Old Camillus Cub Scout Knife

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
MStorms2672

Old Camillus Cub Scout Knife

Post by MStorms2672 »

Hello AAPK Members,
I'm new to pocket knife repair and I have limited knowledge of pocket knives overall.

That being said, I am a cub scout leader and we are about to get into the knife learning part. I picked up two vintage Camillus knives to gift to my and his friend when the time comes. Both need cleaning but one needs repair. The scales are popping and the shackle came loose on one side. It looks like a previous repair was attempted on the shackle.

I'll do the work but I really don't know what I'm doing. Any help is appreciated!

Thabks,
Mike
Attachments
IMG_20190109_201037727.jpg
IMG_20190109_201137455.jpg
IMG_20190109_201047206.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Camillus Cub Scout Knife

Post by orvet »

Hi Mike,
Welcome to AAPK. ::welcome::

Without experience in the tools required it would be a little difficult to facilitate that repair.
If you can post a side view of the knife with the blades open, so I can better see if I have one like it. If I do have one that is functional or one that I can repair, I’ll fix it up and send it to you. I won’t send you a broken or unsafe knife.

Have you learned the PM (private message) function here on AAPK yet? Probably on the upper right-hand side above for your viewing this topic you will see an envelope icon that says private messages beside it. After you post some more pictures I will see if I have one like it or perhaps a different Cub Scout knife, if a different model is acceptable, and I will contact you through the PM system to get your address to send you the knife.

Welcome to AAPK ::tu::
Dale
PS – In case you’re wondering, there’s no charge.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Good on you Dale!

Hi Mike,

In addition to Dale's generous offer, you may be able to make the knife serviceable to an extent. The covers(scales) are shrinking, that probably can be fixed with some epoxy or super glue and a clamp, but they also may not hold. As to the bail, it may be easier to remove it altogether, and then lightly round over the pin heads with a hammer. However, as Dale mentioned, without the tools and experience, things can go wrong quickly.

BTW, thank you for being a leader! I know personally it can sometimes be a thankless job.
just bob

Post by just bob »

Welcome to AAPK. Just curious about your user name. Do you have any connection to this ebay seller with a very similar name?
mstorm1982 . He sells a lot of knives.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
MStorms2672

Post by MStorms2672 »

Dale,
You're offer us extremely generous and I thank you! I will post pictures tonight and PM you as well.

glennbad,
I thought about the epoxy/super glue and taking off the bail as well. Sometimes it is thankless but seeing my son's form personalities, make friends and learn skills is worth it for me.

just bob,
That's not me. My user name on eBay is mstorms2672. I sell watches and watch related items mostly. I don't know enough about knives right now to sell them. It's not out of the question at a later date though.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

MStorms2672 wrote: Sometimes it is thankless but seeing my son's form personalities, make friends and learn skills is worth it for me.
That's the best reason right there!
MStorms2672

Post by MStorms2672 »

Dale,
Here are some more pics!
Attachments
IMG_20190110_163404959.jpg
IMG_20190110_163415327.jpg
IMG_20190110_163419657.jpg
IMG_20190110_163432847.jpg
IMG_20190110_163438638.jpg
IMG_20190110_163443705.jpg
MStorms2672

Post by MStorms2672 »

glennbad wrote:
MStorms2672 wrote: Sometimes it is thankless but seeing my son's form personalities, make friends and learn skills is worth it for me.
That's the best reason right there!
Scouting is a great alternative to a lot of other things out there in the world!
MStorms2672

Post by MStorms2672 »

Dale,
I tried to PM you but I'm not sure if it sent or not. It looks like it's sitting in the 'outbox' and never sent.

Mike
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

MStorms2672 wrote:Dale,
I tried to PM you but I'm not sure if it sent or not. It looks like it's sitting in the 'outbox' and never sent.

Mike
That typically means that the person you sent it to has not read it yet.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Mike,
I got your PM and I am looking to see what I have in the way of Cub Scout knives.
I get back to you tomorrow, maybe sooner. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

MStorms2672

Post by MStorms2672 »

Dale and glennbad,
Thank you both!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

MStorms2672 wrote: Scouting is a great alternative to a lot of other things out there in the world!
You said a mouth full right there!!
I see too many... WAY TOO MANY... kids that have NO GUIDANCE. Kids are just left to be lead by other kids and then that just leads to kids growing up and joining gangs. it's a sad situation.
When I was an assistant scout leader, I felt like if I could help ONE kid find a better way in life then it was ALL worth it.

Keep up the good work!!
And may God bless your efforts!

Mike
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
MStorms2672

Post by MStorms2672 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
MStorms2672 wrote: Scouting is a great alternative to a lot of other things out there in the world!
You said a mouth full right there!!
I see too many... WAY TOO MANY... kids that have NO GUIDANCE. Kids are just left to be lead by other kids and then that just leads to kids growing up and joining gangs. it's a sad situation.
When I was an assistant scout leader, I felt like if I could help ONE kid find a better way in life then it was ALL worth it.

Keep up the good work!!
And may God bless your efforts!

