Questions on Hunting Folder Restoration Approach

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
evh

Questions on Hunting Folder Restoration Approach

Post by evh »

This is a KA-BAR 1083 folder with wooden scales. I would like to restore in the best I can. I have searched the forums and watched some videos and here are my questions and approach.

1. I think I should clean it first and I have seen people using warm soapy water. I am concerned about doing that with wooden scales. I was thinking about using WD-40 as a cleaner, but have the same concern about the wooden scales. Thoughts?
2. I would likely use Brasso on the bolsters and back spine to remove the aging and patina. Concerns?
3. I am not sure what to do with the wooden scales. Note they are two different colors. My guess is the darker color is from sitting in some type of moisture. I saw someone use linseed oil. Do I do anything first before I apply it? Other options?
4. I would like to clean up the blade. As you can see it looks like it has been sharpened poorly and has scratches. Would starting with 600 grit sandpaper and moving up in grit do the trick with finally using some type of polish help?
5. Finally I would sharpen and oil.
6. On the leather sheath I would just you some Mequires leather cleaner conditioner I have for the seat in my car.

Any feedback from the experts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Photo Nov 18, 2 22 24 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 18, 2 22 34 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 18, 2 22 47 PM.jpg
KleenCut61

Re: Questions on Hunting Folder Restoration Approach

Post by KleenCut61 »

evh ::welcome::To AAPK< Your Knife looks to be in Fairly Good Condition.Extra Fine Steel Wool(0000) does Wonders For Brass , Yours Has A light Patina on it , Nothing Severe! Avoid Oil & Contaminates on The Wooden Scales ( Handles ) By Running A Painters Tape around the Knife ,Any Contaminates like Oil , Brasso , Will Have to be cleaned off Quickly , Without a Cleaning agent you Will Damage the Scales , The Blade can be sanded , But !! Avoid Garnet Paper ( Wood ) Use Automotive Wet /Dry Paper Aluminium Oxide, I Believe In Varring Grits(600-1200) To Achieve a Cleener Edge , Most Importantly is Sanding on a Solid Flat steel surface @ a 90% Angle to Blade..Such as a Bench Block.. The Linseed would make a Decent Finish , As in Very last application done on Knife , Any Questions Just Ask .. Joe
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

:D Bench Block evh Solid Steel about 3 inches square Or Similar item can be Used.. For that professional look.. Joe
Attachments
100_1634.JPG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

What KC 61 said will work fine on your knife and I’m sure you would be pleased with the results, however there are other methods and other materials that that I prefer to use. I will try to go through your points #1 through #6 and give you my methods and my reasoning for them.

#1 – Warm soapy water using Dawn dishwashing liquid is a great way to clean a knife. I would add to that old toothbrush or grout cleaning brush to scrub down in the blade pocket. After that I would rinse the knife in hot tap water. The heat will accelerate the drying process, but I would not soak wooden handles in water. WD-40 was made as a water displacement chemical. It is not primarily a cleaner or a lubricant. And since there is too much risk of getting the WD-40 into the wood my choice for water removal and cleaning would be 91% to 99% isopropyl alcohol. I know Kroger’s pharmacy carries 99% isopropyl alcohol, I think it’s about two dollars a pint. Not only is it very effective it’s an expensive. I like to use a syringe or an eyedropper to squirt the alcohol into the blade pocket and the joints. And I will even squirt some under the handles if I see dirt there and see them a little bit loose. Alcohol is not an oil-based product so it leaves no oily film and it is also a catalyst that will break down the chemical bonds between the oil in the water in the knife and help evaporate both oil and water.

#2 – Brasso works good on brass but I would try to avoid getting it on the wood. I would probably do the heavy cleaning of the brass even before cleaning the inside of the knife. That way you don’t have to use a lot of Brasso to take what little tarnish the soap will leave on the brass and the little bit of Brasso that you get on the wood will come off when you wash the knife.

