How Do You Organize Your Pin Stock?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

How Do You Organize Your Pin Stock?

Post by Jeffinn »

Seems like I'm acquiring more and more pin stock in various sizes. I need a simple way to keep the sizes all organized. I've got some cardboard tubes taped together for now but I'm looking for a better solution.
How are you guys keeping your pin stock organized?
Thanks.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: How Do You Organize Your Pin Stock?

Post by glennbad »

I use several of those little plastic parts containers, the ones that have the removable dividers. I keep the NS separate from the stainless.

I keep them taped together by size.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

This is my solution. I have some plastic tackle box type boxes that I use for shorter pieces.
20171220_192957.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

The worst problem with pinstock is getting the size you are looking for without having to use the digital or drill gauge to check it. I put masking tape "flags" on each full length piece with the size written on and keep the full uncut pieces in one area of a tool box. In another area of the tool box I have the "working " pieces that I cut from, cutting from the end opposite the "flag" until its gone. What do you guys do when you need pinstock of .082" to .089" range? Can't buy anything that size. Drilling the holes to 3/32" is an option, but spring steel is often too hard to do that successfully.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:The worst problem with pinstock is getting the size you are looking for without having to use the digital or drill gauge to check it. I put masking tape "flags" on each full length piece with the size written on and keep the full uncut pieces in one area of a tool box. In another area of the tool box I have the "working " pieces that I cut from, cutting from the end opposite the "flag" until its gone. What do you guys do when you need pinstock of .082" to .089" range? Can't buy anything that size. Drilling the holes to 3/32" is an option, but spring steel is often too hard to do that successfully.
I have re-drilled a few knives to accept the pin stock that I have, but I agree with you, it's a pain in the rear and less than ideal!
And I've tried turning down pin stock with my drill press, it can be done of course, but again, it's kinda a pain in the butt. Seems like every knife I have apart right now needs pin stock in a size I don't have. I'm going to place a few more orders this week and see if I can get to a happy medium with pin stock sizes.
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Best option I have found Plano model 3701. Holds 12" pieces of pin stock with ease. I label each tray with the size, the rule is when I can see the sticker it's time to order. Easy to keep things organized this way. I still have oddball stuff individually labeled in a cigar box but generally if I run into something weird I just turn down a pin to fit and don't stock a bunch of off the wall sizes. 1/16", 1.8mm, 2mm, 3/32" and 1/8" will cover most jobs.

I also keep a book with the item, item number, place of purchase, last known price etc. makes it easy to re-order later when supply runs low.
Attachments
002.JPG
003.JPG
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:The worst problem with pinstock is getting the size you are looking for without having to use the digital or drill gauge to check it. I put masking tape "flags" on each full length piece with the size written on and keep the full uncut pieces in one area of a tool box. In another area of the tool box I have the "working " pieces that I cut from, cutting from the end opposite the "flag" until its gone. What do you guys do when you need pinstock of .082" to .089" range? Can't buy anything that size. Drilling the holes to 3/32" is an option, but spring steel is often too hard to do that successfully.

If a hole must be enlarged in tempered steel carbide is the only way to go. ::tu::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

When I read Jeff’s first post I was thinking of the 12 inch long pieces of pin stock. Here is the picture of my storage for the 12 inch pin stock, turned the right way. I also buy some sizes from Ace Hardware in 3 foot lengths. I usually cut those into 12 inch lengths and store them here also.
Pin Stock.jpg
Old Cutler mentioned that he has trouble finding 0.082” pin stock. I buy K & S Metals brass pin stock in 0.081”. It comes in a package of three 12” pieces with the stock number of #8168.
Several months ago Wallace Rockwell, formerly of Camillus Cutlery, sold a bunch of 0.082” nickel silver wire. It was the same wire that Camillus used to make pins for their knives. I think he sold it in 25 foot rolls. You have to straighten it out but it’s a whole lot easier straighten out a piece of wire than cut a piece down on the drill press. I don’t remember what the price was that it was really very reasonable. I had tried purchasing brass and nickel silver wire from jewelry wholesalers before but even the hardest wire they had was too soft for use as knife pins. So I was very happy to get a roll of 0.082” nickel silver wire from Wallace. I don’t know if he has any more for sale.

