Knife Repair Book

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Kase's Kutlery Plus

Knife Repair Book

Post by Kase's Kutlery Plus »

Could anyone recommend a good book on how to do knife repairs? I can do a lot of the basics and what not but I'm always looking to increase my knowledge. I've bought a couple but I haven't been impressed. Thanks Kasey!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife Repair Book

Post by Mumbleypeg »

See this thread for some recommendations viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58370&p=667717&hilit=Adrian#p667715

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

The two that I have. The Harris book is readily available, the Ben Kelley one is out of print, but you may be able to find one online.
IMG_2515.JPG
IMG_2516.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
just bob

Post by just bob »

As far as I know there are basically 3 older books on pocketknife repair. The 2 shown above and also Blackie Collins has a book. The Ben Kelley book is far and away the best of the 3. These books are all dated and times, material, tools, etc. have changed. There is far more current good information in the tutorial section of AAPK than there is in any of the 3 books. Study it and then Google what you're looking for help on and maybe you'll be lucky and find a Utube video. I found one on soldering that helped me a lot. There are also several books on knife making and that information can also be very helpful about lay out and materials.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

just bob wrote:As far as I know there are basically 3 older books on pocketknife repair. The 2 shown above and also Blackie Collins has a book. The Ben Kelley book is far and away the best of the 3. These books are all dated and times, material, tools, etc. have changed. There is far more current good information in the tutorial section of AAPK than there is in any of the 3 books. Study it and then Google what you're looking for help on and maybe you'll be lucky and find a Utube video. I found one on soldering that helped me a lot. There are also several books on knife making and that information can also be very helpful about lay out and materials.
Yes you are correct in that the Kelley book is much more comprehensive than the others. Also Muskratman has some youtube videos available that are very informative.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

If anyone is looking for the Ben Kelley book show above, there is one for sale on Ebay today.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Pocke ... Swd1tdz0Gx
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:29 am If anyone is looking for the Ben Kelley book show above, there is one for sale on Ebay today.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Pocke ... Swd1tdz0Gx
And there’s a few more copies here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... d&qid=&sr=
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

The Ben Kelley book is the one I have. It's a good one!
Seems I got it from the bay years ago.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Ben Kelly's book is the first one I was able to get when I started repairing knives and its good though there are things in Adrian Harris' book that I find easier to understand.
If you get the most recent edition of Harris' book it has a couple chapters the first edition doesn't cover. Off top of my head I remember a chapter on etching blades with an Electro-Chem Etch machine and some information on newer blade steels. I found both very helpful.

IMO, the most recent edition of Harris' book is the best book. If you can't find Kellys book you can usually find Harris' book for about $10 or so.

EDIT:
Knife Magazine Books has Harris' book for $8.99, I just checked.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Ozwelder

Post by Ozwelder »

G,day Mate,
I have purchased both books shown above and have found them to be extremely helpful on specific Pocket knife repair. I am unaware of any other books that offer more information on pocket repair, specifically. When you look at them they were written quite a while back and in the context of that time period there was not much mention of repair of pocket knives. I find people that criticize them don't really have a substitute that is better at this point of time.

Also have the Blackie Collins book The pocket Knife Manual.This book is not bad but not as informative as the two above.

Step by Step Knivemaking -You Can Do It by David Boye
Custom Knifemaking by Tim Mc Creight are books I bought 30 years ago when starting on fixed blades.There's sparse pocket knife info In them but still worth buying if you can get them cheap enough.

The first mentioned books above have the information from basic to advanced whereas the rest are not too bad .If there's a budget involved, based upon my experience ,I would say there's more value in the first two books mentioned.

And of course what trumps the the bloody lot are the collective experiences of the wise gentlemen right here on this forum.

My respect to you gents.

Ozwelder
Christopfer

Post by Christopfer »

Ozwelder wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:00 am G,day Mate,
I have purchased both books shown above and have found them to be extremely helpful on specific Pocket knife repair. I am unaware of any other books that offer more information on pocket repair, specifically. When you look at them they were written quite a while back and in the context of that time period there was not much mention of repair of pocket knives. I find people that criticize them don't really have a substitute that is better at this point of time.

Also have the Blackie Collins book The pocket Knife Manual.This book is not bad but not as informative as the two above.

Step by Step Knivemaking -You Can Do It by David Boye
Custom Knifemaking by Tim Mc Creight are books I bought 30 years ago when starting on fixed blades.There's sparse pocket knife info In them but still worth buying if you can get them cheap enough.

The first mentioned books above have the information from basic to advanced whereas the rest are not too bad .If there's a budget involved, based upon my experience ,I would say there's more value in the first two books mentioned.

And of course what trumps the the bloody lot are the collective experiences of the wise gentlemen right here on this forum.

My respect to you gents.

Ozwelder
Thanks for the objective feedback. I also thought about buying a Blackie Collins book, but I was looking for a review from a person who read it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: to AAPK, Christopfer! ::handshake:: Good luck! 8)
8)
Christopfer

Post by Christopfer »

Thanks!) :D ::handshake:: ::tu::

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”