#3 – The difference in the color of the wooden scales is probably not significant. Unless it is obvious that one of them has been discolored by an outside agent then the difference may simply be a difference in the color of wood that was installed on the knife at the factory. I am typically not a fan of using linseed oil on any wooden product I’m going to have my hands on. Linseed oil tends to have a very strong smell and it tends to remain tacky and never drying completely which is why it makes such a good word preservative. I don’t like the tackiness of linseed oil on my hands nor its tendency to collect dirt so I opted for a finish that will give me a fully dry finish. If you wish to use an oil finish, I would recommend Formby’s Tung oil finish. Typically I rub a very light coat on with my fingers and allow it to dry completely before adding another coat.

#4 – I assume you do not have a buffer or buffing compound to use on the blade therefore your option to try and clean up the blade with sandpaper? My first choice would be with ScotchBrite wheels then various abrasive rouges in stages to polish the blade. I understand if you don’t have a buffer then sandpaper is a decent method. I often use sandpaper on a flat surface both for steel and for other materials. The flat surface I use is a finished side of a piece of micarta. I have a bar of micarta that is about 1.5” wide X 2.5” tall X 12” long. I clamp that in my vice and use the finished 1.5” finished surface along one side as the backer for my sandpaper. I clamp 1.5” inch strips of wet or dry sandpaper along the top of the bar and that gives a good flat surface for sanding and since the steel is harder than the micarta if you happen to slip and bang the blade into the micarta sanding block it will not ding the blade like a steel backing plate will.

On the other flat side of the micarta bar I have glued a strip of heavy leather approx 3/16” thick. This is where I would do most of my cleanup of your blade. If your sandpaper is backed by nothing but a hard surface you’re going to have very few points of contact. This is fine if your desire is to make that blade perfectly flat, but you are going to go through a lot of sandpaper and little lots and lots of time. By having the leather backing on the side of the sanding block the blade will sink into the leather a little ways and you will have much better contact between the blade and the abrasive, very much like a buffing wheel. It will get your blade cleaned up far quicker than using a flat hard backer. Also that blade was probably hollow ground from the looks of it so you will not be able to send the curved lower portions of the blade with a hard surface backer.
To start with on this I would probably use a rubber bar as the backer for my sandpaper. They make them for use in the automotive industry with wet or dry sandpaper. Since they are rubber though water or oil does not affect the backer and they are stiff enough to do a good job of making the abrasive cut. The brand I have is called Dura Block, although I can’t find the full name because I have cut and the blocks up into smaller pieces to reach special and unusually shaped areas. You can buy these Dura Blocks in several different sizes and shapes round, a rectangular bar, flat bars and even shaped bars to use as backers for your sandpaper. They are used in the autobody industry for sanding small areas around contours or chrome pieces.
https://www.autobodytoolmart.com//dura- ... 20Products

As far as your starting grit of sandpaper, I began with the finest abrasive that will remove the marks. Remember every piece of sandpaper you use is going to make its own marks on the blade so the finer you start the better, as long as it is getting out the scratches in the blade.
Personally I would probably start at 1000 grit first. I use a piece of Dura Block as the backer for my sandpaper and I use a light oil on the sandpaper to help it cut faster. 3 in 1 Oil would be a good oil to use for sanding although if you can find a light weight cutting oil that would work even better.

If the 1000 grit is working well then just continue on up the line; 1200 grit, 1500 grit and then 2000 grit and you have worked through most of the common grits that are readily available in wet or dry sandpaper. If the 1000 grit is not aggressive enough I go down to 600 or 800 grit.

Now you mentioned polishing the blade. 2000 grit will be for from a polished blade but Jantz Supply carries 3M polishing paper which is a different type of abrasive it doesn’t cut like silicon carbide does. It has a much finer scratch pattern. It comes in the following grits: 400, 600, 1200, 4000, 6000 & 8000. If you really want to put a polish on that blade I began using 3M polishing paper after I had worked through all of the wet or dry sandpaper up to 2000 grit.
With the polishing paper I go back down in grit to 400, then 600 and then 1200 grit. This is to remove some of the scratches left by the 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper that will be much deeper than the scratches even made by the 400 grit polishing paper. This is the process I use even on sanding brass or bone. If you will then still using the Dura Block as a backer for the polishing paper I work through all six grits of the 3M’s polishing paper and by the time you get to 8000 grit, it if you have done it properly you will have nearly a mirror finish on the blade. You might even think it’s a mirror finish but 30 seconds on my buffer will convince you that you were wrong. But this method is effective and it will give you a NEAR MIRROR POLISH finish. It is however very labor-intensive and very time-consuming.

