Case trapper fat stag

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Landersknives

Case trapper fat stag

Post by Landersknives »

Well guys this is the 4th knife I have tried to fix, repair, restore etc. I know that this knife was a 3254 but it was in horrible shape in fact I bought it for $10. The blades were scratched and scared up really bad. The handles were ... mmm well they were terrible. Someone before me thought it would be a good idea to well I guess try to jig the yellow composition scales and color the spots black. You can see in the pictures. There are a couple fit and finish issues but I think I gave this trapper a new lease on life. It will be with me till I die and then go to me son. I am starting a roll of stuff that I rehandle, restore, and things of that nature. This is my first time putting a shield in and I think I did ok. It is flush and doesn’t look bad to me. Well guys tell me what you think and thank you for your comments.
Attachments
C6DDE572-30CA-43A4-8BD7-5C157750772F.jpeg
FC93A60A-9DAB-4092-A74A-7202BC67BAAE.jpeg
548DCBC1-CA0E-462B-AE5A-C4FB52455DF7.jpeg
05CC093C-86F8-4B57-BA33-CE6BAEC01F7B.jpeg
EAE1AF68-957F-4B78-926E-448ACE844664.jpeg
2B32222A-1C15-4772-85EE-E29FE66B9D13.jpeg
5AC3E936-3F86-4540-A09E-43D5B7BA02A9.jpeg
CC599660-DB0F-4207-8EC0-8EBF6665B16F.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
espn77

Re: Case trapper fat stag

Post by espn77 »

That's hilarious, your right, those jigged yellow handles were disgusting. But those stag handles look amazing. Great work Ed.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thanks Keith I think it looks a whole lot better. I have to work on my picture taking ability. The pictures really do not do the stag justice. It is beautiful... I may try and take some pics outside and see if they are better.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Very much improved. Good job.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Nice work Ed! That stag is outstanding! ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Talk about an ugly duckling that became a beautiful swan...Niiiice bit of magic, Ed.

~Q~
~Q~
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Very professional looking. Great Job.

Bob
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate hearing the opinions and it helps me believe it or not. Everyone likes to hear the nice good opinions but I also like constructive criticism because that is what makes you better. I am really happy with the out come but I want to strive to get better. I really inspire to be as good as Glennbad, Mr. Dale, there are so many talented knife mechanics on here and I would like to be one of those guys. I respect all the cutlers on here who take something that needs tlc, or maybe just to be transformed and makes a beautiful exquisite knife. Thanks goes to Bryan also for making and keeping this wonderful site running and the administrators. This site helps aspiring knife mechanics get feedback not only from peers but also knife collectors and admirers to make us better. I just want to say thanks to everyone. I LOVE this site! ::groove::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That looks like a dandy, Ed! And thank you for the kind words. People like myself, Dale, Bob, Kaleb, Randy, etc., started out just like you are doing. Takes a lot of practice and mistakes, but you will get there. Don't be discouraged when things go wrong, it happens to all of us.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Great rehandle job.
I never understood the burning the stag though- ::barf::
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thank you Glenn, the men you named are all on my wall of cutlers fame along with Mr. Bill DeShivs. Mr. Bill sir I like all natural stag myself as well but I think the burnt stag look has it’s own pleasing attributes. I have yet to try and use potassium pomegranate but I do look forward to using that also. Thank you for the compliment on the rehandle. I hope to improve and get better on my shield work. For my first inlaid shield I am very proud but I also know there is room for improvement. Thanks and much gratitude.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

It's a great looking transformation. No doubt about it.

I used to re-build, and modify guitars, and the most difficult aspect to get thru my own head was the inlays.
I had to CONSTANTLY remind myself to "creep up" on the cutting. Even a 1/4" dot in a 1/4" hole has to be under cut, and gradually fitted using finer, and finer tooling.
That was my own nightmare, and I still struggle with it after many years.

I think you did a slam up job so just do what you do, and it will always get better because YOU know your tough points.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”