Bending bone, antler, and adhesives...

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
americanedgetech

Bending bone, antler, and adhesives...

Post by americanedgetech »

This topic came up twice today so I thought I would post what I know on the subject, and see what more there is to learn about it.
I hope Dale (Orvet) does not mind my quoting him from another thread but it is useful information to this thread, and I did not wish to clutter the other thread.
orvet wrote:
americanedgetech wrote: Ps... if your handle begins to warp as it dehydrates again... look more into the vinegar method. It works on bone by dissolving calcium that can be replaced with Crazy Glue.
I have used white vinegar and water to straighten warped stag. According to a quick bit of research online antler is essentially bone so if your superglue method works to stabilize bone that has been decalcified by vinegar it should work for antler as well.
I will try it because I have some warped stag that came from the Henckel’s factory that has been drying out since approx 1960 or longer. I was successful in straightening some of it with the white vinegar and water method, but some of the worst pieces did warp again when they dried. I will try the white vinegar and then stabilizing it with CA.
Thanks for the info, I will put it to the test! ::nod::

I would stipulate however that when attaching the antler handles to the liners I always use epoxy and never a cyanoacrylate glue (superglue or CA glue). The reason is the bond formed by a cyanoacrylate glue is not flexible and it is easy to sheer. Dropping a knife that has the handle secured by cyanoacrylate glue can result in the bond between the liner and the handle being shared by the jarring caused when the knife hits a hard surface. That is also the reason I never use a CA adhesive to install a shield. For both handles and shields I use 5 minute epoxy because it is more flexible than 15 minute and 30 minute epoxy and is less likely to failed due to the shearing forces caused by impact.

What I know is from building, and repairing guitars. The piece at the head of the guitar is made from bone. It is called the head nut or top nut. On old guitars that have sat for many years without string tension that bone "nut" can warp, and pop loose from the head. The preferred method is to replace the original piece but many guys will sand or file it flat, and re-glue it.
That changes both the action (string height), and intonation (length between the head nut, and the tail bridge). That small change may just ruin a beautifully tuned instrument.
The fella that taught me how to complete this repair CORRECTLY is long gone. He worked at 47th Street Guitars in Manhattan for thirty plus years. I was 19 or 20 at the time, and of course I was a budding rock star. I wound up being a better technician so my music never took off.

Anyway... The only reason bone is hard is because of calcium. Most of bone is tissue similar to cartilage. It's that tissue that keeps it together.
Soaking bone in white vinegar (acetic acid) for a period of time will dissolve the calcium, and leave the bone pliable. Left alone that bone will re-harden but it becomes softer and brittle. You can actually cut it with a knife like ... dried cartilage.
Because the calcium is now gone there are microscopic holes left, and those holes can be re-filled with CA glue to make the bone hard again. It is possible that the acrylic polymers used in stabilizing handle materials can be used but I have never done it, and I am not familiar with that process (yet).

So in these warped bone posts I do know my mentors methods work even tho I have never used this method on a knife handle. The application does not matter. It's the bone that matters.

Mr. Dale stated that Antler is similar to bone, and I have to think that is correct. It is formed in much the same way......... I'll have to give it a try when the opportunity presents itself.

Now for adhesives, I have a box of 15 Elk Ridge knives that were sent to me as a thanks for another order. They are all stainless handles with inlay-ed wood, acrylic, and a couple are Abalone. The inlays are almost all popped out (that's why they were free to me), and I can see they were crazy glued. That goes along w/ Mr. Dales statement on CA glue being too brittle for use as a primary adhesive on knife handles. So it looks like epoxy will be the choice there.

Now here is my next question.
In the marine business the epoxies used will be more flexible if the curing time is longer. Faster cure times mean brittle glass, and future "spider cracking".

Are you all SURE about the faster epoxies you use curing to be more flexible? That is counter to what the epoxies I use do. I use mainly BASF Industrial, and RAKA 127. RAKA also makes a 900 version which cures faster but is more brittle so I only use it in certain cases.

