Knife Repair Needed

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
dto1982

Knife Repair Needed

Post by dto1982 »

Hey Guys,

I have several higher end old Pocket knives that need various repairs. From scales to broken back springs. I've talked to Muskrat Man and hes swamped, so I'm asking for help to find anyone out there who does these types of repairs? Please share cause I'm driving myself crazy trying to find someone to fix them. I'd do it myself but I really dont want to "learn" on these Knives as they are way too valuable to make a mistake on.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife Repair Needed

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Any pictures of them we could see?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I am quite backlogged also, so cannot get to the work any time soon. Can't speak for any of the other mechanics. There is a member Gary Claxon (GClaxon) here, he does good work, not sure what his backlog is though.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Sorry, I can be of much help either, I will not be taking new orders until the first of the year and I will only be doing it then if my hands get better.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Can this knife be salvaged? It was my grandfather's and I'd love to have it restored as close to original as possible.
It is a New York Knife Co Walden Hammer Brand Army Pocket Knife. It is missing 1 complete grip and there is a
piece of the existing handle missing, below the "FE" in knife. Also the blade and tools have issues.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (46.06 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.06 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.18 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (38.52 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.34 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (40.75 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.48 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.46 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
just bob

Post by just bob »

Absolutely! that knife can be restored to an acceptable condition. If you want to keep it original you need to find other knives like this with good parts. Maybe you can find a knife with a good front handle and then another with a good back handle. You might also look for a bail and punch and also have the blades cleaned up a bit. When you have found all of the parts you need it wouldn't be hard to reassemble the knife with better parts. A good way to find parts is to put an ad on AAPK and then also watch ebay for knives like yours that are damaged. The alternative is to buy modern handle material from a company like Culpepper and have the knife modified. Only my 2¢ but I would keep it original as possible and look for parts. It might surprise you but I don't think those parts would be that hard to find.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Rannard

Post by Rannard »

USING VICTORINOX SPARES ON KNIVES OF OTHER MAKES

I have a well-made fisherman's knife marked foreign on the tang. I assume from its quality it is of German manufacture. Whilst liking the knife, its scissors detracted from it, having lost their spring. Few manufacturers supply spares for their knives, with the exception of Victorinox, and not knowing the manufacturer I set about repairing the knife with a Swiss Army Knife spring.

I used a Victorinox A3757 91mm knife spring. Fitting required drilling the existing hole out to 1.5mm and pressing the spring into position. Discovering the spring was slightly too long, it was shortened by grinding its free end on a bench grinder. The spring was a tight enough fit not to need epoxy or Locktite.

A purist might not like the fact that the knife is now slightly non-standard but it works well and a missing spring doesn't draw the eye.

Its tools are a main blade, tin opener, disgorger/file, scissors and a corkscrew. It has stainless steel sides, no separate scales. One is engraved with a measuring scale in inches and the other with fishhooks of five different sizes, No 8 to No 15. A bale and a screwdriver tip are fitted.

The 'Foreign' marking and the scale in inches suggest the knife was of German manufacture for export.

The troubles in the Ukraine seem to have stopped the supply of a wider range of SAK spare parts on ebay. One hopes the situation will settle down and the business restart.

15 February 2022
Attachments
Foreign fisherman's knife.jpg
Scissors with replacement spring.jpg

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”