I have two tackle trays full of manufactured pins, one of nickel silver pins and one of brass pins. Many of these were purchased on eBay at the price of $7.99 for a bag of 50 pins. As you can tell there are many dollars in each of these trays, but it’s sure nice to pick up a pen that fits perfectly and not have to make a pin.
Schrade & Camillus manufactured pins.jpg
nickel silver pins.jpg
These little four-part plastic boxes are full of various sizes of pins I have premade by cutting them to length and spinning a head on one end.
pre-spun brass pins.jpg
These two boxes contain semitubular pins like those used by Schrade and Camillus to install Delrin handles that had predrilled holes. The small end of this pin is hollow and is very easy to peen down without leaving a lot of the material inside on the liner. Unfortunately, they don’t work really well with bone handles unless you drill a hole to recess the head of the semitubular pin inside the bone handle. Occasionally I find a use for these, but not often. They are valuable for repairing a knife with a loose Delrin handle.
semi-tubular pins and.jpg

I have other odds and ends of knife pins, but this is the majority of what I use.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Lotta useful info for fledgling mechanics here, commenting to make it easier to find. Good topic
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

There are still a lot of knife pins on eBay of various sizes supposedly from the closing of Schrade & Camillus. I think most of the sellers who would give an accurate measurement of their pins are sold out, the rest give no measurements or worse yet wrong measurements.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

I had some stuff in the garage so I decided to make a quick organizer for my pin stock. Some 1" pvc pipe cut into 8" lengths, a piece of poplar wood and some epoxy and I'm organized for now. The blue tape is temporary until I can get around to determining the American standard sizes of the stock (as opposed to the metric measurements).
IMG_0519.JPG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I love the PVC pin stock holder Jeff, way to make use of the stuff you have around the shop! ::tu:: ::tu::

The reason I used copper pipe is because I had it laying around the shop. My neighbor was going to throw it away so I recycled it along with half a sheet of finished plywood and several other items. My neighbor doesn't keep things he has left over for use later on some other project; he tosses the scrap and buys new material for the next project. ::shrug::
But he is very generous to allow me to take his scraps. :lol:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

I like to re-use things whenever possible. It saves me a few dollars and a trip to the hardware store. It's nice that your neighbor allows you to re-purpose his scrap. You can give something a second life and keep a few items out of the landfill!
Jeff
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Jeffinn wrote:I had some stuff in the garage so I decided to make a quick organizer for my pin stock. Some 1" pvc pipe cut into 8" lengths, a piece of poplar wood and some epoxy and I'm organized for now. The blue tape is temporary until I can get around to determining the American standard sizes of the stock (as opposed to the metric measurements).
IMG_0519.JPG
I used a set up like that for years, works great ::tu::

I only switched to the boxes a year (or two?) ago
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:Lotta useful info for fledgling mechanics here, commenting to make it easier to find. Good topic
Right you are. I think it's great that you experienced knife repairmen are giving us tips. We are learning from the best.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

This isn't remotely as good as you guys...but I had an "ahh ha" moment, on my morning jog. I've just had my pin stock loose, in the Jantz cardboard box. I have had an old heat sealer and 2 inch nylon sterilization tubing...from my old practice. From the old days, when we would make our own sterilization bags...the nylon is somewhat resistant to puncture. I know this solution is not cost effective, or near as good as other solutions...but; I'm feeling pretty good about getting all these pieces sorted out, this morning. Maybe I've been in social isolation a bit too long ::shrug::
pinstock.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

As long as it works for you that’s all that matters!
I’ve switched over to plastic snap lid compartment trays like the ones used in fisherman’s tackle bags. Three or four trays will hold most of my pin stock in 10”- 12”lengths.
And of course I have a lot of the pre-peened pin stock available that I like to use whenever possible.
Jeff
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

After seeing what the other guys had, I made some storage from an old 2x4 and some 1/2" PVC pipe.
It took me a while to settle on which sizes I need to stock, so I need to make a new one with separate compartments for the metric sizes.
Attachments
257017C4-AD0F-4600-BA43-E3303214EBAF.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

My storage container looks a lot like yours Reverand. Only mine doesn't have the sizes written on the tubes. I probably need to be better organized but I just usually match sizes and move on. If I need a size in between 2 I have on hand, I take a larger size and thin it down to size.
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Reverand wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:21 pm After seeing what the other guys had, I made some storage from an old 2x4 and some 1/2" PVC pipe.
It took me a while to settle on which sizes I need to stock, so I need to make a new one with separate compartments for the metric sizes.
If I ever get a real work space...where I don't have to carry my stuff out (and back in) to the porch...I'd like a set-up like that! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”