I hope this thread is helpful, and I hope to learn a few things here.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bending bone, antler, and adhesives...

Post by orvet »

Ken, you seem to me like the kind of guy who likes to research a problem or an issue thoroughly, something I think we share in common.
This is the link below to what I would call the ultimate glue research forum topic. I watched this research topic unfolds several years ago in The Knife Networks forum. A custom knife maker Steve, I believe Sando is his last name and another knife maker/knife supply house owner Tracy Mickely, owner of USA Knife Makers Supply were the two principal researchers and testers.

After the research and testing was over I contacted Tracy via email and ultimately via phone and we discussed the result of the testing. He said best epoxy he had found was a golf shaft epoxy. He said the epoxy that we buy currently under the Bob Smith label and was private labeled for a number of companies, is the golf shaft adhesive he used on his knife handles. I asked him specifically about impact resistance and he said the five-minute adhesive is more flexible and has better resistance to shearing via impact than do the 15 minute and 30 minute epoxies made by the same company.

I have not scientifically tested the veracity of his statement but I have no reason to doubt him. I have been using the five-minute epoxy as my go to adhesive for about 10 years and have yet had a failure of the adhesive when it is properly prepared.
May I suggest you read the topic; “Testing for the Ultimate Adhesive” and then returned to our discussion. I believe Mick calls the epoxy in question “shafting adhesive.”

Here is the link: http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showt ... lue&page=9

Anyone else interested in adhesives and their performance, how to get maximum performance and how to make them fail should probably read this topic. It’s 19 pages long and covers 10 years, 2005 – 2015 but it is an excellent repository of information! It will probably change the way you use and the way you view adhesives in the knife you build.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
americanedgetech

First thing in the morning, and I already have a giant smile on my face! Thank you!

Yeah, I am the guy that likes to understand what I am doing a lot more than just doing something because I "heard" it works.
What you say makes sense because epoxies are much like cakes... The ingredients are almost exactly the same but the recipes differ, yielding very different results. Golf club epoxies make perfect sense now that I know that is the "version" of epoxy you use. Impact tolerance, and flexibility are a must. Cure time still has me stumped (only due to a couple decades of using a different type epoxy) so I'll get to reading that link when I get home tonight.

I knew there was more to learn on this topic.
Thanks again Dale!!! ::tu::
Ken
Ken Mc.

espn77

Post by espn77 »

Ken, I've seen a lot of your posts in the last 30 days. Would love to see some pictures of your knife collection. We love pictures of knives here on aapk.
americanedgetech

I'd love to post them up as well.
For the last 5-6 years I have lived without a cell phone so I don't have a phone or a camera. In fact I am the worst picture taker ever!!! so the camera deal is tough for me.

I'm looking into the scanner method, and I tried my Cannon printer but it was worse than my pictures.
If anyone could suggest a cell phone camera or scanner model or even a regular camera that I can get on Ebay (used) I will be VERY grateful. Like under 50 bucks used...
I'm not a fan of wasting money on those type items but I am in a position where I do need something.
When I open the shop it will be Magic Jack, and a real phone. When I leave for the day... Leave a message.

I'd love to show some of what I have bought. I'm fairly proud of many of my choices.

Edit: I'm on page 17 of that adhesive thread. I love the tag team approach. It's pretty close to a proper "control group".
Many things have me curious for answers so I'll wait till I finish the thread to ask. The rust leaching under the epoxy is one area I am very curious about. ::nod::
Ken Mc.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

You will have to refresh my memory Ken, it had been years since I read much of the adhesive thread.
I seen rust under Gorilla glue but not epoxy.

I did soak some stag and clamped it to some 1.5" angle. We will see how it works to flatten it when it dries.

I left a couple pieces of white bone in the vinegar to see how much calcium it will lose overnight.

