Restoration of a Modern English Barlow

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Restoration of a Modern English Barlow

Post by orvet »

Some time ago I found a George Wostenholm IXL Barlow with a sheepfoot blade that needed a little TLC and a new handle. The handle was a cheap plastic handle that looked like it was delaminating and coming apart. The whole thing was a little bit rough so I took it apart, cleaned it up, shined up inside a little bit and put it back together with some nice thick stag. This is made for the guy likes thick stag handles. It does make for a very nice grip on the knife.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.
IXL Custom Stag Barlow c.jpg
IXL Custom Stag Barlow d.jpg
IXL Custom Stag Barlow i.jpg
IXL Custom Stag Barlow f.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Tony_Wood

Re: Restoration of a Modern English Barlow

Post by Tony_Wood »

Nice, Dale. Great work. Do you find a pin spinner difficult to use on stag such as this?
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Beautimous Dale!!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I like the thick stag. Very impressive.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks guys, glad you like it.
Tony_Wood wrote:Nice, Dale. Great work. Do you find a pin spinner difficult to use on stag such as this?
It is not overly difficult, you learn to clear of the bumps out of the way so your spinner can reach the pin.
I pre-spin heads on one end my pins before I install them. So the handle pins are installed and then peened down on the inside of the liner. The tail pin is installed with the head on the mark side (usually) and then I spin the head on the pile side after the knife and put together. I follow the same procedure with the rocker pin. So if all things had gone very well I would’ve have only spun heads on two pens after the knife was assembled.

As often happens, especially with the highly contoured stag, one sometimes needs to go back and spin down the pin from the front side to tighten it up, especially if you have left the pin a little long. You can see the marks on the mark side rocker pin where I had to spin it down after it was installed in the knife.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Wow, that is a nice plump hand full of stag. Turned out really nice! And thanks for the tips on pin spinning stag too.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

While I am not a fan of fat stag in general, you did an amazing job on that one, Dale! Looks like it came out of the factory!
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

orvet wrote:Thanks guys, glad you like it.
Tony_Wood wrote:Nice, Dale. Great work. Do you find a pin spinner difficult to use on stag such as this?
It is not overly difficult, you learn to clear of the bumps out of the way so your spinner can reach the pin.
I pre-spin heads on one end my pins before I install them. So the handle pins are installed and then peened down on the inside of the liner. The tail pin is installed with the head on the mark side (usually) and then I spin the head on the pile side after the knife and put together. I follow the same procedure with the rocker pin. So if all things had gone very well I would’ve have only spun heads on two pens after the knife was assembled.

As often happens, especially with the highly contoured stag, one sometimes needs to go back and spin down the pin from the front side to tighten it up, especially if you have left the pin a little long. You can see the marks on the mark side rocker pin where I had to spin it down after it was installed in the knife.
Thanks for the explanation.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Is that a knife in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ::woot:: Might be just a little too much of a good thing for my taste, but, it's good work
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

glennbad wrote:While I am not a fan of fat stag in
general, you did an amazing job on that one, Dale! Looks like it came out of the factory!
Thank you Glenn and everyone, your critique is always welcome and very helpful. I really appreciate your comments. ::nod::

Over the years I have found there is a substantial fan base for "fat stag", this one was in my store for only 3 or 4 hours when it was purchased.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

ea42

Post by ea42 »

Beautiful job Dale! It's not easy finishing bolsters with that fat stag, yours looks great!

Eric
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Nice Dale!
That is Stagilicious!
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”