#5 – To sharpen and oil the knife –
Assuming you don’t have a method of sharpening you can go back to that block of micarta and using the smooth side and strips of wet or dry sandpaper you can sharpen the blade. Just be sure that you sharpen away from the cutting edge and not into it or you will slice through the sandpaper. I would probably start at about 220 grit if the edge is not too bad. If the edges really bad I might go down as low as 120 grit wet or dry paper and I will definitely sharpen the blade using oil. A light cutting oil would be best but a light machine oil like 3 and 1 Oil is also adequate. I have sharpened commercially for years using 150 grit sanding belt but the result of a 150 grit powered sanding belt is much finer than 220 grit hand sanding. Look at the results that you get, it depends on what suits you best, you may want to go is fine is 400 grit, but that call is up to you.

The only knife oil that I recommend is Quick Release Oil simply because it works far better than any other oil I’ve ever used on knives. In just applying Quick Release Oil to an old knife, even before cleaning, I have seen snap return to a once lifeless blade. You can order Quick Release Oil from the Latama website. https://latama.net/pages/quick-release-oil

#6 – I think the Maguires leather treatment would be fine on your sheath, You might do a couple of coats if it’s really dry.

I think that’s the majority of your questions. If you have any more be free to post them.

Oh, I forgot #7 - WELCOME TO AAPK! ::welcome::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I don't think there is any more info on that topic... ::tu::
Attachments
sign-next.png
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I think you missed the point Ken, that is only one of several ways of cleaning up that knife.
I have only been repairing knives for 10 or 12 years plus about 10 years of managing a cutlery store, doing sharpening and minor repairs.
It is seriously a bad day in my shop it I do not learn something new related to knives.
There is so much to learn about knives & knife repair, I view myself as an advanced beginner.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

espn77

Post by espn77 »

I like that Dale, "advanced beginner " except that puts me into the "below average beginner " category
americanedgetech

Sir, I did indeed get your point.
There are as many methods to achieving a goal as there are people attempting to try

When someone takes the time to both point out proven methods, AND explain why some methods may not work as well, I think anyone asking now has enough information to reach their goal.
You do post some epic posts Mr. Dale. ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

americanedgetech wrote:I don't think there is any more info on that topic... ::tu::
I was not going to reply to this post.Then I noticed it was the first post from a newcomer to the site and Dale put himself out to explain things.
Yes I have read topic like this before,but Dale made this person welcome by putting the effort in on his post hoping it would answer the questions asked.
As a member I hope Dale is around a long time to answer the question no matter how short or long the answer is.
At least Dale post have information to help.

Grant
( This post has no information just respect )
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
evh

Post by evh »

All, thank you for the feedback very very helpful. So here is what I have done so far. Because of the wood scales, I really don't want to do do anything with water. I decided to start with the brass and non blade metal. I taped off the blade and all wood very good with blue painter's tape. I have 0000 steel wool and decided to use that. It worked very well on the bolsters and spine. I also used it on the internal metal (not sure the official name of that - the crotch??) and it worked very good. See my attached pictures below. I then taped off everything but the blade. I have 400 grit auto sandpaper (the black wet/dry stuff) and decided to start with that. I was concerned it was a bit harsh but if you look at my first pictures, there were some pretty harsh gouges in the blade from what i would guess was a dremel tool. So I cut small 2" x 2" squares from the sandpaper, put a towel on my lap and proceeded to rub. Took me about 3+ hours to get where you see it below. I think I got most of the gouges out.

