Imperial Barlow rebuild/customizing

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Imperial Barlow rebuild/customizing

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I was finally able to finish up this Imperial Barlow that I have had apart for a while. When I got it , it only had one of the shell handles remaining and a fair amount of rust on it. I basically used the blades and the springs from the original knife. It was a shell handle knife with steel liners.
IMG_1883.JPG
IMG_1884.JPG
I tossed the handles and liners and made new liners from .032" brass. New bolsters were made from 1/8" nickel silver stock and were silver soldered onto the new brass liners. Before I silver solder these together, I drill a small hole from the liner side halfway into the bolster to fill up with solder and make a "post". I wanted a different look for the bolsters, so I tried a "faceted" design which I made using the file jig that I use to make replacement blades. Very precise angles can be made and duplicated with this jig. The big problem came when I was trying to decide how to pin the pivot end. I did not want to use the traditional riveted and filed pin method because I did not want to mess up the "facets" with filing which would have ruined the angles and lines which I had tried hard to get with the file jig. Thanks to you guys who had comments on the thread on rivet spinning, and the pictures recently on workman knives and how some of them use a domed pin. I read over that section carefully and decided to try it. I have had a Jantz rivet spinner for some time but had never used it. I chucked the spinner into my old Rockwell drill press running at 1294 rpm, and put a drop of Re-Li-On cutting and tapping fluid onto the pin head.
IMG_1923.JPG
It took a couple of tries to get the pressure thing right and when the cutting oil put up a puff of smoke, it was done. This was done before putting the pin into the knife so I could hold the pin in the drill press vise. The pin was then installed into the knife and cut to length and filed flat. I started the edges rolling over with the hammer and then using a punch
IMG_1925.JPG
and anvil made from two 1/4" setscrews, one underneath as a seat, and the top one to hammer on to get the edges to turn into a dome shape. Picture shows the setup with the slacker in place.
IMG_1932.JPG
I did not use the rivet spinner on the backside because it would have touched the bolster and left a nasty mark which would have been impossible to remove. Anyway, it seems to have worked. The front dome on the pin is the nicest one, the back one is not quite as good, but acceptable. The rehandle was done in elk stag. The bolsters I made are actually a little longer than the originals to kind of exaggerate the already longer bolsters on the Barlow. Now it is done and in MY pocket.
IMG_1929.JPG
IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1948.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Tony_Wood

Re: Imperial Barlow rebuild/customizing

Post by Tony_Wood »

Been watching for this post.
Beautiful work. Thanks for taking the time to post in process pics.
Keeps me motivated seeing others handiwork.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Tony_Wood wrote:Been watching for this post.
Beautiful work. Thanks for taking the time to post in process pics.
Keeps me motivated seeing others handiwork.
I have learned a lot of how-to-do items since I joined AAPK and am trying them on some of my projects. A lot of knife rebuilding is not that difficult, but you have to pay attention to small details that are important. Hopefully others can pick up and use the information in the posts here on AAPK.
garyflorida

Post by garyflorida »

I like the new bolster design and the domed pin.... unique and interesting. Thanks for the time to show. What metal are the bolsters made from please?
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Wow, that's a real nice job you did. You definitely have the skill needed to make and repair. That turned out very well. So much so that I've picked out the slogan for your business: Olde Cutler's Knives-"If I can't make it, You don't need it". ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

garyflorida wrote:I like the new bolster design and the domed pin.... unique and interesting. Thanks for the time to show. What metal are the bolsters made from please?
The bolsters are cut from 1/8" nickel silver. With that and the 3 layers of .032" brass for the liners and center divider, it is quite a heavy knife.
Thanks to all for your comments.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

You are doing some great work. Nice knife! ::tu::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Very nice, I love facets ::tu::
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Really nicely crafted .... Love it! ::tu::
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Thanks for all your comments. Actually I was expecting to get some (or a lot) of criticism and abuse for wasting so much time and effort on an Imperial shell handle knife. Like they always say, "Even if you put the pig in a tuxedo, he is still a pig!"
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Very Nice OC, ::tu:: Least Wise You'll Know It Went in Your Pocket , And Not Down Your Pant LEG !! :lol: KC
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:Thanks for all your comments. Actually I was expecting to get some (or a lot) of criticism and abuse for wasting so much time and effort on an Imperial shell handle knife. Like they always say, "Even if you put the pig in a tuxedo, he is still a pig!"
Nice!

You know, I used to thumb my nose at working on shell Imperials, but after doing quite a few, I find them to be a lot of fun to work with, and you can't beat the steel in the blades!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I find shell handle knives fascinating! The first full customization/rebuild that I did 12 years ago was a shell handle Colonial fish knife. I have done a number of shell handle conversions over the years, mostly on Imperials because they probably have the best steel of any inexpensive knife, especially from the 1930s through 1960s. The whole concept of the shell handle and being able to produce a knife for a fraction of the cost was absolutely brilliant, especially putting that into production during the Great Depression!

You might get flack about a shell handle Imperial from people who only collect knives, it’s unlikely you will ever get flack from someone who has carried one and used it. The quality of steel speaks for itself! Even with the handles gone, as long as they are rusted solid, the shell handle knife is usable.

Nice work! I’m with Kaleb, I love faceted bolsters on Barlows!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Very Knice!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm going to have to disagree with you. It is no longer an Imperial but a genuine "OLDE CUTLER" with quality Imperial blades. Good job. Sit Ubu, sit.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

orvet wrote:I find shell handle knives fascinating! The first full customization/rebuild that I did 12 years ago was a shell handle Colonial fish knife. I have done a number of shell handle conversions over the years, mostly on Imperials because they probably have the best steel of any inexpensive knife, especially from the 1930s through 1960s. The whole concept of the shell handle and being able to produce a knife for a fraction of the cost was absolutely brilliant, especially putting that into production during the Great Depression!

You might get flack about a shell handle Imperial from people who only collect knives, it’s unlikely you will ever get flack from someone who has carried one and used it. The quality of steel speaks for itself! Even with the handles gone, as long as they are rusted solid, the shell handle knife is usable.

Nice work! I’m with Kaleb, I love faceted bolsters on Barlows!
The Barlow was the 4th shell handle "conversion" I have done. Some others:
Hammer Brand cattle knife in brass and ironwood
IMG_1708.JPG
Imperial Kamp King in brass and Kirinite Patriot
IMG_1691.JPG
Imperial stockman in brass and aromatic cedar
IMG_1951.JPG

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”