Knife openers

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Knife openers

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

There has been some pictures recently on AAPK of old knife openers (I have also heard them referred to as knife picks). I took a look at some leftover materials I had and spent the last couple of days making up a few.
Left to right, and old Ulster cattle knife made into a pick, EZ open jack style handled in Padauk, Camillus 72 style handled in ironwood, conventional style handled in oak burl.
IMG_2328.JPG
The Ulster cattle knife was in a bag of junk knives a fellow I see at the local flea market gave to me. The insides were a mass of rust, but I salvaged the liners, bolsters, and the crimson celluloid covers.
IMG_2322.JPG
A new inner made from 18 gauge steel was pinned to the crimson covers.
IMG_2325.JPG
At least some of the old Ulster cattle knife lives on in another form.
IMG_2326.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Steve Warden

Re: Knife openers

Post by Steve Warden »

Now that there is pretty cool!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Not a bad use for old handles and knife parts. Very creative. I like this.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I think it's neat!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OC, your brain was working overtime to come up with that idea. Great idea and well executed. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great idea! I love it. I will have to give it a try because I often use a knife opener when working on knives. I have two or three knife openers I made for use in my shop. I will try to remember to post pictures when I get home.

In the Camillus Forum there are pictures of several different knife openers used by the inspectors in the Camillus Factory. Tom Williams sent me the pictures years ago and I posted them in the topic Nuggets of Camillus History topic.
Many were made from old paring knives or kitchen knives. Somewhere fancy somewhere.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Very nice OC! Great repurpose of the parts.
Good work from both your brain and your hands!!
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very creative OLDE CUTLER, my hat is off to you. ::tu::
Joe
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I like the pseudo-blade (with nail nick, no less!) I've got a Buck 303 I've prepped for this mod....by snapping the main blade at the tang ::groove::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I like that idea!!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Pretty neat.
I, too noticed the pseudo-blade. Are the other two done the same way?
Even the E/O cut out ?

::tu:: ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

...pictures of several different knife openers used by the inspectors in the Camillus factory.
Here is the link to Dale's photos (scroll down to last post on the page): viewtopic.php?f=63&t=20082&hilit=nuggets&start=30.

Note that all these picks are pointed vs. the blunt ones that Olde made. I wonder if pointed ones mean less chance for blade scratching because there is less metal-to-metal contact?

Dennis
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

deo-pa wrote:
...pictures of several different knife openers used by the inspectors in the Camillus factory.
Here is the link to Dale's photos (scroll down to last post on the page): viewtopic.php?f=63&t=20082&hilit=nuggets&start=30.

Note that all these picks are pointed vs. the blunt ones that Olde made. I wonder if pointed ones mean less chance for blade scratching because there is less metal-to-metal contact?

Dennis
Thanks for all the comments. Personally, I thought people would be questioning my sanity for wasting time on this project. It was kind of neat to give a new life to the old Ulster cattle knife, which had no hope of being resurrected. Yes, I have seen the pointed ones, but am still experimenting with the business end of these. I saw a recent post on AAPK that showed an original bone handled (Robeson I think) knife opener that inspired the shape I used on these. The three knife shaped ones I have pictured have the "pseudo blades" to make them look realistic. Hopefully others will run with this and come up with their own designs. I basically made the working end of these somewhat oversize with rounded corners to allow for grinding to a preferred shape.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

How do you make the center piece? Are you bending a piece, then just grinding it to shape? It looks stamped, bent then trimmed - awesome!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:How do you make the center piece? Are you bending a piece, then just grinding it to shape? It looks stamped, bent then trimmed - awesome!
No bending or stamping required. Just a flat piece of 18 gauge steel scrap, cut slightly oversize with aviation snips, then ground to shape and drilled. I cut the fake "pull" with the Dremel tool and a thin cutoff wheel. I don't know if it is necessary or not, but I hardened the working end somewhat by heating and quenching in oil.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

::tu::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Very unique and very cool. Love it ::tu:: ::tu::
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I made this one recently out of a Kabar that had a broken blade. The remaining pen blade was still good, so I left it intact and removed the broken blade and spring and replaced that with a knife opener.
IMG_5504.JPG
IMG_5505.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:54 pm I made this one recently out of a Kabar that had a broken blade. The remaining pen blade was still good, so I left it intact and removed the broken blade and spring and replaced that with a knife opener.

IMG_5504.JPG
IMG_5505.JPG
Good work OC! Very innovative 💡 as well.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Jim, you are a true knife pick/opener artist! Nothing like creating something out of nothing. Nice work! ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Necessity is the mother of invention, cool mods.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very creative and well done work Jim, we'll have to start calling you "Mr. Pic"!
8)
8)
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Retaining that little pen blade takes the utility value of that gismo to a whole new level. Not only will it help opening a knife blade, but it's also available for cleaning under finger nails, opening envelopes, and string cutting duty. Look out Leatherman, OC is about to show ya some tricks.
::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I fixed up another one to include a knife pick, this one is a Landers, Frary and Clark junior stock knife with the spey and awl blades broken. I removed the broken parts and replaced them with a piece of .032" steel that runs the full length and beyond the end, opposite the remaining clip blade. The broken and missing handle material was replaced with coca bola. Arrow shows the pick on the end.
IMG_5509.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:40 pm I fixed up another one to include a knife pick, this one is a Landers, Frary and Clark junior stock knife with the spey and awl blades broken. I removed the broken parts and replaced them with a piece of .032" steel that runs the full length and beyond the end, opposite the remaining clip blade. The broken and missing handle material was replaced with coca bola. Arrow shows the pick on the end.

IMG_5509.JPG

Great work OC.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”