My next step is to go to the auto parts store and get 800/1200/1500/2000 etc sandpaper and continue to rub until I get shine. Next lube the joint and get it clean. My question is what would you do with wood scales - if anything? Any idea what type of wood that is? I am sure it is sealed somehow.
Attachments
Photo Nov 19, 6 22 43 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 19, 6 23 08 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 19, 6 23 18 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 19, 6 23 31 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 19, 6 23 37 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 19, 6 23 40 PM.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

If the wood is natural wood, treat it like furniture.
If it is a stabilized or resin impregnated wood there is really very little you can do to maintain it.

For natural wood I usually just buff on a coat of Carnauba wax. I prefer Carnauba wax in a hard block that I put on with my buffer, however many of my friends use Mother's carnauba wax. I think it is made for cars. Both will it do essentially the same thing.

If it is natural wood and has been dried out a little bit I would recommend Howard's Feed-N-Wax.
It has oils and waxes that will help renew the natural wood.
I suspect however that the handle of your K-Bar is probably made from a wood that has had some sort of stabilizing resin applied to it in a vacuum chamber.
It is probably made from some species of rosewood.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

americanedgetech

How about Murphy's oil soap?
I've used that for years to remove grime from wood.

It won't do anything to change the finish but it will strip all the grime/gunk out of the finish so that you have a clean slate (so to speak) to start from or to better evaluate what to do next.

Other than that the other option is to sand it down w/ 600/1200/2000, and buff it back w/ wax.

Mr. Grant, Sir I meant nothing but respect in that post.
Mr. dale put a LOT of helpful information forward, and I was attempting to acknowledge that. ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

evh

Post by evh »

What a great forum, thanks for the quick answers. I think I will try a damp cloth with some Murphys and water and dry it quickly and see how it looks and how much grime comes off.

The last activity will be sharpening it. Here is what I plan to do. Note, I am fairly new to knives so put me down as a pre-beginner (if that). But I do have one of those old Norton’s 3 oil stones (quite large) and a SpyderCo sharpener. The knife is quite dull so I plan to use the Norton’s and then go to the SpyderCo and finally a leather strop I am asking Santa for.

Some interesting history – When I was in high school in the late 70’s, I worked at a small butcher shop/liquor store for about 6 years to get me through high school and part of college. In back they had this Norton’s 3-Stone sharpener that I always liked. The guy that owned it was a retired guy that was friends of the owner and would come in to help cut meat once in a while. So how to get it…. Well, I married his granddaughter. He passed away and it went to my father-in-law. Sadly, he passed a year ago and you guessed it, it is now at my house.

Anyhow, that is where I am at. I will post some pictures of the blade in a few days once I am done with all the sanding.

Again, if you have any additional tips, keep them coming.
americanedgetech

Aside from your loss of friends, and family that is a great story on the history of your stones.

One thing that might make your sanding/polishing easier is to follow one direction with the paper. When you cross scratch/hatch patterns you are actually digging in further because the cross scratches are meeting less resistance due to the valleys the opposing pattern has left.
It's not a big deal but every minute of manual labor saved is a minute to be spent on better things

From the progress so far, I can see that knife looking as good as new in no time.

(from one pre-school mechanic to another) :lol:
Ken Mc.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Warm water and dish soap will not hurt the wood handles on that knife.
After cleaning dry with compressed air.
I then let lemon oil soak into the wood. You can use other types of oil as has been mentioned.
Next use I use Ran Wax. The wood handles will be beautiful.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
evh

Post by evh »

I'm not sure what "Ran Wax" is???
evh

Post by evh »

Renaissance Wax?
americanedgetech

I've been wondering ever since I saw you ask.
::shrug::
I think pure Canuba wax is the real answer no matter what the brand.
Canuba is the hardest finishing wax that I know of, and that goes back about 35 years of me using it on boats. If canuba can take direct exposure to salt, sun, water, and actually last for a year or more on a boat... a pocket knife is little challenge.
Ken Mc.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Renaissance wax is a product, if I recall the advertisements, that was developed for use in museums in Great Britain. It's very expensive and while I am sure it does add a certain amount of moisture.and protection to the wood I don't use it anymore.

