Sharpening lesson

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Greenbone_67

Sharpening lesson

Post by Greenbone_67 »

[image][/image]So I went to a local fair and one of the vendors held demonstrations for thie fancy sharpening wheel, and I hesitantly passed my knife to the vender to sharpen. "Don't worry I won't hurt it," he said. I stood there in awe of this Tormek sharpener and walked away impressed with my "razor sharp" blade, but lo and behold, I later discovered a slip with the grinder. Well, this is my first GEC knife, and I hate to let this little mark bug me, but I can't. I've had so much bad luck with Case knives that came [image][/image]in the mail with one issue or another. This GEC seems to be built so much better, and this is only my novice opinion. Anyway, I am wondering if it's going to cause more harm if I try and sand these marks out. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sharpening lesson

Post by philco »

The best advice I can give is to leave it be.

The second best advice I can give is to learn to sharpen your own knife. (If you do so, you'll be glad you did for the rest of your life.)
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Welcome, Greenbone_67,
Phil gives good advice here. Leave it be and let it be a reminder to (almost) never hand your knife to anybody.
Especially someone with a grinder.
Many folks have learned to sharpen a knife before you and you can learn too. I recommend using stones.
Nice knife you have there. ::tu::
Joe
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I agree with Phil! ::tu::

I was at an event at the local fairgrounds and a guy was doing free sharpening. I asked what grit he was using on his 1 x 42 belt sander. He said "400 grit." I could tell from the color of the belts that they were Kilingspor gold belts which have aluminum oxide abrasive, great for wood but not as good for steel as they wear out too quickly. When he couldn't give me a strait answer on how often he changed belts I knew he really didn't know what he's was doing. I think he bought a franchise and took a class.

I use 150 grit ceramic belts and change them often, they are about $4 each, but I change them often so they stay sharp, as a sharp belt generates less heat than a dull one. His belts are about $1.90 if you but direct from Kilingspor.

Because 400 is so much finer it generates more heat from the start. Alum oxide breaks down and gets dull faster than ceramic and thus generates more heat.
He looked hurt when I politely declined his offer but I was EDCing a Benchmade that was fairly new. He couldn't have gotten it sharper with his method and equipment.

As for your GEC, Tormek is good equipment and if he knew what he was doing that wouldn't have happened. I have a basic generic version of the Tormek type machine and it is outstanding!
I think he just goofed, which is easy to do especially when learning to sharpen free hand.

I would just leave the GEC alone and eventually you will sharpen that away. It won't hurt anything, its just annoying!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Mountain Man Knives

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

Greenbone_67 wrote:[image][/image]So I went to a local fair and one of the vendors held demonstrations for thie fancy sharpening wheel, and I hesitantly passed my knife to the vender to sharpen. "Don't worry I won't hurt it," he said. I stood there in awe of this Tormek sharpener and walked away impressed with my "razor sharp" blade, but lo and behold, I later discovered a slip with the grinder. Well, this is my first GEC knife, and I hate to let this little mark bug me, but I can't. I've had so much bad luck with Case knives that came [image][/image]in the mail with one issue or another. This GEC seems to be built so much better, and this is only my novice opinion. Anyway, I am wondering if it's going to cause more harm if I try and sand these marks out. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Green Bone ~ I know how you must feel about that one, worse than Adrian Monk Syndrome ~ You should be able to get those scratches out with some sand paper ~ That edge would drive me crazy as well where whomever sharpened it screwed up the edge close to the kick ~ Lansky sharpening System can cure that too or a steady hand with a belt sander ~ I wouldn't just live with it myself, if it bothers you I say Fix it ~ I would ~
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Just MY opinion but if the knife has nothing more than EDC value (to you), I would have it re-profiled.

That is a blade that I pass up on several times a day. To re-work the edge, and chiol will make it presentable again but the value is gone. Nothing can be done to go backwards now.

Either (as suggested) use the blade to learn on or find a vendor here that can bring the pride of carry back for you.
Every blade holds a story. The story usually dissolves with the owner so it may be a valuable knife to the next generation IF you have it "fixed". If not (IMHO) it's a knife to be "passed" on.

Sorry for your loss... :x
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Greenbone_67

Post by Greenbone_67 »

Thanks everyone. It's a rugged little knife, and I don't mind practicing with it. I just got a GEC Beagle yesterday, and I got a feeling I'll be getting more. Here's a pic of my small GEC collection, and the lanky sharpener I've been practicing with. I do okay with it, but I'm not sure if I'm raising a bur like I've been reading about. I'm going to have to get a little better at sharpening soon, because I hear the S30V steel on this Benchmade Proper will be harder to sharpen. It seems to be holding it's edge so far.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

DMT Diamond stones.

The natural stones are what they are but diamond stones are like Surround Sound compared to an AM transistor radio. The steel will not matter. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”