How to repair loose blade

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

How to repair loose blade

Post by stockman »

I have older stockman, the spay blade on lower end has side to side slack. The pin shows on pile side, mark side not showing. I don"t want to replace the pin. What do I need to do?

Harold
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: How to repair loose blade

Post by glennbad »

Hi Harold,

Attempting repairs of any type on a knife can have disastrous results if done improperly. That being said, a sometimes fix is to sandwich the bolsters between leather strips, and GENTLY compress in a vice. I have found that while this may tighten things up some, it does not always stay fixed. The main reason is that pin (that you can see showing) has pulled into the bolster. It was originally flared out to hold everything together, but through use or abuse, has loosened up enough to pull.

In my experience, once a pin has pulled, even if it is compressed back together, it will tend to go back that way under continued use. They only more permanent fix I have found is to replace the pin altogether, re-peen it, and re-finish the bolsters.. If you do not have experience doing it, then I do not recommend you attempting it without practice on other less valuable knives first.

Glenn
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks Glenn.

Harold
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Not that I am an expert,but everything Glen said I have experienced.
Good luck in getting that blade fixed. I also hate loose blades. :D

Bob
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Glenn if I may ask, can you replace the pin without taking the entire knife apart ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

philco wrote:Glenn if I may ask, can you replace the pin without taking the entire knife apart ?
Short answer, yes. You'd have to be able to tap out the pin, then obviously have replacement pin material of the same thickness as the current one. The last thing you will need is the ability to flex the spring(s) enough to get the new pin in. It sounds like on the OP knife, the spey is on the back end, where the spring for the main (clip?) is. That's a tough end to do, as the springs are differently shaped. See the attached pic.

stock spring.jpg

See how the spey spring runs flat to the end, and the main spring slopes up to the top of the bolster? Even with the proper tools, it's still quite difficult to flex both those springs the proper amount to place the pin. Not sure how other mechanics do theirs, but I always pin this end first on a stockman for that reason.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If you drive the pin out with another pin, you don't have to worry about all that!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Kase's Kutlery Plus

Post by Kase's Kutlery Plus »

How long does it usually take to replace a pin? It seems like a tedious task?
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Kase's Kutlery Plus wrote:How long does it usually take to replace a pin? It seems like a tedious task?
If you have the right tools and experience, about 10-15 minutes.
Kase's Kutlery Plus

Post by Kase's Kutlery Plus »

glennbad wrote:
Kase's Kutlery Plus wrote:How long does it usually take to replace a pin? It seems like a tedious task?
If you have the right tools and experience, about 10-15 minutes.
I'm going to have to start practicing!!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I think Bill's method of driving the old pin out with a new pin would work well with steel pins, but nickel silver pins are much softer. I have never successfully replaced a pin by driving the old one out with a new nickel silver pin.
I am using cutlery nickel silver pins and not pins made from jewelry nickel silver wire, most of the nickel silver pins I used are premade cutlery pins and I still find them to soft to drive out the old pin.

Sidebar:
I have experimented with purchasing nickel silver wire from jewelry making sites and making my own pin from that nickel silver wire. I don't know all the ins and outs of the way of the way they grade hardness in the jewelry business, but "dead soft" and "half hard" are a couple of the terms I have seen used applied to nickel silver wire. The nickel silver wire I have purchased from jewelry supply sites is the perfect size, but it was rated "dead soft" and was way too soft for a pivot pin.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

I'm with Dale on this one, driving pins with pins works occasionally on steel and/or if the pin is not very tight to begin with. The only thing I use jewelers wire for is scale pins, the hardness is not an issue and sometimes is helpful but they are generally too soft for most other operations.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”