Imperial Ireland Single Blade

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Imperial Ireland Single Blade

Post by Jeffinn »

Another one of the knives that was in a group purchased from E-Bay. I was kinda surprised at how cheaply this knife was made. It had the hollow scale/bolster design that I've come to hate. I originally was going to use some spalted tamarind wood for the handles but the wood seemed softer that what I was looking for so I dug out some black Kirinite and used that instead.
Nothing outstanding in the disassembly;
IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
I cleaned and flattened the liners out as I was no longer going to need the raised tabs and cutouts for the hollow handles. Polished the backspring and reassembled with some black Kirinite scales with red accent stripes.
I ended up with a small crack at one of the pin holes.I used a technique where you put super glue into the crack and then sprinkle it with baking soda. The baking soda causes a chemical reaction and instantly sets the super glue. I was able to sand and polish it within seconds. I saw the technique online in a video.

Here it is all polished and ready for the shelf;
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0356.JPG
Thanks for looking.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Imperial Ireland Single Blade

Post by Quick Steel »

What a great transformation. And interesting info on the glue and baking soda. ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

A noted improvement!
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

good looking knife, and thanks for tip with the super glue
It's not what you look at that matter's , it's what you see.
HDT
familyforge

Post by familyforge »

Nice work Jeff! I have some scale replacements I'd like to try now and again. Could you give me some tips on the basic tools I would need? Or what books would be helpful in describing the tools needed for pocket knife repair/rescaling? Thanks, Jess
When you're the hammer; strike. Anvil; bear.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Jeffinn wrote:Another one of the knives that was in a group purchased from E-Bay. I was kinda surprised at how cheaply this knife was made. It had the hollow scale/bolster design that I've come to hate.

Jeff, how could you disparage my beloved shell handle design? ::mdm::

I agree they look cheap, and they are inexpensive to manufacturer but Imperial did something right; they used good steel! They also constructed the shell handle so that even if the handles fell off of the knife a person could still keep the inside liners and blade and have a functional knife. The fact that they endured and were manufactured until 2004 is a testimony to their market appeal. The fact that you still find tens of thousands of these at flea markets around the country as a testimony to how well-made they were, in spite of being cheap. ::nod::

The sheer genius of the shell handle design and the timing of introducing it during the depression was kind of a perfect storm. I believe it kept Imperial solvent through the depression until they received government contracts in World War II.

All that being said, I still enjoy turning them into "real knives" was solid bolsters, and you did an outstanding job on this one! I am usually not a huge fan of Kirinite but the clean, shiny black, high polished look on your knife is beyond my expectations of Kirinite!
Well executed Sir! ::clapping::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Great job ::tu:: I wish i had the talent to be able to refurbish old pocket knives. I should be able to, i used to be very good with my hands and making things, but find this exercise very daunting. But you have done brilliant work.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

:shock: ::woot::
Man alive! Now I really want to get to work on all my Imperials that need fixing up. I guess I will order pin stock and scales for them, and try it out. I am thinking something in pine cone acrylic, or about that. But first I need to finish working on 14 more Imperials that are in line before them. Finished the first one and it turned out exactly how I wanted. Knife fixin' is sure fun!
Good stuff Jeff ::tu:: ::nod::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Great job Jeff. Big design improvement and a HUGE cosmetic improvement!

She is a beauty!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Looks really sweet!
I would have taken the long route and made bolsters, but it would not have looked as good as what you have made. Good job!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Looks fantastic. I think Schrade Ireland steel is very good quality. You made a good choice of a knife to fix. It’s worth more now than it was before, even in pristine condition.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

familyforge wrote:Nice work Jeff! I have some scale replacements I'd like to try now and again. Could you give me some tips on the basic tools I would need? Or what books would be helpful in describing the tools needed for pocket knife repair/rescaling? Thanks, Jess
Hey Jess!
I’m not sure why this post resurfaced, I did this work awhile ago.
To answer your questions, I don’t have a book recommendation for you. There are a few out there but they're dated and basic. You can learn to customize knifes by working on a few of your own. Basic tools include a belt sander, some files, some hammers and some basic hand tools. The guys here have helped me tremendously as I’ve modified a wide variety
of knives.
You should read through a lot of the post in the knife
Repair and restoration forum to get an idea of what’s involved. And feel free to ask questions as you’re working on knives. There’s a wealth of information here and these folks are all willing to share their knowledge! Let me know if I can help you out!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

They call that handle material "Black Lava Kirinite" and I find it quite attractive. Good job.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

jerryd6818 wrote:They call that handle material "Black Lava Kirinite" and I find it quite attractive. Good job.
Thank you sir.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Jeffinn wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:They call that handle material "Black Lava Kirinite" and I find it quite attractive. Good job.
Thank you sir.
Please. You don't have to call me sir. I was enlisted.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

LOL!
Well then I’ll have to find another title for you! My father was an old school character who taught me that all interactions with people required a handshake (and I still greet everyone with a handshake), and a respectful title (mr. mrs. sir, or mam). Now I know this is all woefully old fashioned in this day and age but I still do it.
You seem like a character that’s deserving of some respect so I feel obliged to refer to you as Sir (even though you’re an enlisted guy)!
If not Sir then what, Mr. J?
Regards,
Jeff

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”