Business advice...Wanted!

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
americanedgetech

Business advice...Wanted!

Post by americanedgetech »

Ok. My reason for posting is to ask for pricing guidelines.

My intent is to open a mortar shop that caters to every day guys that need sharp, and efficient tools.
I'm focusing on saw blades, band mill blades, circular saw blades, and drill bits. These are the most common tools used here.

My passion is knives, and that includes scissors, chisels, router bits, and anything that CAN be sharpened.

Soooooo what I am asking for is price guidelines on pocket knives in general.
Tool blades I know from comparable(s) in my area. 6 bucks for a band mill blade is normal BUT it has to be shipped/mailed to Georgia. They charge a few bucks more for tooth setting, and cleaning. All in 12-15 bucks for what I can do in 15 minutes.

I am local, and can adjust to meet customers needs. No worries there...

My concern is knives. Pocket knives, vintage knives, and EDC knives.

What would YOU pay for a complete cleaning/lubrication "job" per knife? I mean professional work... What would you pay?
Next ? is What would you pay to have a blade PRO sharpened? Figure ANY 2-5" blade.

What about re-profiling a blade. Setting a new edge.

Polishing a blade? Polishing bolsters?
NOT with cloth pads but the wooden wheels used a century ago to keep crisp edges.

While it is apparent that I am brand spanking new to the tool, and knife industry, I do have the skill set(s) to be a true professional.
40 something years of working has set my life to today.

All I am asking for is price guidelines (assuming I am worth it)

I assume that 3 bucks for a "bath", and lubrication is fair. (Ultrasonic cleaner)
Perhaps #3 for a pro sharpening. (diamond honed, and polished on a strop) mirror edge.

7 bucks for a re-profile/sharpening?

12 bucks for everything?

I am asking because I want to be fair. I don't want money, and I don't want to take anything that I do not deserve.
My life is fine without knives/tools but I realized that this field is where I want to be at 58 years old.
No more boats, and no more sweating in the Florida sun.

Please give me YOUR input on pricing, and I WILL follow it.
Thanks guys...
Ken Mc
kenmc@americanedgetech dot com (Im not advertising. I will pay for my gold before I do) I'm just asking for honest advice from the knife community.
Thx
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Business advice...Wanted!

Post by glennbad »

I'm not sure about pricing for those services, but shipping will need to figure into your pricing. Priority USPS (Small box) is around $7
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I would think that if you can make a buck at those prices they would be more than reasonable. I would charge more. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
americanedgetech

Ok (again) I do have a web domain purchased, (americanedgetech dot com) and my thought for that is SOLELY to sell vintage/antique knives. sort of "flipping" but not really. I'll list what I paid, and ask for an offer. (bad business model I KNOW)
The site is not my concern as a primary source of income. In fact I HATE the internet sales concept. Too much stress for me.

My primary concern is keeping the people in my community happy. We do not have a service such as I will present within 60 miles (sharpening service). On top of that there are NO vintage knife sellers within 2-3 hundred miles of Carrabelle. Look it up!
I mean REAL sellers. Not pawn shops or jewelry stores.
The knife sales are purely ADD ON's while a customer is waiting for something else. Like the Candy isle at the supper market.
I made the mistake of LOVING every knife I have bought, and I will continue to love them.

What I am asking is, IF you had a shop in town that would sharpen... What would YOU pay?
Ultrasonoc clean... Value? (check my other thread)
Re-Profile a fillet knife?
New Handle(s)? subjective
I know I am getting more subjective in my questions so I'll ask simply... If you were to pay for a service, What would you feel is fair?

I hate to ask anyone to make a price list but that IS what I am asking.
Fair value for a service provided.

Is this the first thread asking or is there another I can review?
Thanks for your input guys. It might change my life. Really!
K
Ken Mc.

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

That sounds fair.....
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

"Professional" sharpeners who know nothing about knife history, values, etc., do more of a disservice than service.
Most are simply concerned about getting a piece of metal sharp. This is fine for most modern, common knives-but if you can't spot what SHOULDN'T be sharpened, you will not be a true professional.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
americanedgetech

Thank you Jerry! I think I am on the right track. I just need mass input to be able to back up my ideas.

Mr. Bill,
I agree with you 100%. There are some items that should not be touched other than functional cleaning. Even that may be subjective.

This is why I am spending fewer hours working, and sleeping... to learn.
I am 110% confident in my skill sets. No Fear at all!
I am "That Guy". I have done very well at everything I have attempted. From cutting boards for framers to veterinary care to chemistry to "understanding" Neuro science, to developing a hypothesis on the reality of Black Holes.
I've won national races on machines I build in my own shops, built half (at least) of my own tooling, I've had bikes, boats, cars, RC models publicized.

(humble pie it's not). I act a fool but I am far from. :wink:

My goal is to put everything I have done in 58 years into a basket. I'll add everything I am learning, and practicing into that basket, and throw them all in the clothes dryer until "I" am ready.

No Fear, No Worries, No competition...

Can I ask how you charge for the basics I listed? Just the basics...I may be way off base, and selling myself short. I do not know.
I am just going by what I would pay, and pay again. (repeat customers are your best customers)!!! ::super_happy::

Ohhh.... Just because any person has a jillion years in one field (IMHO) That alone does not make them good at what they do. MANY people out there are HACKS, and have been repeating the same mistakes they learned a jillion years ago.
Just saying my goal is to be better than good. It is to be the best. Always has been. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Glad you understand.
Sounds like you have your head in the right place.
I can't help with pricing, as my work is all different. I charge an hourly rate of $70.
Competition is not a problem-there are probably a half dozen guys that do the kind of work I do, plus 2 or 3 hacks that counterfeit.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
americanedgetech

Bill DeShivs wrote: I can't help with pricing, as my work is all different. I charge an hourly rate of $70.
Competition is not a problem-there are probably a half dozen guys that do the kind of work I do, plus 2 or 3 hacks that counterfeit.
Thank you sir,
I do realize that you are an artisan, and my desire is to be a master technician. Two different genres in the same field... so the apples/oranges idea comes to mind.

I am trying to scale down, and simplify my life while using the skills my life has given me. Local Joe kind of shop w/ a cup of coffee always at the ready.
Designing, and building is not a reasonable passion for me but it will make for a great pass time. Late night at the shop, hanging w/ the dog(s), and passing the time working out issues.

I greatly appreciate your input as part of the process, and as a reality check. I keep advice with me forever.
Thanks!!! ::handshake::
Ken Mc
Ken Mc.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”