My first restoration project, corby vs rivets vs pin& washer?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Rotten

My first restoration project, corby vs rivets vs pin& washer?

Post by Rotten »

So I picked my first restoration project, an old large Schlieper with cracked wooden handles. Overall other than a little rust on the liners and backspring it is in really good shape and has a minimally if ever sharpened convex ground blade.

I was able to get it apart without problems and traced out all the parts for future reference. Planning on cutting out new liners of brass and possibly making a new backspring

While thinking about what to do next I got to researching fish eye pin and washer replacement I came across corby rivets and cutlers rivets. I am leaning towards corby or cutler rivet although this will require opening up the blade pivot hole a tiny bit. This needs to be done anyway because ihe pivot hole has been wallowed out slightly on one side due to a gap between the original liners and the blade.

Will I be running into any problems using corby or cutler rivets? Any opinions on which would be the best solution?
Trace
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My first restoration project, corby vs rivets vs pin& washer?

Post by orvet »

I am not familiar with the knife you are referring you will, but apparently it is a folder.
Perhaps you would be so kind as to post pictures of it. I'm not quite certain one could use Corby rivets on a folder and while I have used cutlery rivets on a folder it was not a standard application. Mostly I've seen Corby's and cutlery rivets used on fixed blade knives. But, it would be nice to see what you had in mind since progress is often made when someone thinks outside the box! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
just bob

Post by just bob »

Are you talking about a sod buster? If so Goldpan had an excellent thread on an overhaul witjh great pics and directions. Where is it?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
just bob

Post by just bob »

“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

orvet wrote:I am not familiar with the knife you are referring you will, but apparently it is a folder.
Perhaps you would be so kind as to post pictures of it. I'm not quite certain one could use Corby rivets on a folder and while I have used cutlery rivets on a folder it was not a standard application. Mostly I've seen Corby's and cutlery rivets used on fixed blade knives. But, it would be nice to see what you had in mind since progress is often made when someone thinks outside the box! ::tu::
I guess it would have helped if I had mentioned it was a sod buster.

I will be ordering some corby extra small rivets and some cutler rivets just to have them in hand prior to any irreversible measures such as drilling the pivot hole out. Then when they're in hand I can better make a decision.

I didn't take any pre tear down pics but once I figure out the picture posting I will add some.
Trace
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Thank you. I had read through that thread and it was educational but I really am not equipped for that. I am not going to rush myself to a sloppy job so if nothing else works out I may just have to wait until I can get my drill press and other larger tools out of storage and moved, but that would also require finding room for them.
Trace
ea42

Post by ea42 »

There are a lot of factors to consider with the corby fasteners, especially in relation to the tang hole size. Will the corby be screwed completely together or will the tang rest on the threads, or even worse partially on the threads? Both of those surfaces are different thicknesses. If the tang hole is smaller than either of those surfaces you'll have to drill the tang bigger. Will it stay screwed together with the spring pressure constantly rubbing the tang against it as you open and close the knife? There's also a lot to grind off the corby to get it flush with the covers, this generates a lot of heat which could burn the covers depending on what material you use.

Eric
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

ea42 wrote:There are a lot of factors to consider with the corby fasteners, especially in relation to the tang hole size. Will the corby be screwed completely together or will the tang rest on the threads, or even worse partially on the threads? Both of those surfaces are different thicknesses. If the tang hole is smaller than either of those surfaces you'll have to drill the tang bigger. Will it stay screwed together with the spring pressure constantly rubbing the tang against it as you open and close the knife? There's also a lot to grind off the corby to get it flush with the covers, this generates a lot of heat which could burn the covers depending on what material you use.

Eric
My thinking was that if the corby couldn't be screwed completely together than it would be out as an option. Hadn't thought about it possibly unscrewing itself with repeated use but I should think a drop of red loctite would take care of that. The tang hole will definitely have to be redrilled as it has become uneven, I'm just not sure how much bigger would be safe. I'm thinking I could enlarge the hole no bigger than 1/3 of the narowest width of the tang. The narrowest width of the tang on this knife is just over 0.5" so I'm thinking that if I keep the tang hole smaller than 0.166" everything should be fine. Am I overthinking this?

A thought about the cutlers rivets just occurred to me. How much more likely would they be to loosen and allow for lateral blade play with extended use? Since they are only a friction fit I would think this would be a greater risk than a loctited corby.
Trace
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

I would just utilize the originals washers and peen a pin out as was standard procedure on knives like this. I see no reason to create a new spring and liners either unless the originals are damaged beyond repair? ::shrug::
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

muskrat man wrote:I would just utilize the originals washers and peen a pin out as was standard procedure on knives like this. I see no reason to create a new spring and liners either unless the originals are damaged beyond repair? ::shrug::
The original washers are very thin and I fear they might not survive the shaping of the new handle material. The good news is that my friend has the material and equipment to make new thicker washers. So I will most likely go back with the original pin and washer style. Making a new spring would be a t the least a practice exercise to learn the skill. As to the liners they are in decent shape and could be cleaned relatively easy but while I'm at this project I might as well upgrade to new liners and as with the spring learn a new skill.
Trace

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”