Personally I prefer or Walker Wax (you can find it on eBay). It actually has an extremely mild abrasive in it and will do a little bit towards polishing and will remove fingerprints. The big selling point to me is the fact that it prevents spittle spotting when you have your knives on display at a show.
When you have your names displayed on the table for a day or two with people talking back and forth across the table it is inevitable that a little bit of spittle lands on the knives spotting the blades and sometimes the handles. Walker Wax is the only product I know that prevents that.
I also like the feel that it gives the blade and the handles. I usually use it to polish the inside of knives that I customize as I think is slows the tarnish. While it is not cheap, it is less expensive than Ren Wax.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

evh

Post by evh »

I thought I would post a interim picture of where I am at. As you have all provided ideas and I have searched this forum and the web I have found there is not just one way to recondition a knife. The picture below is where I am at. The metal on the knife is mostly done. I received the Flitz that I ordered and spent quite a while polishing all of the metal and it is looking much better. I a have taken 2500 grit sandpaper to the scales to clean/smooth them out a bit. I am ordering some Renaissance Wax to finish them off. I will the sharpen and I think I will then be done. It certainly is not perfect, but looks much better than it did.
Photo Nov 24, 8 44 49 PM.jpg
evh

Post by evh »

I thought I would also share pictures of the butcher knives I have and did a quick refinish on. If you read the beginning of this post you will see that my father-in-law's father (my grand father-in-law?) was a butcher. I inherited his butchering knives a year ago. As I am getting into knives and refinishing, I thought why don't I clean them up and use them. I think they are from the 1930s/1940s. The two smaller boning knives below are from the Ontario knife company in Ohio (I think). Below is a before and after picture of them. I actually used the knife labeled "Olsen" to cut the Turkey this Thanksgiving. All knives were very sharp when I took them out. I rubbed the blades a little with 500 grit sandpaper to clean them up a bit and sanded and mineral oiled the handles. I am happy with the results. The sanding produced no dust, but "wood mush (a combination of wood and 40+ years of fat and blood mixed). I had to keep getting new sandpaper as the paper became impregnated with the mush. I am real happy with the results and the knifes are in my kitchen now and will be the only ones I use. Thanks for listening.
Photo Nov 22, 9 43 50 AM.jpg
Photo Nov 23, 7 21 27 AM.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

That's an absolutely beautiful job on that folder, congrats!! Let me warn you, once the bug bites you can't quit :D :D

Eric
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

I agree with Eric the folder is AWESOME! Oh and he is correct also about the bug biting you....at least from my experience it bites hard also. ::tu::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
americanedgetech

Spectacular job on the folder sir! I'd swear it was a different knife.
I have to say that what you did there is 99% skill w/ 1% looking for a better way. The skill won!
I also appreciate the way you cleaned up the butcher knives.
IMHO you went just far enough to make them wonderful users without going too far, and destroying their history.
Very nice work, and a good eye for what is required... works for me! :D
Ken Mc.

evh

Post by evh »

Ea42 you get a beer, landersknives you get a beer, americanedgetech you get a beer! Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. You are correct, the bug has bitten and bitten hard. Is there a support group for spending too much time in knife forums??? I have attached a few more pictures of the folder as the previous “good” picture was an interim one. I still have a bit more polishing to do on the blade, but I am about done (I promise I won’t post any more, as I am working on a new one!!!)

I read where some think that sanding and such can ruin a knife and take away from it’s value. I guess I am taking the approach that they are my knives and if what I am doing enhances their enjoyment to me, that is all that counts. I am taking the approach to not make them like new, but make them look better without changing their character too much.

Ok, one more true knife related story. You saw the picture of the butchering knives that I cleaned up. If you look back to my beginning posts on them you will remember they were my grand-father-in-law’s. He probably started using them in the 30’s.

My father-in-law shared a story that his father was butchering a cow in the barn (likely with the knives I pictured) and my then very young (age 7???) father-in-law was watching from the loft. The blood mixed with the milk and turned brown. My grand-father-in-law told his son he had butchered a chocolate cow. That amazed his son and he went to the front of their house and began telling people and friends that his Dad had butchered a chocolate cow. Again, true story.
Attachments
Photo Nov 29, 7 46 25 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 29, 7 51 34 PM.jpg
Photo Nov 24, 8 44 43 PM.jpg

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”