Colonial Shur Snap questions

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Landersknives

Colonial Shur Snap questions

Post by Landersknives »

Ok my fellow AAPKers, I received the knife in the pictures, in its present state. In other words it came to me in a zip lock bag. I wish that it was left together but it was not. I have never repaired one of these but I would like to think I would be able to do it. All my repair/restore peers please help me out. I believe the push button is broken. Not sure if I can repair it or I may have to find another to replace. Anybody have pictures of the inside assembled? Hints, help, ideas all the above welcome. Also not sure what I will make the new scales out of so suggestions welcome as are ideas. Clarification... the knife was given to me. I will be repairing it for myself. Thanks everyone in advance.
Attachments
E5414094-BD67-4964-AB25-BE2C37F5B9F7.jpeg
4450CDFE-D466-44A6-A83A-C5609F85E1E7.jpeg
0BA0294B-A620-467F-BA3C-744B4DC9D00B.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
just bob

Re: Colonial Shur Snap questions

Post by just bob »

I looked and don't see the patent for this on line. Maybe Kaleb or someone else would have a knife with a broken spring you could buy for a few $ and take it apart and see how it works and make a diagram of how it goes back together? I don't have one right now but have In the past. Best of luck with your project.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

just bob wrote:I looked and don't see the patent for this on line. Maybe Kaleb or someone else would have a knife with a broken spring you could buy for a few $ and take it apart and see how it works and make a diagram of how it goes back together? I don't have one right now but have In the past. Best of luck with your project.
Thanks so much Bob. I appreciate it.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Just in case you're interested. https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ANTIQU ... %7Ciid%3A1

________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Not sure if you can easily tell by this pic. Looks like you will possibly need a new spring, but maybe it's the right size.
presto skeleton 1.jpg
Kaleb or Bill would explain better, but I'll give it a try. In my pic, the gray rectangular slotted piece acts as sort of a spring for the button, held in place at the bottom end, and allowed to float at the top end. The button, if you look at that assembly, has a little groove in the bottom of the bar. That will sit on the little cross piece, and act as a pivot. That button assembly holds the blade closed, and when depressed, allows the blade to spring open.

Hope that helps a little.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

The little flat folded formed piece is a safety that slides up and down in that slotted piece. All the way up, and it engages under the button, keeping the button from being able to be depressed.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Glenn explained it pretty well. It looks like to are in posession of all the parts except a kickspring which isn't a big deal these can be salvaged from old junk knives or I sell ready made replacements. You'll also need to make a blade bushing, these can be turned from brass using a file and a drill (a drill press preferebly)
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”