This was a lesson in lever lock repair for me

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: This was a lesson in lever lock repair for me

Post by muskrat man »

Well Done ::tu::
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

That turned out pretty sweet. Nice resurrection ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice, Mike. ::tu::
Good save. ::nod::
Joe
just bob

Post by just bob »

That is nice but I'm very curious as to why you didn't have to heat treat it? When I cut a spring from strip steel it has to be heat treated. Does SS not have to be heat treated? When I need a spring I usually look in the junk box first and try to find something close. Heat treating steel isn't hard but it can go bad on you and the spring snap like a pretzel. It saves time to try and rework an existing spring.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I am so glad I read this thread. That repair job is fantastic. You have given me a great idea. I never thought about drilling the stainless and cutting w/ a hacksaw. I don’t have a whole lot of machines that you do this with, but I do have a drill and a hacksaw. Inspired. Thank you so much.
That knife sure cleaned up nice.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

just bob wrote:That is nice but I'm very curious as to why you didn't have to heat treat it? When I cut a spring from strip steel it has to be heat treated. Does SS not have to be heat treated? When I need a spring I usually look in the junk box first and try to find something close. Heat treating steel isn't hard but it can go bad on you and the spring snap like a pretzel. It saves time to try and rework an existing spring.
The lockbar on a knife like this western or a buck 110 or schrade lb7 doesn't HAVE to be tempered (although it's preferable that it is) because it's not actually flexing, it's just the lock. The small spring steel rod in the butt end of the knife it was actually flexes.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
just bob

Post by just bob »

muskrat man wrote:
just bob wrote:That is nice but I'm very curious as to why you didn't have to heat treat it? When I cut a spring from strip steel it has to be heat treated. Does SS not have to be heat treated? When I need a spring I usually look in the junk box first and try to find something close. Heat treating steel isn't hard but it can go bad on you and the spring snap like a pretzel. It saves time to try and rework an existing spring.
The lockbar on a knife like this western or a buck 110 or schrade lb7 doesn't HAVE to be tempered (although it's preferable that it is) because it's not actually flexing, it's just the lock. The small spring steel rod in the butt end of the knife it was actually flexes.

That makes a lot of sense. I should have considered that. One other question I have is on the drilling of SS. That isn't easy to do. You can go through a lot of drill bits in a hurry. Did you slow the speed down on the drill press or did you use special bits to get all of those holes drilled?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

just bob wrote:
That makes a lot of sense. I should have considered that. One other question I have is on the drilling of SS. That isn't easy to do. You can go through a lot of drill bits in a hurry. Did you slow the speed down on the drill press or did you use special bits to get all of those holes drilled?
Well... to answer that question.... I have a friend who supplies me with drill bits. He has a way of getting drill bits (from a certain business) that fail to meet certain requirements (length, diameter maybe???, I don't know).... I don't look this gift horse in the mouth. Anyway, I will dull a bit and then I make it into a tool like a punch or scribe. These bits are really nice (government) ones too. I have many plastic bags of these bits so dulling a bit isn't a problem. I might use 4 or 5 but that's OK. Yes, and I did slow down the press and used cutting oil to boot.
Back to the bits.... I have some that are tiny diameter and 6 to 8 inches long.....LOL. Hard to use at that length so I usually cut them down shorter.

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
just bob wrote:
Well... to answer that question.... I have a friend who supplies me with drill bits. He has a way of getting drill bits (from a certain business) that fail to meet certain requirements (length, diameter maybe???, I don't know).... I don't look this gift horse in the mouth. Anyway, I will dull a bit and then I make it into a tool like a punch or scribe. These bits are really nice (government) ones too. I have many plastic bags of these bits so dulling a bit isn't a problem. I might use 4 or 5 but that's OK. Yes, and I did slow down the press and used cutting oil to boot.
Back to the bits.... I have some that are tiny diameter and 6 to 8 inches long.....LOL. Hard to use at that length so I usually cut them down shorter.

Mike
Many plastic bags of 6-8” government drill bits!!
What a gig you have going there. That’s a good friend and little return on those tax payment through the years. ::tu::
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Tony_Wood wrote:
Many plastic bags of 6-8” government drill bits!!
What a gig you have going there. That’s a good friend and little return on those tax payment through the years. ::tu::
LOL..... yep.
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”