Mike
::tu::
Mike,
Thank you! That's very kind of you. We have a small group of kids and we grow slowly. It's worth every bit of effort we put into the kids. They're a good group. My den is next requirement is knives, knife safety, etc. That lead me here. My oldest son has an appreciation for older things and I thought a vintage Cub Scout knife would be a nice gift. I'm going to teach the kids with these knives and they get to keep them when they're ready. The latter they don't know yet though.
just bob

Post by just bob »

If you can figure out a way to post your address you could probably find a few people like me that would be happy to send you an old scout knife for your troop to learn with. Good project!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
MStorms2672

Post by MStorms2672 »

just bob wrote:If you can figure out a way to post your address you could probably find a few people like me that would be happy to send you an old scout knife for your troop to learn with. Good project!
just bob,
Donations are the backbone of any scout troop as you well know! Any and all donations are always greatly appreciated!

My address is:
Michael Storms
153 Park Ave
Gloucester City, NJ 08030
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Hi Mike,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've been busy the last few days.
Thank you for posting your address, I will send the knife pictured below off to you on Monday.
Camillus Cub Scout a.jpg
Camillus Cub Scout b.jpg
I realize yours and wasn't blue, but I don't have a black Camillus Cub Scout knife. This one won't win any beauty contest but should make a good first knife for a Cub Scout.
I hope a lot of our members can step up and donated knife or two to help your Troop out.
BTW, I did not sharpen the blade on the knife I'm sending. I thought you might want to teach them how to do that. Besides, you may not want kids the razor-sharp knife.

I hope your boys enjoy them and enjoy the scouting experience.
It's obvious from the comments here that many of us have fond memories of scouting.

Welcome aboard, ::tu::
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

MStorms2672

Post by MStorms2672 »

Dale,
For once, I'm at a loss for words. Kind people still exist in world! This is very generous of you and is very deeply appreciated. Mine is in fact blue. The lighting in the pictures isn't the greatest.

If it works it's beautiful to me! Thank you for your forethought and not sharpening. I do have to teach the kids how to sharpen.

In the year that my boys have been in scouts, I've seen good changes in their personalities. That's what I was hoping for. I would like to help them shape into decent human beings. I can show them the right way but it's up to them to continue that right way.

They're good kids and I want to keep them that way.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

As a nerdy boy who didn’t play sports, Scouting really appealed to me. Those are some really great memories. My father became our Scoutmaster, so I saw just how much you sacrifice for those boys. May God bless you, sir!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
just bob

Post by just bob »

I tried to get something sent your way today, but Pay Pal did not recognize your shipping address for a label and kept saying invalid zip code. I'll bet it was just a glitch and they'll have it straightened out soon. I'll be sending something your way as well.

just bob

Post by just bob »

MStorms2672 wrote:
just bob wrote:If you can figure out a way to post your address you could probably find a few people like me that would be happy to send you an old scout knife for your troop to learn with. Good project!
just bob,
Donations are the backbone of any scout troop as you well know! Any and all donations are always greatly appreciated!

My address is:
Michael Storms
153 Park Ave
Gloucester City, NJ 08030
I tried several time to print a shipping label on pay pal and was unable to do so. I contacted help and they said they had no idea why they wouldn't accept the address, but try adding 1358 to the zip code. I did and that worked and the label printed so anyone else have a problem with this - 08030 - 1358. It works. Funny this has never happened before and I use this a lot.

MStorms2672

Post by MStorms2672 »

Reverand wrote:As a nerdy boy who didn’t play sports, Scouting really appealed to me. Those are some really great memories. My father became our Scoutmaster, so I saw just how much you sacrifice for those boys. May God bless you, sir!
Reverand,
Thank you for the compliments! I'm trying to create those memories for my boys and the other scouts. Famous last words, "You're time spent will only be 1 hour a week."
MStorms2672

Post by MStorms2672 »

just bob,
That is really odd. I buy and sell often through PayPal and that issue has never come up from anyone else. I'm glad you figured it out though. Again, much appreciation for the donation.

Mike
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Mike,
There is a bit of a problem with that knife so I haven't send it yet. I thought it would be an easy fix but it's not, I think I'm going to save that knife and use it for a parts knife.
I had a better version of that same knife in my store and I am sending it instead. If everything goes according to the plan I will mail it tomorrow.
The one I'm sending is better all-around, but far from perfect.
Mark side.jpg
pile side.jpg
Sorry for the delay,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

MStorms2672

Post by MStorms2672 »

orvet wrote:Mike,
There is a bit of a problem with that knife so I haven't send it yet. I thought it would be an easy fix but it's not, I think I'm going to save that knife and use it for a parts knife.
I had a better version of that same knife in my store and I am sending it instead. If everything goes according to the plan I will mail it tomorrow.
The one I'm sending is better all-around, but far from perfect.

Mark side.jpg

pile side.jpg

Sorry for the delay,
Dale
Dale,
I appreciate it but it's really not necessary to go through all that trouble. The effort that you've already put in is more than enough.

No worries honestly!

Mike

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”