If you want a scanner for knives I recommend an Epson, not the cheap ones but a flatbed scanner (flatbed a must) in Epson's mid range; about $250-$350 last time I priced them. I used to use a scanner and Charlie (upnorth) still does. We found Epson had a better focal range than the others. I tried a $175 Epson and it couldn't focus right for a knife. The part touching the glass was in focus but 1/4" above the glass and the knife was out of focus. Bernard Levine recommends putting a manila envelope behind a knife being scanned. Don't just use the lid of the scanner. I bought a special clean chamois I used behind knives I scanned. I think that works best.

The printer/scanner combos move the object being scanned, no problem for a sheet of paper but a knife jerks & moves and is out of focus.

I think that is all for tonight. :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
just bob

Post by just bob »

[quote If anyone could suggest a cell phone camera or scanner model or even a regular camera that I can get on Ebay (used) I will be VERY grateful. Like quote]

I have a Nikon Coolpix L24 with a broken battery door. This is common on these and if you go to Google and search you can see the ingenious methods people have came up with to remedy the broken door. I have 3 of these cameras and wouldn't be without one. The fact that I can use them indicates they are idiot proof and they take great close up pictures. I use them on ebay. You'll have to get a memory card and some batteries and you'll be ready to go. Send me $5 for the postage or a broken / damaged Case knife and we'll be square.

PM me your mailing address if you'd like to have it.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
americanedgetech

orvet wrote:You will have to refresh my memory Ken, it had been years since I read much of the adhesive thread.
I seen rust under Gorilla glue but not epoxy.

I did soak some stag and clamped it to some 1.5" angle. We will see how it works to flatten it when it dries.

I left a couple pieces of white bone in the vinegar to see how much calcium it will lose overnight.

If you want a scanner for knives I recommend an Epson, not the cheap ones but a flatbed scanner (flatbed a must) in Epson's mid range; about $250-$350 last time I priced them.
Thank you Dale.
On pages 14 ish thru 17 ish, they are discussing rust leaching in from the edges, and creeping under the epoxy. It may get more into the urethane glue(s), and rust but not at this point.
I'll post the "cliff notes" once I finish.

For those guitar head nuts I mentioned I leave them to soak overnight in pure white vinegar. That is just enough time to make them flex without becoming soft overall. Of course it is the thickness of the stock that matters, and most of these pieces are approx. 3/8"x5/16" just as a guide.
On the guitar I use a piece of wax paper between the nut, and the body as an isolator. Clamp the nut/bone in place on the wax paper, and let it dry in front of a fan for a few days (after rinsing in water). Then from the bottom of the nut I apply the CA glue. The wax paper holds the glue in place so that it can wick up into the bone. once cured the paper is easily sanded away w/ Emory paper on a file or flat board
For scales I think a plate of 1/4" thick glass, and the wax paper will work a charm.

Thanks for the scanner info as well. I tried making a frame (1" tall cardboard), and background of white paper for the Cannon printer but focus was the problem. I also read Mr. Levine's tutorial, and found he mentioned the same scanner as you so I will be seeking one out on the Flea - used.

just bob wrote:[quote If anyone could suggest a cell phone camera or scanner model or even a regular camera that I can get on Ebay (used) I will be VERY grateful. Like quote]

I have a Nikon Coolpix L24 with a broken battery door. This is common on these and if you go to Google and search you can see the ingenious methods people have came up with to remedy the broken door. I have 3 of these cameras and wouldn't be without one. The fact that I can use them indicates they are idiot proof and they take great close up pictures. I use them on ebay. You'll have to get a memory card and some batteries and you'll be ready to go. Send me $5 for the postage or a broken / damaged Case knife and we'll be square.

PM me your mailing address if you'd like to have it.
Thank YOU Mr. Bob. This is very kind of you to offer. I have added a few cameras to my "watch list" but I never pulled the trigger because I have NO clue as to what would work for me, and camera jargon is like a language from another galaxy that I have zero interest in learning.
If you believe that this is something that will work for a camera klutz, I will be MORE than happy to take you up on this generous offer.
I also have not collected any Case knives yet but I do have quite a few pretty little things. I'm sure I can pick out something that you may appreciate.
We'll leave that as a surprise... ::woot::
Thank you!!! ::tu::
Ken Mc.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”