PK-2 PROBLEMS

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
MUD

PK-2 PROBLEMS

Post by MUD »

I already posted on the GERBER thread, figured I'd hit here too.
I finally got around to this PK-2 I found awhile back. It's in pretty good shape other than the lock.
This project is a little intimidating to me because I know me.
I can tear stuff up so it ain't fit for the job yard. I don't really want that, so I'm looking for a little advice on the way to proceed.
IMG_20170913_121538242.jpg
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
americanedgetech

Re: PK-2 PROBLEMS

Post by americanedgetech »

Can you post a side view of the knife? Never mind, found it...

One fix is to disassemble the knife, and use a small drift punch to "tap" the end of the liner lock expanding the metal to effectively lengthen the lock.

It looks like the blade was forced toward closing, bending the lock so that also has to be addressed.
Either you are comfortable tearing it down, or I am certain a member here can do it for you.

Here is a vid that may help you decide... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ_alRnX324
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The knife may have to come apart to be properly repaired. I don’t like to drive those pins out with the drift because they are tapered and driving them out can mess up the taper of the hole, essentially reaming it out so there’s no taper and the replacement pin won’t stay in securely.

I use an undersized drill for a center pilot hole and then use a larger drill to enlarge the hole until you have removed the center of the pin down about 3/32” so that when you do tap it out the thinned wall of the tapered end of the pin will collapse inward and not enlarge the hole. This will save you having to drill the hole oversize and re-tapering it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
americanedgetech

orvet wrote:The knife may have to come apart to be properly repaired. I don’t like to drive those pins out with the drift because they are tapered and driving them out can mess up the taper of the hole, essentially reaming it out so there’s no taper and the replacement pin won’t stay in securely.
I did not mean to "drift" the pins out. You are 100% correct on drilling them.

What I meant was using a drift to expand the metal on the end of the liner lock (if needed) to prevent 100% plus lock up.
That is of course once the knife is disassembled, and the liner lock bar is straightened or actually returned to its functioning position.

The Vid. I linked shows a fella "peening" the liner lock bar to fix that 100% plus lock up issue.

I really don't think the OP knife can be fixed without disassembly. Maybe you can get it to close but not to work correctly without tearing it down. JMHO
Ken Mc.

MUD

Post by MUD »

Thank you gentlemen. I had hoped that y'all might know a trick that would work without dissassembly.
Thank you Mr. Dale for letting me know the pins tapered. Like I said, haven't been in one of these and I sure didn't know.
My gratitude to y'all. I owe you.
My name is Mud,
americanedgetech

No worries MUD,
I feel I owe you for posting something to think about. ::tu::

I can see a skilled person repairing that to like new or better than new condition in a little more than an hour.
Ken Mc.

MUD

Post by MUD »

Well unfortunately I'm nowhere near skilled, just enjoying what I'd rather be doing than working. And learning. About an hour into this I can see me throwing everything put the window, going to retrieve everything form the yard with my big nail magnet, trying again and saying Hellwithit!!!!! Gointogitabeer!!

Hopefully that ain't the case, but its high on the list.

Thanks again.
My name is Mud,

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”