.jpg
IMG_1026.jpg
IMG_1030.jpg
This is how I solder: Clean up the liners, flux, hammer out some solder and put it all on the outdoor grill, on a magnesia soldering block. A pencil line, on the liner will create a "dam", so your solder doesn't flow out to the handle area. The block is very soft and I carved out some of it to allow more even heating, with the torch. One advantage of the magnesia block is...as the solder gets heated up, it dries out and often the two items shift a bit. Not a problem for a conversion, because the bolster is a bigger square, that will get cut down later; however, I have had to resolder a bolster, that came off. The magnesia block is very soft and you can use sewing pins, stuck in to the block, to secure it in place, better.
IMG_1031.jpg
IMG_1032.jpg
Grossly contoured and pinning canvas micarta handles...
IMG_1033.jpg
I accidentally drilled the center backspring pin hole, in the handles...essentially creating two "pile side" configurations. So, I had to create the 4th hole, on the handle. Sometimes, accidents work out...I think it gave it more symmetry in the pins. Just pay attention...if it's your project...I would have been torqued...if I'd had to start another handle...
IMG_1044.jpg
IMG_1045.jpg
I gave it to her dad , over dinner, after the wedding. I told him it was made, with a lot of thoughts and prayers, for the futures of our kids and our two families. I said it was kind of a "Texas meets Providence Knife".
Prior to my trip...I got a laugh, when I showed it to my assistant. She quipped..."It's kind of like your future Grandbabies"
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Shell, yet again...

Post by doglegg »

That turned out really knice DocB. I appreciate the pictures of the process and finished product which looks great. I bet it went well with the new family member as well. ::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Great job!
Thanks for the great post.... (and great story!)

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great story Doc, but an even better mod of the old shell Barlow! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's a nice gesture, hope he appreciated it as much as we do here!
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

It's great to see a barlow brought back to nice condition. I like it.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

A great story and sentiment, and nice job on that rebuilt knife.
Joe

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”