Schrade Pin Sizes

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade Pin Sizes

Post by Jeffinn »

There's still alot of surplus Schrade pin stock out there but the information associated with them is sketchy at best. I've purchased some of these recently and in an effort to help others avoid confusion about the sizes, materials etc. I put together a small spreadsheet to help with the identification of these pins.
For the pins that I purchased there were some with the standard round dome heads, some with flat chamfered heads (flat on top, tapered towards the pin, and one other type that I called flat head raised (think extra thick flat head). For materials, I had steel (sticks to a magnet), nickel steel (doesn't stick to a magnet) and brass (the color of brass but could be another metal I suppose). Additionally the ends of the pins are identified as either solid or hollow (self explanatory)
Measurements were all taken with a digital caliper and I've put the measurements in mm for the metric folks and inches for the other folks. Metric to American conversions were all done with the caliper's functionality.
You may see examples where the metric to american conversion isn't always the same (.07 inches for example being equal to a few different mm sizes). The numbers in the spreadsheet are exactly as the caliper displayed them. I suppose its possible that the caliper is a bit more sensitive in the MM mode than in the inch mode but since we're only talking about a few hundredths of an inch, I don't believe it to be an issue.
I'll add new entries to this sheet as I add additional pin stock.
If you have some spec's that you'd like included, just shoot me an message or e-mail with the details and I'll update the spreadsheet.
I hope this helps!
Thanks.
Jeff
Schrade Pin Stock.jpg
(I was going to just attach the spreadsheet but the forum only accepts images. Click on the image to view full sized)
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade Pin Sizes

Post by orvet »

Nice job Jeff!
I believe the pins with a hollow ends are called tubular pins.

I am not sure that the numbers you have listed as the Schrade number actually Schrade's numbers. I have purchased more of these pins than I care to admit over the last 14 years (is it really been that long since Schrade closed?) and I have seen a variety of different numbers including the same number on different size pins. Most of the pins I have seen on eBay have been sold since Camillus closed. I don't recall a significant number of pins on eBay after the Schrade closure, and I always have a search active on eBay for Schrade parts, Camillus parts, and knife parts in general.

I think some an eBay seller or someone the sellers were buying from, may have made up some of these numbers for their own inventory purposes or something.

I have been buying different lots of these pins for nearly 10 years, although the number of different styles and sizes of these pins has diminished drastically in the last three or four years. I also believe that there have been a number of Camillus pins mixed in with the Schrade pins in these auctions as well as pins from other sources. I have wondered if some of these so-called "Schrade pins" are purchased from current manufacturers of pins and resold as being from the Schrade factory. There are some of these Schrade pins that I have never seen a Schrade knife.

I am wondering if you have observed mismarked pins since you have been cataloguing these?
I'm also curious as to when you started keeping track of these?

I'm in total agreement with you that the information is sketchy. It may also be helpful if those of us who are working on knives list the size of pins that we most commonly use. I probably have $300+ worth of pins that I have purchased one bag at a time on eBay and I there are really only three or four different sizes that I use an appreciable quantity. It might be helpful for the new guys to know which sizes are most commonly used.

Great job! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”