Camillus 72 Projects

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
#goldpan

Camillus 72 Projects

Post by #goldpan »

Wow do I have a bunch of 72 projects going on. Thank you's go out to Greg and Dale for their assistance with parts for the first generation that I am restoring. Greg provided a couple of beater second generation 72's that I could use for parts. And Dale for looking through his parts collection trying to find a coping blade for the first gen. Dale did not have any luck with finding one so I finally decided to reprofile the original coping blade. It looks much better now. Then I found a perfect pen blade for the first gen and then broke it while krinking the blade. So I reprofiled the old one and it turned out ok as well. Since both blades are a matched set I don't need to krink them!

Then there is the 72 that I pealed off some nasty looking old Delrin handles and I am replacing them with Goldenrod jigged bone. I hope it turns out close to looking like the first gen!

Then I have two second generation 72's that getting Ebony handles and both will have shields.
20171105_154030.jpg
20171105_154519.jpg
One of the two Ebony 72's goes to Greg! Not only did he supply the parts knives used here but the Ebony as well! The other is going in my pocket! Of course the first gen goes into my collection of 72's. Not sure about the Goldenrod 72 yet,might wind up in my store.
americanedgetech

Re: Camillus 72 Projects

Post by americanedgetech »

I don't know how you find the time ..
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

You go Randy! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Busy-Busy-Busy... ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks guys, yes I'm busy. But then I have nothing but time! Forced retirement due to poor health has left me with plenty of time. Well I finished the first gen 72 this morning. Thought I would show it now as I have knives to do for another member here and need to focus on those. I'll be back with the others when I'm done with those!
20171106_115053.jpg
20171106_115113.jpg
20171106_115151.jpg
This one has been placed with my 72 collection. I'll post the other knives that I am doing for Eye Brand Man on a separate thread when I'm done with them. One is a Shrade Walden English jack and the other is a Case Tested XX Coke Bottle folding hunter.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Great work Randy. Looks real nice. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Mike! I cant to see how the rest come out. I love ebony handled knives, but I really want to see how the Goldenrod turns out. The jigging is close to that on the first gen that I just finished. I think the color may be close as well. The English jack that I am working on right now is using the same jigged bone, should be outstanding!
americanedgetech

Beautiful workmanship.
I especially like the finished look of the brass pins. What size style hammer are you using, and are you finishing them with a die?
Ken Mc.

#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Ken. I use a variety of hammers depending what size the pins are. For the pins on the 72 I used the 2 oz hammer with the brass handles at the bottom of the picture.
Attachments
20171106_160501[1].jpg
americanedgetech

I tend to be a little heavy handed until I get the process down so I have bought 8-10 hammers ranging from 2oz to 16 oz, in all sorts of head configurations.
My next project is to use diamond rotary drills to dimple the ends of a few punches. The idea is to replicate that "spun" look or at the very least to reproduce the peening you can do.

Do you ever use a "die" to keep your heads in shape or is it all a matter of practice/experience?
Ken Mc.

#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

For brass pins I just peen a nice mushroom shape with the ball end of my hammer and the final finish is done with a buffing wheel. I thought about a pin spinner at one time. But I am so satisfied with my brass pins I never bothered. I too considered modifying some punches, but as I thought out the process of making heads that way that I decided not to bother. It seemed like a lot of work. Peening is easy. Its having the right amount of pin above the handle surface thats hard to get right. Too long and you bend your pins or the head forms too high above the handle. The fix for that is file it down some more and peen it again! I find that only way they are bound to be too short is if you don't leave enough pin to peen a rivet head on.
americanedgetech

Thanks for the help Randy.
I follow your train of thought in working the idea (dimpled punches) into the dumpster.
I tend to way over think things until I actually begin doing them. Then all the planning ends up in said dumpster, and I just do it. :lol:
The repair knives are piling up, the tools keep coming in but the shop is still a work in progress... ::teary_eyes::

Appreciate the advice, and I really admire your work. ::handshake::
K
Ken Mc.

#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Ken I really liked the modified punch approach until I realized that it takes two hands. One for the punch and one for the hammer. I find that holding the knife on the stiddy with one hand while the other does the peening gives me the best performance when it comes to peening. I like to rock the knife as I peen as well as turn the knife as I work. I also wear a jewelers loop as do this as I can see the head form as I work.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You should have both experience hammer peening and punches. Punches are used in very specific situations-like if the original pins were spun or otherwise formed.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
americanedgetech

I didn't think of peening with a loupe!
I do have one of those 10x magnifying lights that I like to work with but the loupe is a very good idea.
My eyesight is poor to begin with so magnification is a must.

Mr. Bill... I understand.
Randy's peening looked like spun heads until I enlarged the image. That's why I asked...
Not to sound as flippy floppy as a fish on deck but of course I will listen to your advice, and at Least try every method that I come across.
The thing that i pride myself on is doing things correctly, and stopping if I can not meet my goals to learn how.

So I think magnification, and an open mind to methods will go a long way towards getting this right.
Thanks! ::tu::
Ken Mc.

#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

americanedgetech wrote:The thing that i pride myself on is doing things correctly
Ken I know what you mean. And perhaps to a point of being absurd. I have Asperger's Autism and things being done correctly would stop me in my tracks until I could find someone to give me instructions on how to do "it" correctly. Then in my 40's I was having a discussion about guitar playing with a Ranger buddy at work one day. Now my buddy is one hell of a guitar player. So I asked him who taught him how to play. Alan was a student at San Jose State back in 60's and his father was a history professor there and his mother taught there as well. Alan's early guitar instruction came from his father who a stickler for things being done right. One his fathers students was also a guitar player and Alan liked his style. He asked new found friend to play for his father as his father was also his history professor. As this young man played a song his professor his was surprised by the professor asking him to stop playing. The young man was moving beats from one measure to another as he thought it sounded better. The professor told him to give up trying to play the guitar as he had no talent. This young mans name was Jorma Kaukonen. He went on to become a founding member of both the Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna. Playing lead guitar. Alan stopped receiving lessons from his Dad and started taking them from Jorma. My point is its right if you think it right and it actually works for you. If you have an idea on how you can do something but you hold back because you want to do "it" right. Don't hold back. Just do it. I dropped the the thought of doing "it" right years ago and boy am I glad I did. I just wished Alan would have shared the story sooner!
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Very nice 72s and super work as always Randy. I can’t wait to see the ebony done. You always do an outstanding job. You are one of the guys who inspires me. Thank you for that and keep it up. ::handshake:: ::tu::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
americanedgetech

#goldpan wrote:Don't hold back. Just do it.
Thanks Randy. Great story, and I get the point. ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Ed! I should have some pics of the finished knives by next week. ::tu::
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Beautiful project. Thanks for posting.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....randy, beautiful job on that knife!!!!...... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That 72 came close to looking like the bone on the First Generation 72s. Excellent work! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”