Fixing Up Shell Handled Knives

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
whitebuffalo58

Fixing Up Shell Handled Knives

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

After collecting shell handled knives for about as long as I can remember, I've accumulated many with damaged skins, as well as various other issues.

This first one I tried masking the bolsters and using a textured paint. It came out alright, but lacked the bling that should be part of the allure of collecting shell handled knives. Also on this one, the tabs had broken off. I found by back filling the shell with epoxy, I could drill out through pin holes and secure the handles with full length pins. However, crowned pins were the only real option.
SANY0005.JPG
This was my first attempt at a swirled paint method. Basically, you float oil paint on top of water, swirl it around and dip whatever your painting into it. I wish now that I had folded the center tab up and atleast semi-plugged the hole, but...
SANY0003.JPG
These last three turned out pretty good. (IMHO) Smooth, nicely colored and wicked swirled patterns. I did shoot a clear gloss finish over all of the above to seal the finish.
SANY0007.JPG
I haven't tried carrying any of these to check longevity, but they are a whole lot more fun to look at then the plain steel shells. You can check YouTube for videos on how to do the swirled paint effect, it's kinda fun. Hope you enjoy.

WB
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Fixing Up Shell Handled Knives

Post by deo-pa »

What a great job WB! You've given new life to those and created some one-of-a-kind knives. Seeing your work gives me new respect for shell-handled knives. I think you have the makings of a business there if you are so inclined.

Dennis
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Rob, you are one clever Hill Rod. Good job buddy. ::tu::

I think there are several on here who don't know Rob and aren't familiar with his skills. He's a genuine renaissance man. He can do anything with nothing at all. My hero.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am impressed !
How do you prevent the paint from coating the inside surface of the liners ? I assume you put tape over bolsters and spine before dipping in paint ?
kj
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

WOWZUH!!!!

Awesome and very creative!!!
Good to see you back on here bud!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

K-Joe, I remove the shells from the knives, mask the individual bolsters and then sandwich them together. You sort of overlap the tabs and tape the pair as close together as you can. The paint wraps around and seals to the edges, but doesn't penetrate much farther. The colors and patterns are endless and everyone will come out different.

Jerry, my grandpa used to use that old saying a lot. "I've been doing so much, with so little, for so long...that now I can do anything with absolutely nothing." BTW, you'll always be much more of a hero then I ever will!! ::nod::

Scott, glad to be able to join in again, I've missed it.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

WB

P.S. and just for the record...no I haven't been in jail for the past couple of years! :D
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Those are very nice. Fantastic job WB. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Nice to see your work on here again, WB!

I love the idea with the paint swirls!
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Mike, Glenn, thank you very much!

WB

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”